Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Valve Seal Leak and Aston Martin dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM
BlueCrush is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bluebarchetta for that advise. That was my thoughts too on the matter.

I'll be going there tomorrow to discuss this with them and I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Best of luck to you

Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta
Ok, so you're there and I'm not. I'm not throwing out accusations, but I think the conversation I'd have with them would be something along the line of:

1. I paid you money to find out what was wrong with the car (if anything) before I bought it. You identified the oil leak and said it was no biggie. I purchased the car based on your representation of its condition. If I had known there was a $4k repair needed, I could have used that information to get a reduced price on the car, or get the vehicle fixed by the seller

2. I then paid you almost $2k to fix a "no biggie" oil leak. And you didn't fix it

3. Now you want to charge me $4k more, to fix an oil leak you mis diagnosed twice?

I'm generally ultra easygoing. However, this would not sit well. At the very least I'd have a conversation with the service manager, and if that wasn't effective, the general manager. There's no way you should be out $6k to fix something they missed twice. Honestly I could consider allowing them some room for error, if this wasn't such a well know issue with the cars. Even my dealer, who is very new to AM knew about it.

Like AM Fixer, I'd be hesitant to take it to an independent, unless they had experience with this repair. It does take some significant work to do properly. I really do think the dealer should make some significant accommodation considering the history of the situation

However, just my opinion
This x10

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM
BlueCrush is on a distinguished road
So I went in an spoke with my service advisor about the situation. He said he had already discounted the service with the price presented based on the history and I would need to talk with the manager so I did.

Met with the manager and explained the situation, he spoke with the people that was involved (tech etc). He looked into the process AM had in place for this problem and said the initial service that was done was per protocol and this would be the next step to fix the problem..

So long story short he offer 20% off the previous quoted price.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Keep escalating. That's just not right.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
They're looking at it as a service cost. And weather thier first repair was per protocol or not, is really not the point.

This is actually a cost that you are incurring because of their (hate to use this word) negligent PPI. That is the real issue.

The fact is you have already contributed $2k toward mitigating their mistake. You should not be contributing more.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
I would dispute the credit card charges for the PPI & first fix. Clearly they didn't do them correct. Do you have a 'statement of work' for either one?

Last edited by yankee04; 01-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
They're looking at it as a service cost. And weather thier first repair was per protocol or not, is really not the point.

This is actually a cost that you are incurring because of their (hate to use this word) negligent PPI. That is the real issue.

The fact is you have already contributed $2k toward mitigating their mistake. You should not be contributing more.
Seriously, listen to this man!

It's a crappy situation, but the fact of the matter is YOU are paying for THEIR mistake.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
Seriously, listen to this man!

It's a crappy situation, but the fact of the matter is YOU are paying for THEIR mistake.
I don't see it that way. Didn't AMFixer state that there is a first procedure that is performed and only if this doesn't work a more costly 2nd type is conducted? (see previous page). If this is true, then what recourse is there?

The leak was identified as a TC leak, dealer attempted factory fix the cheaper way, and it wasn't resolved. The only issue I see is that perhaps they should have told the owner that there were 2 ways of fixing it, and which did he want to pay for?

It'll be a minor miracle to get the dealer to pay for anything since they didn't sell the car and they did identify the leak. And the leak is not a big deal, it is more annoying knowing you have it, but isn't a big problem. Now, if I bought an Aston and it leaked under warranty, then for sure it'd be a big problem and it's get fixed, but several years out of warranty?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
XJRS -- I can see following the two step procedure if it's being done under warranty. But on the customer's dime I think they should have offered two choices (1) cheaper & might work, or (2) more expensive but will definitely work.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
And don't forget, the root issue. This dealer did a PPI for him, and mis diagnosed this issue from the beginning. That was the opportunity for these costs to be mitigated in purchase negotiations.

Also, I think they mis diagnosed it the second time and are just covering for themselves by saying 2 step process. Otherwise, they would have told him before attempting the first fix; this may or may not work.... I don't think that happened.

Lastly, I leave the evidence that mine was recently in for this same issue. Fixed under warranty. There was no mention by my dealer of any 2 step process, so I don't know that is the protocol anymore. Just simply, here's what has to be done. And mine was the extensive 2nd fix.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I don't see it that way. Didn't AMFixer state that there is a first procedure that is performed and only if this doesn't work a more costly 2nd type is conducted? (see previous page). If this is true, then what recourse is there?

The leak was identified as a TC leak, dealer attempted factory fix the cheaper way, and it wasn't resolved. The only issue I see is that perhaps they should have told the owner that there were 2 ways of fixing it, and which did he want to pay for?

It'll be a minor miracle to get the dealer to pay for anything since they didn't sell the car and they did identify the leak. And the leak is not a big deal, it is more annoying knowing you have it, but isn't a big problem. Now, if I bought an Aston and it leaked under warranty, then for sure it'd be a big problem and it's get fixed, but several years out of warranty?
Normally I would agree with you. But, based on his original post that started this thread, the dealership misled him and is now charging him a large amount of money to fix it.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
And don't forget, the root issue. This dealer did a PPI for him, and mis diagnosed this issue from the beginning. That was the opportunity for these costs to be mitigated in purchase negotiations.

Also, I think they mis diagnosed it the second time and are just covering for themselves by saying 2 step process. Otherwise, they would have told him before attempting the first fix; this may or may not work.... I don't think that happened.

Lastly, I leave the evidence that mine was recently in for this same issue. Fixed under warranty. There was no mention by my dealer of any 2 step process, so I don't know that is the protocol anymore. Just simply, here's what has to be done. And mine was the extensive 2nd fix.

No they didn't misdiagnose it: they said it was a minor leak. And the parts they replaced are related to the TC leak from what I've read. What they should have done is told the buyer: you can spend $1.5K for an attempt to fix, or $4K for a guaranteed fix.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
From the original post:

Ok so I picked up my first Aston Martin less than 2 months ago on(10/31) a 06 V8. I had the PPI done at Palm Beach Motor in West Palm FL. they noted on the report oil seep but nothing to be concern about because this is normal with these cars and its noted as caution no need for service.

"Nothing to be concerned about...normal...no need for service"

The TC leak is not normal, is a concern and does require service. Not my opinion, Astons.
I do however agree that before he bought the car they should have told him what it would take to fix it

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 PM
From the original post:

Ok so I picked up my first Aston Martin less than 2 months ago on(10/31) a 06 V8. I had the PPI done at Palm Beach Motor in West Palm FL. they noted on the report oil seep but nothing to be concern about because this is normal with these cars and its noted as caution no need for service.

"Nothing to be concerned about...normal...no need for service"

The TC leak is not normal, is a concern and does require service. Not my opinion, Astons.
I do however agree that before he bought the car they should have told him what it would take to fix it
Lots of V8s and some V12s have TC leaks; not all fixed during the warranty period since some aren't discovered till later or don't start till later. The leak should be fixed under warranty, but let's not make this kind of seepage into a huge deal. Very few people will spring for $4k to fix this seepage on their own unless it gets really bad, so from the dealer perspective and a buyer's perspective, it doesn't require correction.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valve Seal Leak and Aston Martin dealership