Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Interesting article on an AMG engine in the V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Interesting article on an AMG engine in the V8 Vantage

The piece is pure conjecture, but it certainly makes for interesting reading? What do you guys think? http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...ign=2013-12-17

Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
If we have to accept forced induction, still would rather see supercharged engines over turbos, but that's wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I have been saying the SLK55 motor is the perfect engine for the aston for over a year now long before the official agreement was set in place. Many have scoffed at the idea, but I think out of all the engines it makes perfect sense. It's naturally aspirated, has cylinder deactivation (and stop start if necessary). Gets great gas mileage, sounds fantastic, and can fit into very tight spaces.

Remember, in the Mercedes that motor is heavily detuned with terrible log manifolds. If Aston breathed their own influence on it with log runner style exhaust manifolds and a freer fowling intake/exhaust, that motor is easily capable of 450-470. Better yet it is a 5.5L that can turn into a 2.8L 4-cylinder on commands at any given moment.

Most importantly is the AMG 5.5L motor is a torque monster, where as Aston V8s have long since been void of torque by comparison.

Been saying this is the perfect motor for a long time, looks like it may actually become a reality, I say bring it on!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
HORRIBLE!

For all the reasons that have been discussed before, this is precisely what is potentially wrong with the AMG deal -- AMG engines just dropped into an Aston. I'd take my current 4.7 Aston-engined V8V over a Benz-engined one every single time.

David Brown chose not to drop other companies' engines into Astons -- he said such a car "wouldn't be an Aston Martin." Victor Gauntlett chose not to drop other companies' engines into Astons. Astons are "thoroughbreds," he said, and using someone else's engine would completely undermine that. AMG-engined "Astons" would be the end of Aston Martin IMO, and would ensure that I would not buy another new one.

The AMG deal must result in bespoke Aston engines, as the press release says it will. "Bespoke" to the same degree as the current engines (to reiterate, the current V8 is "based on" the Jag V8 but has its own Aston-only block, crank, bearings, rods, pistons, rings, cams, valves, heads, etc.) would suffice for me.

BTW, the article understates the 4.7's torque as 321 lbs.ft. If you're making a comparison about torque, at least get the numbers right. It's 346 lbs.ft for the V8V and 361 for the S.

If I want an AMG engine, I'll buy an AMG. When I buy an Aston Martin, I want an Aston Martin engine.

Last edited by Speedraser; 12-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Heck, I say, if they'll dry sump it, mod the hardware to Aston style, and ensure the the stroke and valving provide an Aston sound and feel, it could very well be the next Vantage heart.

BUT, it'd better do over 450hp if it's to carry the V8V into the next decade.

And since Xmas is coming, here are some other things for my stocking:
Lighter moving parts and more light, free revving in general.
Even better balance for even lower vibration.
Dual clutch tranny with firm clicking in the paddles
Not even a bit of that corny, AMG over tuned exhaust note (nor Jag's).

That should do for now.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The SLK 55

Before the 09 Vantage, I had a 06 SLK 55 with a custom interior that I had planned to ship to Colorado to get the Kleemann Supercharger kit installed (about $20K) taking it to 550 or 600 HP depending upon what I wanted to spend. The stock 55 throttle response was terrible and seemed felt less HP than it had, supposedly fixed some in the new SLK 55. The new one passed me by a few months ago as I was walking - sounded very nice with it's active exhaust. The AMG motor felt very American - lower revving with low end torque. The Vantage seems more exotic-like and in every way made the SLK inferior. The Kleemannized SLK 55 would have been a street monster and about $25,000 less investment than the 09 Vantage. I'm sure AMG can tune an engine close to the Vantage feel and sound - if not better. The AMG engines are pretty bullet-proof, however I had a 2001 SLK32 AMG with some glitches that made it lose power and they did not stand behind it and refused to warranty 'loss of power'. Fortunately the Mercedes dealer I bought the car from continued support. Eventually after I sold the car it was some electronic glitch in an intercooler doohickey that they found.