Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V Car Wrap . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
I already have chipped front bumper vinyl. Its not very effective in preventing stone chips. Im considering getting a layer of transparent vinyl on top of the bumper areas.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
Looks great... Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail. I've also been tossing around this idea, however i always thought the "gloss" wraps had to much orange peel texture to them. Do you happen to have a closer up pic?
Yep . . . a few others have PM'd me for close-up pictures. I'll try to shoot some this weekend when the weather is better and post them. As for the orange peel effect, I haven't noticed it thus far--the wrap is super smooth. As Karl Franz noted, prepping the car before the wrap is key--the car needs to be super, super clean; otherwise, the vinyl shows an irregularities in the paint underneath. Exotic Vehicle Wraps did a full clay bar detailing of the car to get the paint surface as smooth and clean as possible. It probably also helped the car's paint was in strong shape to begin with.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 PM
A few folks asked for close-up pictures on the vinyl and I've created an album with a few photos here:

In terms of the vinyl, everything is holding up well. The 3m Gloss Red Metallic is interesting in that it really changes appearance depending on the light. In bright, direct sunlight the red is fairly metallic and bright--reminds me of Aston's Magma Red. In more diffused light (cloudy day), the red turns deeper and darker.

The best part so far is detailing. First, it goes for DAYS looking fresh after a wash which I could never say with the Carbon Black paint. In fact, I've only washed the car twice since the wrap and it looks great all the time. And second, washing is a breeze--basic soap/water and wipe down with a microfiber cloth and done. For me, the black paint always needed some detailing beyond washing to look decent so I'm loving the vinyl's easy care.

I'll supply another update in a few months to see how it holds up long term.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80-amv12_front_0633f01c7a7c14e083635a143408a61b23373235.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	381413  
Old 06-01-2014, 05:42 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Looks good!

Dang it. Now you got me thinking of wrapping mine. Does yours cover all the way into the door jam?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by V8Vin
Looks good!

Dang it. Now you got me thinking of wrapping mine. Does yours cover all the way into the door jam?
Yep, they did the door jams and trimmed out all the stickers/info in the doors. Basically, you need to dig quite a bit into the car to find spots that still show the original black paint (engine bay, under trunk lid, underneath fuel lid, etc.).

Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
hey eric sorry to necro an old thread, but its been 3 years, how is the wrap holding up? Considering doing this to my car this winter... the black paint on this thing is infuriating!

Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Well, sadly, I had to sell the car before moving overseas last year (couldn't take the car with me). However, the wrap looked great until the end. I would totally do it again. Even better, the underlying paint looked pristine when the wrap came off.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ohTHATeric
Well, sadly, I had to sell the car before moving overseas last year (couldn't take the car with me). However, the wrap looked great until the end. I would totally do it again. Even better, the underlying paint looked pristine when the wrap came off.
did you take the wrap off yourself? or pay the same folks to take it off?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
did you take the wrap off yourself? or pay the same folks to take it off?
Definitely had someone remove it (local detailer). I don't have the skills or know how and didn't want to figure out how to do this with a six figure car!

Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ohTHATeric
Definitely had someone remove it (local detailer). I don't have the skills or know how and didn't want to figure out how to do this with a six figure car!
just curious but how much did your detailer charge you? and how come not the ppl that wrapped it in the first place?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 PM
estuardo is on a distinguished road
That looks great! I'm debating what color to do my Vantage

Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
just curious but how much did your detailer charge you? and how come not the ppl that wrapped it in the first place?
Not a ton . . . a few hundred bucks if I remember correctly. The wrap was comprehensive (door jams, etc.) so it took some labor to get to everything. Didn't take it to the original folks who wrapped it because of time, distance and the fact that removing the wrap doesn't take quite the same level of skill of putting it on.