Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

I drive, therefore I am

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
I drive, therefore I am

Is it normal to see a red flash on the dash when going through the gears really hard, i.e., I believe the red "reverse" indicator comes on when hitting "redline" in my car (Vantage V8S).

In the alternative, have I found an electrical/software flaw?

Insight?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Are you referring to the shift indicators? In a manual, it looks like horizontal bars. In a sportshift, gear number flashes red. All in the manual.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:49 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
shows you're at the upper limit of the rev range.

Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Is it normal to see a red flash on the dash when going through the gears really hard, i.e., I believe the red "reverse" indicator comes on when hitting "redline" in my car (Vantage V8S).

In the alternative, have I found an electrical/software flaw?

Insight?

Last edited by zvez; 08-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zvez
shows you're at the upper limit of the rev range.
Thanks for this.... The owner's manual is a bit "much". I really just use it as a reference. I've seen that indicator come up a few times (i.e., twice), but I've never been able to clearly discern what it was since I'm more concerned with what's happening on the road. So it merely appears as a flash!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
rtfm!

Last edited by karlfranz; 08-04-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
rtfm!
I read it on a need to know basis!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:52 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Hmm. Sounds like you "needed to know" at the beginning of this thread.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM
JuanP is on a distinguished road
It would be nice if there was a more pronounced shift indicator (ex: BMW shift lights). Trying to see the gear indicator turn red while accelerating can be challenging - especially with the top down.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Hmm. Sounds like you "needed to know" at the beginning of this thread.
+1 LOL

I will read mine one day.... , but I swear it can be quicker to post...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by FatFrank
+1 LOL

I will read mine one day.... , but I swear it can be quicker to post...
+2 LOL

Such wonderful people here who are so willing to help out!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Owners manual is fairly useless. It doesn't even include information on the fuse box under the passenger footwell. - Crazy!

Additional, let me suggest that you read some of the FINE print (as there is a considerable amount). Aston Martin requires its owners to check their oil every 10 days or two tanks of gas. If you do not, the warranty is voided. Of course the question would be, how do they know if you did or didn't... answer: if the oil is low, then you didn't.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fubar
Owners manual is fairly useless. It doesn't even include information on the fuse box under the passenger footwell. - Crazy!

Additional, let me suggest that you read some of the FINE print (as there is a considerable amount). Aston Martin requires its owners to check their oil every 10 days or two tanks of gas. If you do not, the warranty is voided. Of course the question would be, how do they know if you did or didn't... answer: if the oil is low, then you didn't.
Caught that! I'll be headed home to check the fluid levels because I haven't looked at em since I bought the car. I tried looking for the traditinoal "dip stick", but just figured out this car doesn't have one. This is quite an adventure, might I add.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
be sure to do proper technique for checking oil, start car run for 30 seconds, let stand for 30 seconds and unscrew the oil tank lid (dipstick attached), wipe clean, screw on again and unscrew, check level.

Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Caught that! I'll be headed home to check the fluid levels because I haven't looked at em since I bought the car. I tried looking for the traditinoal "dip stick", but just figured out this car doesn't have one. This is quite an adventure, might I add.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by zvez
be sure to do proper technique for checking oil, start car run for 30 seconds, let stand for 30 seconds and unscrew the oil tank lid (dipstick attached), wipe clean, screw on again and unscrew, check level.
From cold as well
This process only applies on the V8 because of it's not so "dry sump" system

Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Piece of cake! Checked all fluid levels, and everything is where it should be.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I drive, therefore I am