Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V exhaust question

 
  #1  
Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
V8V exhaust question

I had a 2011 V8V N420 and loved the car - especially the exhaust note. When the lease ended, I replaced it with a 2013 V8V roadster. I really like the open air driving, but the exhaust note doesn't compare with the N420. Is there a way to retrofit an N420 exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust) on the V8V roadster without voiding warranty or lease? Please excuse my naiveté, but I've never attempted any car modifications before. Thanks in advance for any advice / input.
 
  #2  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM
atlvantage's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 77
Rep Power: 9
atlvantage is on a distinguished road
There are all kinds of great exhaust options for you. Aftermarket systems sound great but you may want to first look into the Sport Exhaust available from Aston Martin. I believe the N420 had it and the V8VS wears it now. It isn't very expensive, won't affect your warranty (either will the others) and it sounds terrific, as you know.
 
  #3  
Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 AM
mikey k's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Heart of England
Posts: 883
Rep Power: 48
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
yep
The N420 had the sports exhaust which is an option on current range but standard on the S
 
  #4  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 AM
drcollie's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,172
Rep Power: 80
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You will never get the tone out of a convertible that you get out of a couple because the whole back of the car in the couple is essentially a boom box sound chamber and that's gone in the roadster. So you can put a louder exhaust on the 'vert and get some good noises on it, but it will never be 'enveloping' like you get in a coupe.
 
  #5  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
karlfranz's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,375
Rep Power: 208
karlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikey k View Post
yep
The N420 had the sports exhaust which is an option on current range but standard on the S
Actually, the N420 and V8VS exhausts are different and have different part numbers. The optional Aston Sport Exhaust Kit is the same unit that comes standard on the N420 and includes black chrome exhaust finishers.
 
  #6  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
You will never get the tone out of a convertible that you get out of a couple because the whole back of the car in the couple is essentially a boom box sound chamber and that's gone in the roadster. So you can put a louder exhaust on the 'vert and get some good noises on it, but it will never be 'enveloping' like you get in a coupe.
I guess "enveloping" is a good descriptive word to describe the sound of the N420. It definitely provided a more visceral driving experience.
 
  #7  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by atlvantage View Post
There are all kinds of great exhaust options for you. Aftermarket systems sound great but you may want to first look into the Sport Exhaust available from Aston Martin. I believe the N420 had it and the V8VS wears it now. It isn't very expensive, won't affect your warranty (either will the others) and it sounds terrific, as you know.
Thanks, I'll check with the AM dealer. Not very expensive is a relative term (AM dealer charged me $1200 for the last oil change on the N420)
 
  #8  
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Basic Sponsor
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,422
Rep Power: 90
Stuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond reputeStuart@VelocityAP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Yangpei View Post
I had a 2011 V8V N420 and loved the car - especially the exhaust note. When the lease ended, I replaced it with a 2013 V8V roadster. I really like the open air driving, but the exhaust note doesn't compare with the N420. Is there a way to retrofit an N420 exhaust (or aftermarket exhaust) on the V8V roadster without voiding warranty or lease? Please excuse my naiveté, but I've never attempted any car modifications before. Thanks in advance for any advice / input.
Hi Yangpei,

I think I have a solution for you. I have a client in California with a Vantage 'S' who wants to purchase the Velocity Power Pack, but wants to pair it with a non-'S' exhaust.

If you're interested in buying an 'S' exhaust with a partial swap for your non-'S' exhaust, please email me at [email protected] and I'm sure we can work something out.
 
__________________
Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director
Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
2384 Government Street
Penticton, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)236-422-3341
Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com

  #9  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM
atlvantage's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 77
Rep Power: 9
atlvantage is on a distinguished road
Yangpei,
You should absolutely take Stuart up on his offer. That's the perfect solution to your dilemma. It is a bolt on OEM answer that checks all the boxes. Good luck!
 
  #10  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Yangpei,

I think I have a solution for you. I have a client in California with a Vantage 'S' who wants to purchase the Velocity Power Pack, but wants to pair it with a non-'S' exhaust.

If you're interested in buying an 'S' exhaust with a partial swap for your non-'S' exhaust, please email me at [email protected] and I'm sure we can work something out.
Thanks Stuart, I emailed you.
 
  #11  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM
AXARUNNER's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 742
Rep Power: 47
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I too will be looking for a buyer of my Vantage S exhaust when Stuart replaces that with a titanium vision of the S. Stuart can also re-map your ECU so the sound comes on sooner.
 
  #12  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 PM
timwhayden's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: jackson,TN
Posts: 185
Rep Power: 14
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
According to at least one poster, the S muffler is louder than the sport exhaust. The dealer wanted $3000 for an S or sport muffler uninstalled. I found an S exhaust used at much less than that, spent 3 hours polishing it to a mirror finish and am having it installed even as we speak. I'll let you know soon how it compares to the stock '13 muffler it replaces.
 
  #13  
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timwhayden View Post
According to at least one poster, the S muffler is louder than the sport exhaust. The dealer wanted $3000 for an S or sport muffler uninstalled. I found an S exhaust used at much less than that, spent 3 hours polishing it to a mirror finish and am having it installed even as we speak. I'll let you know soon how it compares to the stock '13 muffler it replaces.
Please do, Tim. I would love to hear what you think of the S muffler compared with the stock '13 muffler.
 
  #14  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland, U.S.
Posts: 408
Rep Power: 28
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
By the way Stuart is great to work with, got most if not all my goodies from him.
 
  #15  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Yangpei's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 9
Yangpei is on a distinguished road
I am considering upgrading my stock exhaust to a Velocity exhaust. But, having trouble deciding between Sport and Supersport. Are any V8V owners running either the Velocity Sport or Supersport exhaust with stock cats? I would love your feedback. Stuart has been super helpful, but most of his sound clips have performance cats installed in addition to the muffler.

Also, any feedback Tim after trying out the "S" exhaust?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8V exhaust question


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.