Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Selling suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Jay, your AutoTrader link does not work.
The proper link is: V8 Vantage

Don't know why the forum post messed it up. I fixed it in the original post too.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
For those that prefer to go through a dealer, how do you feel about an Aston dealer vs an independent dealer that handles exotic cars?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
der Fahrer is on a distinguished road
I'm a buyer, but I much prefer the Aston dealer. "Exotic" used car dealers send me a strange vibe....at least the ones around me.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Looked at your ad

Last night I looked at your ad and others in the 2009 and 2010 year and price range. I was surprised that your 2009 is very similar to mine, I have an 09 with Meteorite exterior but with tan interior, otherwise almost identical spec and just a few thousand less miles. I have 1 1/4 years left on the factory warranty. I bought the car last August from Newport Beach with the extended Factory Warranty and shipping to Minnesota for $72,000 with 32,000 miles. The flaws? A small 1/2 dime size dent above the door I got fixed for $50.00 and a few chips in the paint I somewhat hid for the cost of a touch up bottle and an hour of my time. I also have a drivers seatbelt that was frayed, which is covered under warranty, so that will be taken care of when I have Lake Forest do it's annual. I also had the 20 spoke wheel which I think are the least attractive of all of the Vantage options. Like yours, mine is NOT an S model. So you see, very similar. I bought the car with high mileage for a low price knowing that I could not sell it for a high price, but instead add more miles with the least loss. When I bought the Vantage I had an SLK 55 I had bought less than a year earlier for $26K and put another $3K in making the interior nice. The investment in the interior was enjoyed only two months before I decided to upgrade to the Vantage so that was a loss, however, it did leverage a sale in less than a week advertising the car for the $26K I bought it for.

Buying from a dealer who must often be bonded provides some consumer protection that buying from an owner does not. My choice is always to buy from a dealer for two reasons - that protection (I've had to go after a dealers bond in the past successfully, and without lawyers) and they can arrange financing often. In fact my bank Wells Fargo would only go down to a 7% loan - Newport Beach got me half that interest!

The more I drive the Vantage I know the less value it has, but the hit is far less than initial depreciation of buying new. Yesterday Aston announced the DB9 replacement will be 2016 with the Vantage following a few years after, so we have time before obsolescence factors in. The 09 is significantly better than the previous years, warranting your price, however, yours is by far the highest mileage and others with much lower miles have similar ball-park pricing, and some appear to be S models or at least have the better wheels. If I was in your position I'd advertise at about $65,000 if you want to sell fairly fast. If I sold today, even with my Modulare 20" wheels and remaining warranty with 35,000 miles now, I'd be selling not much more. That's my take.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior1.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	368973  
Old 05-01-2014, 07:20 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by telum01
As mentioned above, high-res images are very important. To me, it's a first-tier test. If a seller can't take and upload proper images, how can I expect them to properly care for a high-end car?

Good luck with your sale!
should also ask how good of an omelette he can make, thats equally relevant to his ability to care for a high end car

just because someone is lacking in photography or computer skills doesnt mean they are negligent in taking proper care of a car, seller could be 75 and not know how to turn on a computer but changes the oil every 2000 miles and visits the dealer every 6 months.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Not to start anything (I am not mogadishu in disguise) however, my experience, though tinged by age, I still judge by presentation of add. When I see a less than professional ad, the first thing I think is that I can haggle really hard and usually do in a tactful way because it is nearly always someone selling their own car. I have sold several cars privately and through collector car auctions and selling privately is not for the timid. Acquisition can bring out the worst in some people and I can still remember vividly a few exchanges with would be buyers. (I even refused to sell to one individual because of his demeanor, not the smartest thing as he was cash buyer and came up to meet my price). This was not good, but emotions don't partner well with sound business decisions. Btw, the buyers are usually emotional acting otherwise.

Last edited by oo7; 05-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Last night I looked at your ad and others in the 2009 and 2010 year and price range. I was surprised that your 2009 is very similar to mine, I have an 09 with Meteorite exterior but with tan interior, otherwise almost identical spec and just a few thousand less miles. I have 1 1/4 years left on the factory warranty. I bought the car last August from Newport Beach with the extended Factory Warranty and shipping to Minnesota for $72,000 with 32,000 miles. The flaws? A small 1/2 dime size dent above the door I got fixed for $50.00 and a few chips in the paint I somewhat hid for the cost of a touch up bottle and an hour of my time. I also have a drivers seatbelt that was frayed, which is covered under warranty, so that will be taken care of when I have Lake Forest do it's annual. I also had the 20 spoke wheel which I think are the least attractive of all of the Vantage options. Like yours, mine is NOT an S model. So you see, very similar. I bought the car with high mileage for a low price knowing that I could not sell it for a high price, but instead add more miles with the least loss. When I bought the Vantage I had an SLK 55 I had bought less than a year earlier for $26K and put another $3K in making the interior nice. The investment in the interior was enjoyed only two months before I decided to upgrade to the Vantage so that was a loss, however, it did leverage a sale in less than a week advertising the car for the $26K I bought it for.

Buying from a dealer who must often be bonded provides some consumer protection that buying from an owner does not. My choice is always to buy from a dealer for two reasons - that protection (I've had to go after a dealers bond in the past successfully, and without lawyers) and they can arrange financing often. In fact my bank Wells Fargo would only go down to a 7% loan - Newport Beach got me half that interest!

The more I drive the Vantage I know the less value it has, but the hit is far less than initial depreciation of buying new. Yesterday Aston announced the DB9 replacement will be 2016 with the Vantage following a few years after, so we have time before obsolescence factors in. The 09 is significantly better than the previous years, warranting your price, however, yours is by far the highest mileage and others with much lower miles have similar ball-park pricing, and some appear to be S models or at least have the better wheels. If I was in your position I'd advertise at about $65,000 if you want to sell fairly fast. If I sold today, even with my Modulare 20" wheels and remaining warranty with 35,000 miles now, I'd be selling not much more. That's my take.
Funny. A year ago I was driving an SLK too

I agree the car is on the high end of the price spectrum, specially for the amount of miles. I bought an 09 with 25k miles late February for 71k (and the dealer gave me a $3k check for clutch repair). Mine has the sports package.

I wouldnt list a vehicle like yours over mid to high 60s.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Its funny you guys mention the price. I went by the other ads out there and most of the dealer ads were above 80k for 2009 and newer. There's a few dealers now that nudged some cars just under 80k, but mine is still 3rd lowest.

The good news (for me) is that I love the car, and I'm not forced to sell it, so I don't need to try to sell it quick by making the price really low. Of course the objective is to sell it, so I was just trying to price it in a reasonable range.

As far as the pictures go, I think most of the dealer pictures are pretty bad, so I don't see how mine are that much worse.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
I have been looking for and researching these cars for far too long (virtually to the point that I no longer want one). There's no question (in my opinion, at least) that most listings are far overpriced.

Keep in mind that this is subjective, and I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers, but as of 5/1/2014, this is what I have estimated to be the upper bound in market price for non-S V8 Vantage models, by year. I'm specifically referring to relatively low miles, great condition, good service history.

2006: $56000
2007: $63000
2008: $68000
2009: $74000
2010: $79000
2011: $85000
2012: $94000

I've seen cars priced well above these markers, but I also see them languish for months on cars.com, AutoTrader, eBay, etc. To the OP, I think your car is priced about right to get some interest. If it had a 6MT, I guarantee that we would've had a few chats by now. All the best.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Thanks for all the suggestions and I agree with most of them. The 6speed selling posts only allow 5 images so that's the most I could put there. There's many more on the other sites, such as what i put on Autotrader: V8Vantage

The whole dealer vs private issue is a tough one. Over the years I've come to trust dealers less and less. They are better at covering up issues with the car and you really don't know how the car has been used and by whom. If you buy privately and get a car where you can spend the money to extend the full coverage factory warranty by two years, that's the best insurance you can get and you probably still have money left over. Obviously, things like financing and trade-ins are the other side of the coin.

Sometimes too its simply who's looking for what car when.
When it boils down to it, a used car dealer is a used car dealer. Leopard can't change his spots. I bought from an AM dealer and am still waiting for some of the items promised. Buyers don't realize it but if there were brokers available that worked for them, it would save a whole lotta heartache.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Its funny you guys mention the price. I went by the other ads out there and most of the dealer ads were above 80k for 2009 and newer. There's a few dealers now that nudged some cars just under 80k, but mine is still 3rd lowest.

The good news (for me) is that I love the car, and I'm not forced to sell it, so I don't need to try to sell it quick by making the price really low. Of course the objective is to sell it, so I was just trying to price it in a reasonable range.

As far as the pictures go, I think most of the dealer pictures are pretty bad, so I don't see how mine are that much worse.
The dealer lets you see what he wants you to see, the pics will not show you a flaw that will turn you off. Many private sellers will be honest about the car, and yes, some will not.

Looked at an '09 with an asking price of 105 and it sold for 90. Looked at another 09 started at 102 and that one sold for 89.9. When they say they've got more money into it than they can get at auction, they're full of it. Don't expect to beat a professional golfer unless he wants you to.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by der Fahrer
I have been looking for and researching these cars for far too long (virtually to the point that I no longer want one). There's no question (in my opinion, at least) that most listings are far overpriced.

Keep in mind that this is subjective, and I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers, but as of 5/1/2014, this is what I have estimated to be the upper bound in market price for non-S V8 Vantage models, by year. I'm specifically referring to relatively low miles, great condition, good service history.

I've seen cars priced well above these markers, but I also see them languish for months on cars.com, AutoTrader, eBay, etc. To the OP, I think your car is priced about right to get some interest. If it had a 6MT, I guarantee that we would've had a few chats by now. All the best.
I think I would agree with your price breakdown except I think there's a little bigger gap between the 08's and 09's (maybe 08 should be lower). The 09 has the engine and interior upgrades and there are a lot more 08 and earlier cars out there.

One dynamic I should point out that seems to happen is that when a large percentage of people will only buy through a dealer, and the dealers know this, the value the dealers will give you on trade-ins goes down because they know you don't have many other choices. So when people complain about what the dealers offer, that's a big factor.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
I sold mine private off of this forum. Helps to have a good clean car. no leads via autotrader or ebay. Also helps to be fair and realistic in pricing...

Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by der Fahrer

What do you consider "relatively low miles"? I'm not looking to buy or sell, but I watch the Vantage market pretty closely, and those numbers seem low to me for cars in really great condition. I'm confident that pristine low-mile (perhaps that's the difference -- "low" vs. "relatively low") '09s bring considerably more than $74K.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
What do you consider "relatively low miles"? I'm not looking to buy or sell, but I watch the Vantage market pretty closely, and those numbers seem low to me for cars in really great condition. I'm confident that pristine low-mile (perhaps that's the difference -- "low" vs. "relatively low") '09s bring considerably more than $74K.
There's certainly going to be cars that sell for more than my estimated (and admittedly subjective) price schedule, but discounts on new models and the Vantage GT on the horizon almost certainly have an impact on market prices of used cars.

Here's a graphic I threw together to illustrate, where 2015 is year 0. The blue line is my estimated price list shown above, along with the 2015 GT at $107,000. The orange line is relatively consistent with what I see cars listed for on the market. I'm not entirely sure this makes a clear point, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't see how you can have a "new car" entry point at $107,000 while maintaining used car prices on the orange curve.

Take this whole thing with a grain of salt. I pretty much grabbed these numbers out of the air. Sorry for the threadjack.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7xrly9e.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	370521  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Selling suggestions