Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Focus Group

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Aston Martin Focus Group

I will be attending a focus group on all things Aston Martin on Monday, September 15th in NYC. I'm sure they will be discussing future products and the general direction of the company as it moves forward. I would welcome your input so that I may pass it onto the nice folks at Aston Martin on your behalf. One thing that I really will stress is the importance of keeping a manual transmission in the product line-up. I like the idea of a 4 door 4WD shooting brake (instead of an SUV). But I really need your help so please give this some though and kindly reply to this post.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
How did you get invited to that? I want to go!

The main thing AML does better than anyone in the automotive business is build a car that delivers a truly wonderful experience. That is based extremely heavily on the style of the car inside and out, and on what the driver feels when behind the wheel. Trying to compete on terms of efficiency, smoothness, etc will lead to a numb car. At that point, AML will be discarding what it does best to compete with companies with vast resources. Nobody wants a Mercedes because it's a great car to drive - they want it to have something comfy, nice, and full of bells-n-whistles. That isn't an Aston. Let the driver feel something - keep hydraulic steering pumps, keep the manual transmission, let us hear a *refined* but aggressive engine snarl. I want to feel the road through the steering wheel and pedals. I want to know what the tires are telling me because a direct connection tells me - not because a computer program is changing outputs.

Yes, I get that emissions and fuel efficiency is a big deal these days, but if it must be gained by sacrificing driving sensation, I'll have no reason to buy another Aston. At that point I'll get a Porsche. Aston is a very unique brand in that it still builds cars that are fun to drive, as well as being drop-dead gorgeous and rare. They shouldn't try to compete with Porsche. They need to stick to what is keeping them alive. Incorporating AMG's drivetrains and electronics will ensure they stay relevant in the market, and maintaining a driving experience will ensure they stay desirable.

And obviously the manual transmission. Especially one mated to a V12. Especially since nobody makes a V12 car with manual-transmission anymore. Especially since manual transmission. Manual transmission.

For the DB9 replacement and Rapide - it's a GT car, so make it more comfy, refined, etc.
For the Vantage - it's a sports car, so make it aggressive in both style and performance. I want the CC100 front end on a Vantage - make the car look mean!
For the Vanquish - it's a halo car, so make it all the above.

Aside from that - I love the idea of a 4-door estate car. I've seen the Bertone Jets in person (the DB4 Jet, the Jet 2, and the Jet 2+2) and they're fantastic. An estate like The Jet 2+2 would give the Ferrari FF a run for its money and open AML to a new market, which the Rapide barely touches.

As for AML itself - CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT. They've got a very small market and only sell a few thousand cars a year. But as an owner, and knowing a lot of other owners, and having been to the factories in England, and having tried to engage with various levels of AML - be supportive of your customer base! It's an incredible group of people that are proud of their cars. Forthright outreach will go a very long ways in solidifying the brand and maintaining that loyalty. Take Bleen, for example - sell him the damn gear for his transmission. That's all they had to do. "Here's the part number, call this number to order it from AML/Graziano." Done. Forcing a customer to buy a whole new transmission lest they be left to fend for themselves is a horrible way to do business when you're already walking a fine line between staying relevant and becoming obsolete. AM customers very often trade up or expand with additional cars, they provide a lot of repeat business. Treating them that way will make them leave the brand.

Also, manual transmission.

Last edited by telum01; 09-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by telum01
CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT.
What HE said. ^^^

Nobody—NOBODY needs a $130k, $180k, or $280k car. The driver must feel different when he looks at an Aston. Must feel different when he drives an Aston. And when he's on the phone with Aston, he must KNOW he's talking to Aston. I'd like real tech support, 24/7. I want it with a British accent. I want it to be able to ship any part I want, in any color, with time definite delivery. And yes, a return call at a specified time would be fine. "Sir, this is Nigel from AML, returning your call..."

Restrained hairy-chested aggression. The beauty of understated elegance. A car driven by a gentleman, but only just. The best of Britain, minus the bureaucracy.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:54 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Echoing what others have said.

It needs to Look, Feel, and Sound like an AM. I don't care much about % of MB parts reused. A manual is also high on the list.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
The customer experience, per Telum. There are so few of us, including the pre-owned market. Take a page from Nordstrom. The cost is nothing compared to the benefit.

The cars: We don't care who's engineers are behind the bulk of the parts, but they'd better feel unique and they have to be legitimately Aston. I (we) take great pride in the fact that the Aston engines are based on a solid foundation from Ford but totally not Ford engines. Same will go for AMG. Engines HAVE to be Aston's.

The next Vantage has to inspire and impress. It is Aston's sports car. Don't try to make a better Porsche. Make a better Aston. The Vantage is the gentleman's sports car, so make it that again.

The next 4 door must be a wagon/estate/avant/shooting brake. And maybe not just a mod'd Rapide.

Keep the (a) V12. Forever.

For the love of petrol, please put the one-77 engine in a production car (next Vanquish). It's been long enough. The One-77 buyers will forgive you. Why develop such a brilliant power plant and then hide it? Ferrari is daring anyone to step up and shame them. And Aston Martin has the machine to do it with. What are you waiting for?

Keep the leather, the real metal, the special and machined bits and pieces. Every time we see the real, stainless steel hex bot that holds the sill plate in, we are reminded that this is a very special car. Keep it that way.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Excellent and thoughtful responses... You're going to make my job easier. Kindly keep them coming.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 PM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I love almost everything about my V8V. Only improvements I would look for would be a great automated gearbox, a bit more power and better low speed drivability around town and parking lots. If they do the MB thing right, sounds like they are on the right track to get these improvements.
I think Aston should not try to keep up with the latest gadget or electronic tech toy. These distractions do not stand the test of time. I also think Aston should not become too aggressive looking, it takes away from the elegance a bit. I prefer the V12V look over the V12VS honestly.
In essence, driving an Aston should feel like wearing a Patek or Breguet, even though an Apple watch might tell the time better.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rbobby
I think Aston should not try to keep up with the latest gadget or electronic tech toy. These distractions do not stand the test of time.
Exactly. Nothing dates a car more than antiquated electronics (like Nav), so the fewer you put in, in the first place, the less obvious the dating is.

For God's sake, do NOT put in MB gadgets and doodads. All it does is create massive (and expensive) failures on the back end. Leave that stuff OUT. The current level of content is good enough.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to this Aston! In case you miss what I'm referring to. The future cars need, Power, Beauty, and Soul.

Last edited by RossL; 09-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
1) I'd like an frosty machine in the back (as an option).

2) I know its not what Aston is about but sense they are targeting a cheaper demographic with the newer Vantage... I'd like to see a more robust electronics package. Phone integration beyond just a speaker phone. I love to have air in the seats (Texas is rough, a black car in Texas is borderline self-mutalation).

3) My big complaint I have with the V8V-S is the paddle-shifters are bad about down-shifting twice or not at all. I think the paddle needs a distinct tactile feel when the command to shift is activated. /rant

Do they give you a free frosty if you go to this thing?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Okay I was at this event yesterday in Marina Delray California. Very interesting and very cool. They had three new AstonMartin's for us to evaluate, we were broken up into three groups of about 8 to 10 people each. We met the president of AstonMartin head of PR and somebody from AstonMartin involved with the design of the vehicles. Each group had roughly 2 hours to deal with three different discussion points. There was a nice lunch and a lot of good feedback. It would seem they really do care what the customers think. And they were very interested in what we had to say. The fact of antiquated electronics came up quite a bit. Such as nav systems stereos hands-free phone's engine diagnostics ect. The subject of automatic and manual transmissions was also discussed. I think anyone that can participate in this at the other two remaining US cities would be well worth your time.
Ron

Old 09-11-2014, 01:50 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Sack Stevie Wonder from managing Quality Control
Get a real hard **** in who is happy to upset production managers if their staff are churning crap out!

Old 09-11-2014, 02:26 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Such conflicting messages. Some people want an old-school driver's car: manual, big capacity, many-cylindered engine, minimal 'techy' stuff; others want updated nav, air blowing up their bums, dual clutch etc.

I'm with the old school crowd. I'll go so far as to say: don't use turbos! Naturally aspirated, please, or if you must go forced induction, superchargers. And really I couldn't give a sh*t about tech stuff, especially nav, which I deleted on my V8 and V12! Keep the bespoke feel and beautiful design, don't try to become efficient German or techy Japanese, don't try to be flamboyant like the Italians.

What's Aston to do? Will they pander to the old school minority (who are probably a rapidly shrinking demographic in the next decade or two)? Or will they succumb to the bean counters and dilute the cars with the latest tech trends that have little to do with really driving a car, with little engines and turbos to appease regulators who perpetuate the nonsensical idea that this is how we can help save the planet? I'm not holding my breath...

Old 09-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Do they give you a free frosty if you go to this thing?[/QUOTE]

No, I believe it will be a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
lol, I agree every Aston should come with a bouncy blonde Martini shaker in the back.

Keep in mind that Aston has set its sights on M5 and Jag owners. It's looking for a price point of $100k. They are going to use cheaper materials less craftsmanship. It's just the cold fact of appealing to more people. I wish they wouldn't but that's their plan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Focus Group