Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ten cars about to "explode in value"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The real cars that are going to explode are classic Lambos, those are starting to take off like a rocket. They will continue to skyrocket

Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
The miles don't really affect the value that much as long as they are low for the age of the car once it has achieved collectible status. IE my Ford GT has around 4,000 miles on it which works out to 500 per year. A 100 mile car will sell for somewhat more at auction but the price differential on the ultra low mile cars is not that great from those that have a few miles on them if the cars are in as new condition.
No one cares if a 65 427 Cobra has 30,000 miles on it if they are looking for one. They just want the car.
None of this applies to the V12 as it is not in the collectible class yet. However, I don't see a low mile car in excellent condition dropping much lower than $115-120. There are only around 200 in the US. We will get an idea in about 18 months when they are all out of warranty.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Personally, I don't consider putting 500 miles a year on a car really enjoying it. I did over 4k miles a year in my V12V, which would mean I'd be over 20,000 miles in 5 years. A collector would no doubt prefer lower miles. To me, having a collector car would ruin it because I'd be afraid to drive it and decrease its value.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Personally, I don't consider putting 500 miles a year on a car really enjoying it. I did over 4k miles a year in my V12V, which would mean I'd be over 20,000 miles in 5 years. A collector would no doubt prefer lower miles. To me, having a collector car would ruin it because I'd be afraid to drive it and decrease its value.
Agreed. I'm not interested in being a museum curator. I buy cars to drive them. If they go up in value I'm happy but I'm really hoping they hold even so my loss is minimal for the time I own and enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Speaking of miles, where are you now Ross with the scud? I just crossed 9,000 so I'm closing in on the dreaded 10,000. I have no intention of reducing my usage of the car though. In fact, I'm headed to Road Atlanta tomorrow for some hot laps.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RossL
Agreed. I'm not interested in being a museum curator. I buy cars to drive them. If they go up in value I'm happy but I'm really hoping they hold even so my loss is minimal for the time I own and enjoy it.
I have had the good fortune to own a few cars that have gone up in value and it is a great thing to be able to drive something for several years and then sell it for more than you paid for it. That said, I certainly would not buy a car for that reason (it is a crazy, fickle game and I think I've been more lucky than shrewd) and I don't really drive a car with that in mind. I'd rather enjoy it and if it appreciates in value that's lovely.

I do think the V12V will be *the* collectible of this era's Aston Martins (full disclosure: I do drive a V12V). As the Jalopnik article indicated it is a front-mounted V12 manual. Moreover (please correct me if I'm wrong), it is the *last* V12 manual sports car made by any manufacturer. Given current energy and environmental issues, I don't see a lot of V12s in the future and given technology trends, I don't see a lot of manuals in the future. Add on to that a fairly limited supply (especially in the U.S. where the car was only imported for 2011 - 2012) plus a universally agreed upon gorgeous design and you have a good formula for something people will covet in the future.

That said, the question becomes how long into the future are we talking about? I think it will be quite some time . . . probably 15 - 20 years. If one looks at the recent Bonham's Aston Martin auction (link here) it is interesting to see that the more special, limited-production cars from the 1980s have gone up significantly but the more run-of-the-mill production cars have trailed behind. I think the same will be true of this era . . .

Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I don't buy anything to store it either. I have tracked all my cars and drive them whenever I wish. It's simply a matter of having more than one car to drive. My V12 has 2,700 miles on it and has been to three track events. As to the collectibility factor I don't really care as I like the V12 enough that it is a keeper. We will see where the value is down the road and revisit the discussion.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:03 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Very interesting and exciting article for V12V owners. Luckily the last few cars I've owned: BMW M Coupe, Lotus Exige S240 and my V8VS, I've sold for more than I've paid and/or got out at the right time (V8VS).

I'm going to break 6,000 miles today on my V12V, and really need to start drive it even more to enjoy it. I seem to forget the amount of money, hard work and effort it took me to obtain the car, only for it to sit under the car cover in the garage.

If I could ever get original MSRP for my car, then I'd consider selling it. But until then, happy and safe motoring.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Speaking of miles, where are you now Ross with the scud? I just crossed 9,000 so I'm closing in on the dreaded 10,000. I have no intention of reducing my usage of the car though. In fact, I'm headed to Road Atlanta tomorrow for some hot laps.
I'm jealous about you going to Road Atlanta. My car is currently at 9100 miles roughly and it's tentatively sold. I really don't want to sell it but I don't have garage space for the GT3 and the Scud market is strong right now.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Sorry to hear you're selling the scud, Ross, but I understand needing to make room for a new car. When do you expect the GT3?

Road Atlanta was today. Had a fantastic day in he scud. What a machine!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
While it's not the "last" (and who really gives a rip) manual V12, I suspect that a manual DBS will be more valued in 15 years than a V12V. Less of them, Bond cachet, just beautiful.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
While it's not the "last" (and who really gives a rip) manual V12, I suspect that a manual DBS will be more valued in 15 years than a V12V. Less of them, Bond cachet, just beautiful.
Are there less DBS than V12V? I have no idea what the build numbers are but I see used DBS all the time on eBay and see far fewer V12V. I do agree with the Bond reference.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RossL
Are there less DBS than V12V? I have no idea what the build numbers are but I see used DBS all the time on eBay and see far fewer V12V. I do agree with the Bond reference.
Good point. I'm probably totally wrong about the "less" part. I was thinking of the fact that there are less manual DBSs than auto DBSs. Total number of manual DBSs compared to V12Vs, who knows? Anyone?

Much as I love the V12V, I don't think it will have the long term, collectible stand out value that a manual DBS will. Not that the DBS is a better car, it just has more presence and pop and in this reviewer's opinion, will be the long term play.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
As someone who owns a V12V and a '72 Pantera, this was a pretty interesting article. It seems like V12V values are bottoming out. So if they don't continue to depreciate, that would be great given the history of modern performance vehicles.

The problem with the Pantera is that no one has yet established exactly how many were built. That will also depress values somewhat.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by scottblack
As someone who owns a V12V and a '72 Pantera, this was a pretty interesting article. It seems like V12V values are bottoming out. So if they don't continue to depreciate, that would be great given the history of modern performance vehicles.

The problem with the Pantera is that no one has yet established exactly how many were built. That will also depress values somewhat.
So need a Pantera! And me gusta the Mangusta!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ten cars about to "explode in value"