Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Mercedes increases stake in Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Mercedes increases stake in Aston Martin

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/06/m...martin-report/

...The rapprochement between the two has been in the works for years now, and is finally beginning to take form. Mercedes-AMG is in the midst of developing a new engine with and for Aston Martin in an apparently similar arrangement to that which it has with Pagani. But that's not the extent of it.

Daimler will also furnish Aston Martin with electrical systems and other components, said to lead up to the eventual sharing of platforms: one to underpin future GTs and another to serve as the basis for a long-mooted Aston Martin crossover, now said to be back on the table and slated to launch in 2017. The prospect of using the partnership to reinvigorate both the Lagonda and Maybach luxury brands, however, has since been taken off the table, with both parties continuing those projects independently....
Very interesting. The crossover is back on again but at least they are developing an engine for the Aston similar to what they did for Pagani.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm honestly not worried about the upcoming engine - I'm sure it'll have plenty of power, power potential, and greatly improved efficiency. Not worried about the transmission, either - AMG has great dual-clutch transmissions. What I am worried about is Astons losing their feel - the exhaust sounds, the steering feedback, the driving experience as a whole.

I hope they can integrate AMG's know-how while keeping true to what they do better than anyone else out there - making a car that is absolutely wonderful to drive.

Off Topic: Did you get your GT3 yet? I saw a red one a week ago.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
I'm honestly not worried about the upcoming engine - I'm sure it'll have plenty of power, power potential, and greatly improved efficiency. Not worried about the transmission, either - AMG has great dual-clutch transmissions. What I am worried about is Astons losing their feel - the exhaust sounds, the steering feedback, the driving experience as a whole.

I hope they can integrate AMG's know-how while keeping true to what they do better than anyone else out there - making a car that is absolutely wonderful to drive.

Off Topic: Did you get your GT3 yet? I saw a red one a week ago.
I share your exact same concerns. I personally am not a fan of the sound that the Mercedes AMGs put out.

Regarding the GT3, not yet. My 2014 spot was pushed to 2015 so I'm guessing I won't get it till the winter. Depending on timing I may just pass on the GT3 and get the GT3RS, assuming they announce it soon and my dealership gets 2 2015 allocations. In the meantime I'm "stuck" with my 991 Carrera S

Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I don't like the AMG sound either. Their cars sound dirty and obnoxious to me. Feel like some of the modern Jags sound the same way. Regardless, I think the sound we hear has more to do with the design of the exhaust system than the engine, so no worries there.

Really wish Aston wasn't going through with this "crossover" idea. What's next, a minivan?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I don't like the AMG sound either. Their cars sound dirty and obnoxious to me. Feel like some of the modern Jags sound the same way. Regardless, I think the sound we hear has more to do with the design of the exhaust system than the engine, so no worries there.

Really wish Aston wasn't going through with this "crossover" idea. What's next, a minivan?
This statement is nothing new
It is confirmation of what was in the letter of intent last year
However AML has since scrapped the SUV idea for a 4 door bespoke saloon

Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of

If they really want to go big in the US market, they need a pickup truck.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
If they really want to go big in the US market, they need a pickup truck.
I'd be okay with a shooting brake.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:56 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
No bespoke engine but 'tuning' as predicted by the latest Autocar article. Turbos in an AM: blech. They had better work some sort of miracles with the sound and throttle response or this will be a real disappointment...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...s-name-new-db9

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM
I think it's easier to get a good throttle response than good sound out of a turboed car these days. Recently watched a review of the new M4 and the reviewer (Chris Harris) said the engine was great but didn't sound so nice.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by spinecho
No bespoke engine but 'tuning' as predicted by the latest Autocar article. Turbos in an AM: blech. They had better work some sort of miracles with the sound and throttle response or this will be a real disappointment...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...s-name-new-db9
I think it's safe to say all cars in the future are going to be turbo'd. Ferrari just announced the 458 refresh as a turbo. The California refresh is a turbo as well. It's only a matter of time.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari...-ar163786.html

Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I think it's easier to get a good throttle response than good sound out of a turboed car these days. Recently watched a review of the new M4 and the reviewer (Chris Harris) said the engine was great but didn't sound so nice.
I love "monkeys" reviews
I have that engine (single turbo though) in my current company car and the noise is a disappointment, especially when you find out most of it is from a speaker!
Merc are using the same tech as are others.
Doesn't stop them offering a "sports exhaust" as BMW do to improve the actual sound
Or you could do like one BMW owner did and hack the software
He can now chose from various different engine sounds including bikes and GT40's

Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by RossL
I think it's safe to say all cars in the future are going to be turbo'd. Ferrari just announced the 458 refresh as a turbo. The California refresh is a turbo as well. It's only a matter of time.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ferrari...-ar163786.html
I think you are right
It is far easier to get high power and high efficiency from turbos
They can also play tricks with stop/start, different boost curves in different gears, limiting boost in top gear for economy etc etc
My M135i is a good example I thrash it, it does 35mpg what ever I do and goes like a bat out of hell - witchcraft I tell you!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I hope the fake engine sounds go the way of the automatic seat belts. Just awful!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't think they will
A LOT of them are doing it now Ford, Merc, BMW, Nissan, Renault that I know off the top my head.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 AM
That's just sad. When I was a kid I got a grip for my bicycle that made engine sounds when you rotated it as you would with a motorcycle. I thought it was lame then, and it's still lame now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes increases stake in Aston Martin