6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   V8V exhaust question (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/330062-v8v-exhaust-question.html)

Yangpei 02-22-2014 08:40 PM

V8V exhaust question

I had a 2011 V8V N420 and loved the car - especially the exhaust note. When the lease ended, I replaced it with a 2013 V8V roadster. I really like the open air driving, but the exhaust note doesn't compare with the N420. Is there a way to retrofit an N420 exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust) on the V8V roadster without voiding warranty or lease? Please excuse my naiveté, but I've never attempted any car modifications before. Thanks in advance for any advice / input.

atlvantage 02-22-2014 10:11 PM

There are all kinds of great exhaust options for you. Aftermarket systems sound great but you may want to first look into the Sport Exhaust available from Aston Martin. I believe the N420 had it and the V8VS wears it now. It isn't very expensive, won't affect your warranty (either will the others) and it sounds terrific, as you know.

mikey k 02-23-2014 02:48 AM

yep
The N420 had the sports exhaust which is an option on current range but standard on the S

drcollie 02-23-2014 08:07 AM

You will never get the tone out of a convertible that you get out of a couple because the whole back of the car in the couple is essentially a boom box sound chamber and that's gone in the roadster. So you can put a louder exhaust on the 'vert and get some good noises on it, but it will never be 'enveloping' like you get in a coupe.

karlfranz 02-23-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k (Post 4054224)
yep
The N420 had the sports exhaust which is an option on current range but standard on the S

Actually, the N420 and V8VS exhausts are different and have different part numbers. The optional Aston Sport Exhaust Kit is the same unit that comes standard on the N420 and includes black chrome exhaust finishers.

Yangpei 02-23-2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by drcollie (Post 4054286)
You will never get the tone out of a convertible that you get out of a couple because the whole back of the car in the couple is essentially a boom box sound chamber and that's gone in the roadster. So you can put a louder exhaust on the 'vert and get some good noises on it, but it will never be 'enveloping' like you get in a coupe.

I guess "enveloping" is a good descriptive word to describe the sound of the N420. It definitely provided a more visceral driving experience.

Yangpei 02-23-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by atlvantage (Post 4054184)
There are all kinds of great exhaust options for you. Aftermarket systems sound great but you may want to first look into the Sport Exhaust available from Aston Martin. I believe the N420 had it and the V8VS wears it now. It isn't very expensive, won't affect your warranty (either will the others) and it sounds terrific, as you know.

Thanks, I'll check with the AM dealer. Not very expensive is a relative term (AM dealer charged me $1200 for the last oil change on the N420) :)

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-23-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yangpei (Post 4054151)
I had a 2011 V8V N420 and loved the car - especially the exhaust note. When the lease ended, I replaced it with a 2013 V8V roadster. I really like the open air driving, but the exhaust note doesn't compare with the N420. Is there a way to retrofit an N420 exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust) on the V8V roadster without voiding warranty or lease? Please excuse my naiveté, but I've never attempted any car modifications before. Thanks in advance for any advice / input.

Hi Yangpei,

I think I have a solution for you. I have a client in California with a Vantage 'S' who wants to purchase the Velocity Power Pack, but wants to pair it with a non-'S' exhaust.

If you're interested in buying an 'S' exhaust with a partial swap for your non-'S' exhaust, please email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and I'm sure we can work something out.

atlvantage 02-23-2014 12:12 PM

Yangpei,
You should absolutely take Stuart up on his offer. That's the perfect solution to your dilemma. It is a bolt on OEM answer that checks all the boxes. Good luck!

Yangpei 02-23-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP (Post 4054378)
Hi Yangpei,

I think I have a solution for you. I have a client in California with a Vantage 'S' who wants to purchase the Velocity Power Pack, but wants to pair it with a non-'S' exhaust.

If you're interested in buying an 'S' exhaust with a partial swap for your non-'S' exhaust, please email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and I'm sure we can work something out.

Thanks Stuart, I emailed you.

AXARUNNER 02-23-2014 08:56 PM

I too will be looking for a buyer of my Vantage S exhaust when Stuart replaces that with a titanium vision of the S. Stuart can also re-map your ECU so the sound comes on sooner.

timwhayden 02-23-2014 09:37 PM

According to at least one poster, the S muffler is louder than the sport exhaust. The dealer wanted $3000 for an S or sport muffler uninstalled. I found an S exhaust used at much less than that, spent 3 hours polishing it to a mirror finish and am having it installed even as we speak. I'll let you know soon how it compares to the stock '13 muffler it replaces.

Yangpei 02-23-2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by timwhayden (Post 4054815)
According to at least one poster, the S muffler is louder than the sport exhaust. The dealer wanted $3000 for an S or sport muffler uninstalled. I found an S exhaust used at much less than that, spent 3 hours polishing it to a mirror finish and am having it installed even as we speak. I'll let you know soon how it compares to the stock '13 muffler it replaces.

Please do, Tim. I would love to hear what you think of the S muffler compared with the stock '13 muffler.

zambono 03-02-2014 06:15 AM

By the way Stuart is great to work with, got most if not all my goodies from him.

Yangpei 03-03-2014 01:51 PM

I am considering upgrading my stock exhaust to a Velocity exhaust. But, having trouble deciding between Sport and Supersport. Are any V8V owners running either the Velocity Sport or Supersport exhaust with stock cats? I would love your feedback. Stuart has been super helpful, but most of his sound clips have performance cats installed in addition to the muffler.

Also, any feedback Tim after trying out the "S" exhaust?