Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

vantage - replace door sill plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Karl I think I found the film, it's 3m?

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Produc...e=3M1080-BR201

Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I buy all my vinyl from MetroRestyling.com

I never did a separate write-up on the sills. I did them at the same time I wrapped the entire car. I made the logo plaque with a vinyl cutter (kind of like a pen plotter) that I bought for my wife last X-mas. I stacked two layers of vinyl (black over gray) and adjusted the cut depth so only the black layer was cut.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zvez
Karl I think I found the film, it's 3m?

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Produc...e=3M1080-BR201
Yes, that's the one. If you buy some, make sure to pay attention to which way the brushed pattern goes. I made it so it goes lengthwise. I think it would look weird if you did it the other way.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:52 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Powdercoat?

Tough, durable and lightweight. I did my stock wheels in a low gloss grainy black. 15,000 miles later they look like they were just done, not a chip, no fading, inexpensive. No bad consequences.

Even better, the operator will strip the old finish off, its the first step he has to
do, and he goes down to bare metal.

My guy, Exotic Coatings, matched the o/s rear view mirror brackets exactly. Yours can too.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Thanks Karl, I agree about the grain and that's how I ordered it. So will give that I shot before I go for the carbon fibre sills.

Flinder, that'll probably be my next route if this doesn't work.
CHris

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Yes, that's the one. If you buy some, make sure to pay attention to which way the brushed pattern goes. I made it so it goes lengthwise. I think it would look weird if you did it the other way.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Wow. Didn't take long for you to place an order, Chris.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Karl, any tips on how to work with the bolt holes on the sills, specifically, any special trick to keep the film from lifting/distorting in the mounting holes in the sills when tightening the bolts?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Chris - did you end up wrapping the sills? If so, how do you like it?

I have some scuffing on mine and am thinking about wrapping as well. Would love to see some pics of how it looks, as well as any tips. Good question about working around the holes.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I did wrap, I used the 3m brushed steel film and it's very close actually to my factory sills, but slightly less purple (I'm not really sure how AM arrived at that color for a black car with tan interior!).

Bought the film here: http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-Sco...1080-br201.htm Note that you need to buy
NOTE: because of the way the grain runs you need to buy a 5ft x3ft piece.

Karl's thread has some details about wrapping the sill: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Inept at pic taking so can't help on that. For the holes, at Karl's suggestion I dimpled the film and then completely cut it out. Buy one of those multi-blade wallpaper knives (you break off a blade and have a fresh blade), you'll use a lot of blades as the film dulls it very quickly. For these pieces I didn't need to use a heat gun, I do strongly recommend buying the squeegee that metro sells when you order the film.

These pieces are pretty easy. Good luck

Chris

Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
awesome! thanks for the tips!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Trulyyours2322 is on a distinguished road
I also did the wrap route as it is very easy and you can go a number of ways, Cabon Fiber look to the brushed metal look. My Sills take a beating from High heels especially on the passenger side so its a bit more reassuring knowing that I just need to replace the wrap periodical at pennies compared to going the Carbon Fiber route and cringing everytime she gets in and out of the car.

Last edited by Trulyyours2322; 08-21-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
If you do the Vcollection or other carbonfiber sills, they are coated with a shiny epoxy or polyurethane coating. It is simple to have them wrapped in clear bra material to prevent scuffing and Xpel brand shield can be wet sanded and buffed if scratched! Just FYI

Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Yeah, if I got the CF sills I'd planned to put xpel film on them, but think I'll stick with the wrap.

Originally Posted by ArtB
If you do the Vcollection or other carbonfiber sills, they are coated with a shiny epoxy or polyurethane coating. It is simple to have them wrapped in clear bra material to prevent scuffing and Xpel brand shield can be wet sanded and buffed if scratched! Just FYI

Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 AM
ComoLakeItaly is on a distinguished road
I did mine with Alcantara, I will make a picture as soon as possible

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by ComoLakeItaly
I did mine with Alcantara, I will make a picture as soon as possible
It might look nice, but make sure you're careful with it since Alcantara is not meant to get wet. This is why the Roadsters/Volantes can't be optioned with Alcantara steering wheels or seats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vantage - replace door sill plates