Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
View Poll Results: Is the Manual Transmission a deal-breaker for buying a V12VS?
Yes it is. I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would only buy with a manual
75.00%
No, I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would prefer manual but would buy a paddle shift car
21.88%
No, I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would prefer a paddle shift gearbox
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

V12 Vantage S (V12VS) Manual Transmission For North America

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rohnin
Remember when they offered a MT retrofit to the last Vanquish, how did that work out?
Two cars with similarly-priced equipment (the paddles and the stick) are very different than a $35,000 retrofit!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Just got back from a track day with my V12V. Had a great time and enjoyed the car immensely. Interesting that this thread came up now. I have been after AM to build a V12 Roadster for the US for two years. I have already passed on a V12VS Coupe because of the SS trans. Today confirmed my decision and while I want a V 12 R to go with the coupe I will not consider one without a manual. I simply refuse to spend that kind of money for a car with a flawed trans and that is final. I have purchased six new Astons's since 2006 and currently have the V12 and an 11 Roadster. We buy these cars for pleasure as there are lots of cheaper alternatives. I value the driving experience on any car as the main motivation for buying the car. The SS ruins the driving experience for me and I will not buy another no matter how improved they make it.
To be clear I think many would consider a modern auto but Aston doesn't have one and the old six speed won't fit. If they offered a dual clutch I might be interested but we know that won't happen. I had a 458 Spider and that trans is amazing but, for me, I enjoy the manual more. Of course the 458 is a higher performance car than the V12 V will ever be but that confirms the point that we don't always buy a car just for the numbers. I have driven pretty much everything out there and a good six speed manual is very hard to beat in a sports car. To not offer one in their flagship high performance car is just sad.
With that said let me be the first to put my money where my mouth is. If Aston will offer a V12VS Roadster with a manual for the US market I will send a deposit check immediately. For that matter I will turn in my V8 roadster as a deposit. The ball is in your court Aston. Will you build something that we truly want, sell more cars and silence all the negative reviews in the rags or will we have to look elsewhere for our next car?
Stuart, let them know I'm ready to spec my car tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by V12V
With that said let me be the first to put my money where my mouth is. If Aston will offer a V12VS Roadster with a manual for the US market I will send a deposit check immediately. For that matter I will turn in my V8 roadster as a deposit. The ball is in your court Aston. Will you build something that we truly want, sell more cars and silence all the negative reviews in the rags or will we have to look elsewhere for our next car?
Stuart, let them know I'm ready to spec my car tomorrow.
Of course, you're sort of mucking things up by including "roadster" in your demand. I've not yet heard of a roadster available as a V12Vs. Of course, they have the bits for a roadster ready to go...

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Jeremyosj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by telum01
I'm not in the market for a V12S, but I'll toss in my two pence...

Everyone that asks me about my car, whether friend or complete stranger, asks whether it is manual or automatic/paddles. When I say it's a manual, they all smile and say "nice" or something along those lines. When I was in the market for a V8V, I didn't even consider paddles.

With the new cars, there's no real reason the manual can be fitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the ASM is a manual transmission with electromechanical components added to it to make it shifted via paddles instead of linkage. Meaning, it's a bigger, heavier transmission than the manual. So fitting a manual should be easier because it's smaller and lighter (it doesn't have the added components).

If AM is fitting them for better performance, that's fine. But it shouldn't preclude the option to have a true manual gearbox, either.

I was tossing around the idea of getting something a bit quicker and test drove a Ferrari F430 with the F1 transmission. It was okay, but not nearly enough to get me out of my V8V. The next day I drove a McLaren 12C. The dual clutch in that blew away the F1 transmission. After that, I'm not even interested in an automated manual. I wouldn't mind paddles so long as they're hooked up to a dual-clutch.

So I guess that's where I stand as a consumer. Either a true manual or a dual-clutch. I'm not interested in anything in-between - it'd be a compromise between two perfectly good technologies.

I tried the Lamborghini Aventador which comes with a AMT and that shifts pretty sweet. Not jerky around town and high rpm shifts are super quick!! Still love my manual V8V though

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Of course, you're sort of mucking things up by including "roadster" in your demand. I've not yet heard of a roadster available as a V12Vs. Of course, they have the bits for a roadster ready to go...
I was told by a dealer that a MY16 V12VSR is coming. It would be a thing of beauty if it had 3 pedals.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 AM
No muck up. Just wait a bit. Jaymoney is correct. As to the coupe if they relent and offer a manual I'm sure it will be offered in the coupe as well.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Viperlaw is on a distinguished road
If you havent driven the V12s, then I think people really should before passing judgment. I have driven it on road and track and it truly is a very good gearbox. Unlike my 09 SS, the v12vs gearbox is an asset to the driving experience rather than something that you need to learn how to drive around. If I could chose over again for my 09, I would have gone with a manual, but these things have progressed so much in such a short time span that I would take the paddles on the V12vs whether or not it was an option.

That being said, Im surprised to see the F-type come up in comparisons. I drove one right after jumping out of my 09 and if that is considered the benchmark for automatic transmissions, then count me out. Terribly sluggish downshifts. Despite its weaknesses, Ill take my SS transmission any day.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't disagree that the SSIII is improved but, compared to a dual clutch it is an antique. I also don't see paying more money for more complexity and faster clutch wear when a manual is available. I think the overall point here is there are buyers for an S with a manual as well as the SS but those of us that want a manual will not consider the car with the SS. It's just a business decision for Aston whether they want to make it available.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM
I agree 100% that the dual clutches are quicker and better overall. However, given the character of the v12vs, I think the sIII suits it just fine. Plus, arent dual clutches significantly heavier too?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I haven't driven the V12VS, but nearly every review out there (and I've read/watched many) say the car is great except for the gearbox. After having a scud, I refuse to drive a car that does not immediately change gear when I ask it to.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
I'm a die hard manual guy - I refuse to drive anything that isn't a manual. I own 4 cars and they all have 3 pedals so I would certainly agree with the poll to ask for all Astons to be available in manual form. That said, I think it is getting increasingly difficult to get manuals. While there is a small fringe of people like us who buy manuals, it is small and shrinking. The vast majority of buyers of these cars (especially new vs. used) now prefer automatics (of whatever flavor - they're all automatics to me if they only have 2 pedals).

It saddens me that you can't buy any Ferrari with a manual, that the 991 GT3 is PDK only, etc... The manuals are dying out and a small poll in a dark corner of the internet is sadly not going to change that.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM
The most accurate review of this car, in my opinion, is on The Smoking Tire.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 PM
The ST review calls the SS the price of progress and would prefer a manual. The trans is at its best on an empty piece of California tarmac and not regular driving or in auto. That's pretty much what everyone else says. IE: In certain conditions the trans is ok. I'll buy that explanation but I won't buy the car because of it.
I'm not against all paddle shift transmissions just bad ones.
I'll say one additional thing about the SSIII. Aston originally specked the car as 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Not one review could duplicate this time. They all managed around a 4.0 0-60 because of the sluggish trans. That's the way every SS Aston I have driven reacts. Takeoff in first is not crisp. I don't care about the 0-60 spec but I do want the car to move when I hit the pedal.
As I said before I would consider a dual clutch if they had one but they don't. That leaves manual or nothing for me.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:43 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
The discussion of MT is pretty much a moot point. Pure enthusiasts like myself love manuals but the fact is they don't make enough sales in the market. Look at the way of Porsche and Ferrari - no more manuals period.

Even certain paddle shifters are considered more "raw" compared to others. The Superfast F1 tranny in my 16M is probably the best SCT, but it's the last of its breed. DCT's are considers by some to be too "smooth."
My CGT is a very "raw" manual and my S260 is a more "smooth" manual. I enjoy them all but sometimes paddle shifting is just easier. My previous V8V and DBS were manual and now I'm considering a V12VS in paddle shifter IF the tranny is good.
All a matter of preference I suppose.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't disagree the DCT can be uninvolving as well. The one in my 458 was perfect, too perfect. It was only real fun on a track. Around town it might as well be an auto.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 Vantage S (V12VS) Manual Transmission For North America