997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installing new steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Installing new steering wheel

So this steering wheel is on it's way to me, oem re wrapped, will attempt the installation myself.

From what I gather, its just setting wheels straight, D/C the battery, pop the airbag out from sticking a screwdriver in the hole under the wheel, disconnect air bag plug, untorque the bolt with a T55 torx, slide wheel off. Then reverse same steps adding locktite to the thread bolt and torqing to 37 lb/ft.

If I missed anything let me know please.

What about the steering wheel buttons? Im swapping my multi function buttons on my current steering over, I assume these just pry off?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
About Locktite don't use too much ( i skip it last time), scare heck out of me taking the bolt off...it was really tight.

The button, remove the torx screw, gently pry off with a plastic prier.

Have someone hold the wheel while it's being torque. I didn't do this the last time, wheel cocked throw of the steering angle sensor which shutdown Sport and PASM mode.

Good luck, just take your time.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tphan
About Locktite don't use too much ( i skip it last time), scare heck out of me taking the bolt off...it was really tight.

The button, remove the torx screw, gently pry off with a plastic prier.

Have someone hold the wheel while it's being torque. I didn't do this the last time, wheel cocked throw of the steering angle sensor which shutdown Sport and PASM mode.

Good luck, just take your time.
Hold wheel when torqing, got it. cheers

Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 AM
QWKSLVRNSX is on a distinguished road
It's about a 10-15 minute job for a newbie the first time…after that, it's a 5 minute job!

1. You can just disconnect the negative terminal. Leave the car for 20 minutes to let the power drain from the airbag module. DO NOT shut the hood, since the release/ latch is electric.

2. I used a 4mm allen wrench w. a T bar handle to push up into the airbag release hole located underneath the steering wheel housing. I suppose a screw driver would work. You will hear & see the cover release, but sometimes, some of the tabs/ corners are still engaged and you will not be able to release the cover completely. If this happens, DO NOT force the cover off. Simply press the cover back on, you will hear it click/ lock back into place. The cover is spring loaded and the best way to get to release is to create counter tension by pressing your palm against the cover while simultaneously pushing up the release hole with the allen wrench or screw driver.

3. Unclip the yellow airbag plug from the steering column, set the module aside.

4. Simply break/ unscrew the lock nut (lefty-loosy) using the T55 12-point spline torx. It helps to have an assistant if you are doing this for the first time to help keep the wheel from moving, especially if you have to use some force to break loose the lock nut.

5. reverse the procedure, torque the lock nut back to 39 foot-pounds.

* You will get a PCM error once you reconnect the battery and start the car, it will turn off once you drive.

Last edited by QWKSLVRNSX; 08-23-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 AM
I have the sport steering wheel which is slightly different from yours. The 3 & 9 o'clock buttons on mine are secured w. torx screws. You will be able to see once you remove the airbag whether you can just pry the buttons off or if they are secured w. screws. Use a nylon pry tool or tape your flathead screwdriver.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:57 AM
Cheers.

Did it, took about 20 min as the airbag was a **** fight to get off. Only one corner popped off, took ages to get it off.

Couldn't unplug the air bag as it was connected to the multifunction buttons, so had to take the steering off with the air bag attached.

The new steering wheel doesn't have multifunction, but will it still have the holes to stick my multifunction control unit on? Do all steering wheel cores have the same holes in them? I'd say they would. I didn't check this as didnt know how the MF module is attached.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 AM
Answering my own question, yes.

Non MF steering wheel with same holes.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM
If anyones interested selling the old one for $150, AUD.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151789879...84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Good job mate! Let's see finished pic!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by QWKSLVRNSX
Good job mate! Let's see finished pic!
Will do. How does the airbag clip back in? Do u have to put the bottom in first?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
As far as the wiring harness, it can only fit one way, the male & female have asymmetrical cut-outs.

If referring to the airbag module, just push straight back in, it does not have to be bottom or top first. You will hear a click.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:16 AM
Success, looks and smells nice and new.

Same shape, but the leather is refreshing, even though its black as it's brand new has a grey matte tone which is a lot nicer than the shiny jet black steering wheel it replaced.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Look very nice, good job.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Cheers, I've now sent my handbrake handle and centre consol storage lid to be redone. Will post pics when finished.

Sent them to the classic 9 leather shop in Michigan.