Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch Options V8V-S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Clutch Options V8V-S?

This is a 2012 withe Sportshift II transmission. I love it most of the time but it's been acting up a bit lately. I'm getting myself emotionally prepare for the dealership to tell me the clutch is almost gone. Besides the fact that I have owned/own several standards and fully understand why the wear out.... the emotional part will come when they unfold their unholy parchment of hourly calculations and part cost that are marked up so that they can mark them down (because they want you happy) and still sell you a part that is designed to wear out in precisely half the time it took the oem part to fall apart. /rant

Any aftermarket options on clutches for this trans?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:05 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
What mileage have you got on it?
Not come across many ASM2 cars with clutch problems
Bamford rose do a better aftermarket clutch if you are in the UK?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 AM
The car is at 26k miles now. Personally I think a clutch should last until at least 50k miles but I don't know what to expect out from the auto-shift transmission.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
On the ASM1 my feeling is that 25K is what to expect. I don't know how much better ASM2 is in that regards.

Of course, Aston told me when mine went at 8K that it was within the "normal wear range", and thus was 100% my cost. I still don't buy this one and believe something was actually wrong that cause it to wear that fast.

So, yes, don't be surprised at a $6K bill to replace the clutch coming in the near future. Just be careful because it does go very quickly from "acting up" to "stopped dead", so don't let it go too far or you are libel to be stuck somewhere waiting for a flatbed to pick you up.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
ASM2 is a lot better than ASM1 because
It does auto learns on start up if you leave it for 30 seconds
It has no creep mode
Reverse is closer to first

So I'd be confident an S will do better on mileage from a clutch
Have you tried the high gear low revs roll on to see if it slips?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by mikey k
So I'd be confident an S will do better on mileage from a clutch
Have you tried the high gear low revs roll on to see if it slips?
I haven't tried that, I'm sure it is a fair way to test it but it also seems like a fair way to burn off whatever is left on the old clutch.

I'd like to know if there are other clutch options for a AMT style gearbox. I'm just not sure if the clutch has its own set of sensors? Or does the transmission ecu just make calculations based on engine speed vs wheel speed? Does the clutch have to have a specific friction characteristic or can the ecu adjust? ie: can I order a Spec clutch or do I have to use a clutch designed to work with the Aston ecu?