Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Porterfield brakes = AWESOME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 PM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Porterfield brakes = AWESOME

People should listen to Karlfranz on this forum more often. I find that he really knows his way around the Aston Martin brand, specifically for those of us that own and love the Vantage cars.

Like many others here I have wanted to open my wrists over the squealing brake issues! I have tried stock AM pads, EBC Reds. My friend has tried Hawk, etc. All have had some level of squealing. In my case the Stock Aston replacement pads were the absolute WORST of the bunch… And they wore out much faster, and they made the most dust!!! IT was in 3 different shops including a Ferrari dealership, and even an Aston service center…

Final fix? Porterfield Pads & Karlfranz's strong recommendation. Just like he said they would work… Strong pads, no squealing, easy bedding in, and after 2 months of use I can say almost ZERO dusting. WOW!!! So happy with this upgrade (even though technically they were cheaper than the rest) My regular mechanic guy did the work in less than an hour! saved lots of money there too! Couldn't be happier!

thanks again Karl!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I still have a brand new set leftover that I never had a chance to install before selling my 07 Vantage

Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
I assume this is NOT for Carbon Ceramic equipped cars.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Aww, shucks. <blushes>

Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 AM
geh065 will become famous soon enoughgeh065 will become famous soon enough
Had these installed about 500km ago and they squeal so much it makes me not want to drive my DB9. I will take them off and try putting anti-squeal liquid on it but if that doesn't fix them, they are going in the bin. The dust is much much better but I rather deal with the dust than the incredible squeals they are doing at low speed gentle braking and in city traffic it means everywhere I go, the crowds are staring for the wrong reasons!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:38 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
@ geh065:
Are you refering to the EBC red stuff? The squealing will stop somewhere after 800 to 1000 Km. I went through this ordeal and was rewarded by great breaks and almost no dust.

Cheers

Christian

Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 AM
geh065 will become famous soon enoughgeh065 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GDay2
@ geh065:
Are you refering to the EBC red stuff? The squealing will stop somewhere after 800 to 1000 Km. I went through this ordeal and was rewarded by great breaks and almost no dust.

Cheers

Christian

The Portfield R4-S is what I was referring to. Sorry should have clarified.

My brake discs need replacing soon. Does anyone know whether this might be playing a part? If I change the discs soon (slightly early) will the pads still squeal?

Last edited by geh065; 12-06-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Porterfield R4S pads on my Vantage and they stop well and make hardly any dust. Now if I could get a set for my DB11 because it makes a crazy amount of dust. Every time I drive it I have to clean the wheels, even if it was for just a few miles.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 AM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Why did an indy shop tell me that they have not had much luck with the Porterfield R4S and squeeling? They said in their experience, the Porterfields squeel just as much as the OEM brakes. First time I have heard of that. Everyone tells me the Porterfields are quiet.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I bought my Porterfield R4S pads from Rich, full discloser, used anti-squeal, self installed and no squeal from day one. Almost too easy compared to Porsche OEM replacement with Mintex Street. They had to be bedded in a bit. As for noise so far none.

What anti- squeal is your indy shop using?

Regards,

Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 PM
porkchopious is on a distinguished road
Rich (Redpants) is spot on. I bought the Porterfield pads from him for my V8V Roadster and used CRC Disc Brake Quiet when I did the DIY install. Very easy job and I took the opportunity to clean and detail my wheels really well at the same time. Could not be happier with the total lack of noise from the beginning and very little dust.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 PM
dshield is on a distinguished road
I love the Porterfield pads. Low brake dust, and no brake squeal (used anti-squeal on the backing plates). And they did great on the Thunderhill Track Day. Bought them from Rich.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:10 AM
air993 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used them on my Vantage with great results. I had a squeal maybe once or twice in six thousand miles.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by geh065
Had these installed about 500km ago and they squeal so much it makes me not want to drive my DB9. I will take them off and try putting anti-squeal liquid on it but if that doesn't fix them, they are going in the bin. The dust is much much better but I rather deal with the dust than the incredible squeals they are doing at low speed gentle braking and in city traffic it means everywhere I go, the crowds are staring for the wrong reasons!
don't bother with the BG Stop Squeal, stuff is junk and doesn't do anything... only thing that fixed my squealing issues was to replace the pads... I used OEM pads straight from the dealer, perhaps they now use ones that don't freakin squeak?

Old 02-15-2019, 07:04 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
I installed Porterfield pads on our 2007 V8V coupe last year. Initially had issues with squealing front and rear. Used the CRC brake squeal stop stuff. Helped a little but did not eliminate. I had cleaned rotor surfaces very well and drove for a while to try and get new pads bedded in etc but didn't stop it. Ended up getting front rotors re surfaced (they had enough thickness to do that safely). That helped immensely. For the rears I camfered the edges a bit more. I also think the e-brake pads on the rears were also causing some noise, so did a couple of stops using the e-brake to get those pads "cleaned" up.

Anyway, after about 500 miles they all calmed down and I rarely get a chirp out of them now. The low dust is also great, makes cleaning easier and less frequent.
Kevin

Last edited by kdm; 02-15-2019 at 07:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porterfield brakes = AWESOME