6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   - New V2 Tune for 4.3L Vantage, More Power! - (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/328052-new-v2-tune-4-3l-vantage-more-power.html)

ArtB 03-02-2014 08:03 AM

What was your baseline dyno? How much power did your car put down before any tune was done? Just trying to see where my car sits in relation to others of the same vintage. I made 311rwhp and 264lbft stock with no mods.
Art

007 Vantage 03-02-2014 11:36 AM

Hey art,

Blue line is the baseline dyno, green is with the tune. These dynos are on done on dyno dynamics dyno.

The astons vary a lot stock (as do the types of dynos). My previous 07 dynoed at 290hp on the exact same dyno (granted in much hotter weather.). This motor is definitely a strong one. 311 is right in the middle of the pack as far as baseline numbers go

ArtB 03-02-2014 11:40 AM

So this car is a different Aston than the 07? What is the total power you made from baseline to final tune? There are just a few variances in all of your posts so I am trying to clarify what one can expect on from baseline to fully a tuned stock car.
Art

007 Vantage 03-02-2014 01:46 PM

No, this is my new 07. Identical cars other than colors but this motor just naturally makes more from the factory (all motors vary, no two motors are exactly the same).

There is no variance in any of my posts, just variance between motors. I have have two Vantages, that's probably where your confusion is coming from. Those Dynos you see are exactly what you will get on a bone stock car.

Stuart@VelocityAP 03-02-2014 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4059733)
No, this is my new 07. Identical cars other than colors but this motor just naturally makes more from the factory (all motors vary, no two motors are exactly the same).

There is no variance in any of my posts, just variance between motors. I have have two Vantages, that's probably where your confusion is coming from. Those Dynos you see are exactly what you will get on a bone stock car.

So between two 2007 Vantages, same dyno, different ambient temperature there was 40WHP difference in the stock numbers? That's about 52 or 53BHP at the crank. How big was the temperature difference?

If there is truly that much difference between one engine off the production line and another, that is very worrying. Are you sure there wasn't something with your first '07 that wasn't quite right?

ArtB 03-02-2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4059733)

I am on your side, first off! I was reading back through several different threads that you started so that is where the confusion came from. I wasn't aware that you had a previous AM Vantage so I was very confused by the vast improvement(seemingly) when I found the thread on your old car(291whp before exhaust install). The newer car started with 336 or so rwhp and netted 365 after the tuning. Now I follow you. Again, please don't take any offense with my questions 007! I did a forum search to find all of your posts and threads to see where you started with the Eurocharged tune and where you ended up recently. I was simply clarifying for myself the start and finish point.
I have been working on and modifying cars for well over 20 years. Have built everything from 600+CU. Inch Mountain Methanol engines to dinky turbo rotary engines that make almost 1000 hp on methanol. So I am very educated on engines and tuning, I am a complete newb to "exotics" so this is something that I am learning a piece at a time. Knowing where I am starting and the types of things available to a DIY'r is important for me. I trust no one with my cars and especially am very frugal with the money I spend knowing there are plenty of shysters out there willing to take my money.... "A fool and his money are soon parted" is a philosophy I have lived by and it has served me well. I know what is "realistic" and what is "propaganda", so I am just looking through all of the details as I learn the capabilities of this car and what to expect for my money! I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and posting your findings! Keep it coming, and I will do the same as I move into some more advanced tuning on this awesome car we have!
Thanks,
Art

007 Vantage 03-03-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP (Post 4059738)
So between two 2007 Vantages, same dyno, different ambient temperature there was 40WHP difference in the stock numbers? That's about 52 or 53BHP at the crank. How big was the temperature difference?

If there is truly that much difference between one engine off the production line and another, that is very worrying. Are you sure there wasn't something with your first '07 that wasn't quite right?

I honestly think my first Vantage may have been down on power, possible one of the cylinders wasn't firing the way it should. The new car is very strong and definitely felt better he first time I drove it so it could be very possible my last one may have has some internal issues I never diagnosed. The currect one is fantastic and pulled excellent compression numbers across the board when I did PPI.

007 Vantage 03-03-2014 10:21 AM

Hey art,

No worries, no offense taken, was just clarifying that's all. The stock numbers were 330 on the current car. I also redyno end later in warmer weather with baseline of 324-326 so those are solid baseline numbers. Usually weather adjustments do play a small factor but they did not explain the very low baseline numbers of my old vantage. Something must have been off with the bottom end on my old one as the numbers do look pretty far off from the norm compared to my current car.

mevans 03-03-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4040551)
Correct, Jerry can remove CEL permanently, that's the beauty of a custom tune file that is tailored directly for you car.

Can't wait to hear the results for your tune Vergis, do you have any tuning at all right now? Or is it bone stock software?

Going to take mine back hopefully by end of next week for some more fine tuning for even more performance. It's definitely a screamer now! I cannot even imagine with headers and X-pipe

I think I ran into you when you were waiting at the shop, when I went to pick up my pulley.

007 Vantage 03-03-2014 02:30 PM

Been out of town so most likely probably not. Definitely looking forward to getting even more refinements.

Currently working on finalizing tune and then most likely doing the crank pulley next instead of cats.

sryan14610 04-21-2014 08:28 PM

Hi, I really appreciate the details and info regarding your Eurocharged ECU mod. I am considering doing the same to my 2006 V-8 Vantage. I am new to my Vantage and new to ECU modifications which increase performance. Can you provide an update to your experience since modifying stock Vantage. Also i would appreciate any information regarding the impact such modification on the engine's life and any subcomponents. Thank you.

007 Vantage 04-21-2014 10:30 PM

Sure, the engine tune has completely transformed the top end of the power band. It feels like a completely different car than before. Never once has there been any hesitation or hiccup of any kind. The car has been bulletproof reliable with zero CEL of any kind with the tune.

The engine revs to 7700rpm now in 3rd-6th gears and sounds absolutely in believable above 7200rpm (7500 in 1st-2nd). It's amazing that the additional 400-500 Rpm has made such a drastic difference. 7700 almost feels like 8000, it really elongates the gears to the point where they do not feel so abrupt anymore, you really get to enjoy the power band a lot more.

Without question the Eurocharged tune is by far the best mod for the money and the ideal first modification as it does not affect the hardware negatively in anyway. It is the best tune out there for the Astons v8s and will really add to the enjoyment of your vehicle. It also fixes the overly rich mixture so in theory it should help preserve you catalytic converters and 02 sensors by helping them last much longer (rich air fuels destroy cats and oxygen sensors at an alarming rate, which our Astons are notorious for).

I ran a couple of Lamborghini's over the weekend, modded 04 Gallardo and modified Murcielago and starting in 3rd to the top of 4th they were barely pulling on me so the car is significantly faster on the top end. I was shocked the car kept up so well, as were many of the Lambo owners on the drive. As long as you don't get caught out of the power band (below 4500rpm) it's much faster than on paper specs would indicate given the power delivery on the top end. Below that unfortunately it's still a bit slower in low rpms at higher speeds. I am sure high flow cats would be a good 2nd mod to help unlock more low end torque.

Hope that helps!

sryan14610 04-22-2014 05:25 AM

Thanks for the additional info! It helped a lot. I decided to go for it. I am going to start a new thread for updates of those who have had it done. I scheduled mine for Thursday in Toronto Ontario Eurocharged. i will post my impressions as well.

007 Vantage 04-24-2014 08:41 AM

Look forward to hearing them!

biggynuts01 08-16-2014 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4096967)
Sure, the engine tune has completely transformed the top end of the power band. It feels like a completely different car than before. Never once has there been any hesitation or hiccup of any kind. The car has been bulletproof reliable with zero CEL of any kind with the tune.

The engine revs to 7700rpm now in 3rd-6th gears and sounds absolutely in believable above 7200rpm (7500 in 1st-2nd). It's amazing that the additional 400-500 Rpm has made such a drastic difference. 7700 almost feels like 8000, it really elongates the gears to the point where they do not feel so abrupt anymore, you really get to enjoy the power band a lot more.

Without question the Eurocharged tune is by far the best mod for the money and the ideal first modification as it does not affect the hardware negatively in anyway. It is the best tune out there for the Astons v8s and will really add to the enjoyment of your vehicle. It also fixes the overly rich mixture so in theory it should help preserve you catalytic converters and 02 sensors by helping them last much longer (rich air fuels destroy cats and oxygen sensors at an alarming rate, which our Astons are notorious for).

I ran a couple of Lamborghini's over the weekend, modded 04 Gallardo and modified Murcielago and starting in 3rd to the top of 4th they were barely pulling on me so the car is significantly faster on the top end. I was shocked the car kept up so well, as were many of the Lambo owners on the drive. As long as you don't get caught out of the power band (below 4500rpm) it's much faster than on paper specs would indicate given the power delivery on the top end. Below that unfortunately it's still a bit slower in low rpms at higher speeds. I am sure high flow cats would be a good 2nd mod to help unlock more low end torque.

Hope that helps!

Don't mean to bump a slighty older thread but I just installed the RSC live tune and have the Harrision high flow 200 cell cats (waiting to be installed). I maybe impatient and jumping the gun but my V8V still feels much slower than my previous E92 M3 (decat, tune, and lightened 150lbs).

I know my old M3 will be faster but I just want to try to keep up. Keeping up with a Gallardo would blow my mind. I havent dyno'd the car, or tracked the car yet so I dont have any documented results but it just feels laggy on my butt dyno.

long story short, has anyone compared the RSC tune vs Eurocharged tune side by side. If there was a substantial difference then I will convert to the Eurocharged.