Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Paint Coatings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Jean Claude is on a distinguished road
On the note of Modesta. Sheriff, to my knowledge, other than the distributor for Modesta USA, my shop was the first to begin using BC-06. We've done about 10'ish BC-06 jobs and it really is something neat.

Modesta coatings are stunning.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:06 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
On the note of Modesta. Sheriff, to my knowledge, other than the distributor for Modesta USA, my shop was the first to begin using BC-06. We've done about 10'ish BC-06 jobs and it really is something neat.

Modesta coatings are stunning.
I totally agree, done One Maserati Black in it BC-05 w/ primer did the infrared on that one, and another in the 05 Ferrari.

22ple is my favorite, easy on and off and extremely similar to the Modesta.

Might like to talk offline w/ you about your experiences and thoughts on them. Would be really interested in figuring out the 03 and 06 versions and the pos and negs about them. Coatings are my fav after the clean finish.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Jean Claude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I totally agree, done One Maserati Black in it BC-05 w/ primer did the infrared on that one, and another in the 05 Ferrari.

22ple is my favorite, easy on and off and extremely similar to the Modesta.

Might like to talk offline w/ you about your experiences and thoughts on them. Would be really interested in figuring out the 03 and 06 versions and the pos and negs about them. Coatings are my fav after the clean finish.
Feel free to call me Monday 678.859.1795

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Sheriff,

Thanks so much for the detailed post on what to look for when picking up the car. I did a fair amount of research on options, etc before actually beginning the process and it was sometimes tough to find information about exterior car care specifically about Aston's. I ended up visiting the forums of a lot of other marques to educate myself, so I'm glad that this thread is more robust in this forum for future members that may be looking for protection/ coatings for their AMs. JC - thank you also for jumping in and adding your expertise. This kind of discussion can do nothing but help members in the future!

In terms of my car and how it turned out - I was completely blown away. Not only by the finished product, but by the entire process. Before any commitment on my part for any work, JC spent 30-45 mins going over the entire car with me and explaining what he saw. He answered all of questions and really, I feel, gave me a thorough education on all of my options, the pros and cons of each, without being biased in any way. I appreciated this as much as I did the actual work and I would recommend that you find someone that will do this for you if you are looking at extensive protection for your vehicle. After making my decision to go with JC, I felt confident and secure that the options I had picked were right for me, and that is worth a lot in my book.

Now on to the pics - first are some before pics with commentary so everyone can get a sense for what was done. Also, as a recap, what I had done was an initial paint decontamination, old clear bra removal, clear bra installation on every exterior panel, and a "wheel-off" Modesta BC-06 coating on the wheels. The film that I went with was Suntek over the Xpel as it seemed to have better stretching properties so more panels could be done with a single sheet, helping to eliminate seams. The Xpel 10 year warranty was appealing, but in the end, I wanted something that would look the best.

When I took the car to JC, the paint was in pretty good shape, with some minor defects typical of a car with 6K. It also already had clear bra installed on the front bumper, front fenders, and side view mirrors. I had JC remove all of the existing film and you will see why.

Old film on front panel - look at all of that texture!

This drove me crazy - a huge and very visible seam in a very noticeable place

Way too much space around the edges pt 1

Way too much space around the edges pt 2

Way too much space around the edges pt 3

This installation was done prior to me buying the vehicle so I am not sure who did the installation, but it was not good and you can see why I elected to have it removed, even though the film itself was in fine shape.

As I mentioned, the paint, itself was in pretty good condition. Here is an example:

Hood - no paint correction. The hood was also not protected by any film so this is indicative of the paint quality on the rest of the car without film.

There was some swirling in some areas, some from normal wear, and some, believe it or not, that was there directly from the factory. I've learned since that it is pretty common to have swirls/hazing from the factory and you can see some of it in the video that JC posted.

Now on to the after photos:

Picture of the hood after film has been applied

Custom piece applied on A pillar

Same car, same fender as before - with a proper film installation. Notice, no gaps around the edges and no texture.

Full Front

Full Rear - check out the reflection. Mirror shine even through the film.

As you can see, the install is, in my opinion, flawless. Because I wanted as many edges wrapped as possible, JC installed multiple custom pieces to give a nearly invisible look. In fact, he knew the seams irked me so much that he took extra time to do every single panel on the car (except one) with a single sheet so that there are no seams to be seen. He pointed out the one panel where he had to use 2 sheets to me when I picked up the car and, honestly, I couldn't even see the seam because of the way he had cut and placed the film. If he hadn't mentioned, it may never have noticed.

If anyone is in the Atlanta area and would like to see the work, I'd be happy to meet up. I really couldn't be happier and I would highly recommend Jean Claude at Detailed Design Auto Spa if you are looking to have any of this kind of work done in the Atlanta area.

Last edited by mindscape9; 09-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Awesome work and some of those pics are stunning

Please keep in mind forum rules for non-sponsor advertising. Our sponsors pay good money to promote their businesses on here. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Thanks, Telum! Noted and I have edited the message accordingly.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mindscape9
Thanks, Telum! Noted and I have edited the message accordingly.

Mindscape --- Car looks beautiful!!!!!!!! Great color too. I love that one. I have not talked with JC yet, been slammed, but will within a week. Seems like a great guy and you did get one of the best in ATL. I am sure you are glad to have it done, and done right.

I am currently working on the plusses and minuses for coatings on top of the PPF layers. How it effects it, which ones accept it, if warranties cover if that is done, what are the benefits etc........ One of the topics I will be discussing with JC. Also, working on a list of coatings with their advantages over each other. Likely they will come down to preferene of the applicator.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Sheriff!

That sounds like some very interesting stuff you are getting ready to post about. I am looking forward to reading it and learning a little bit more about how/if coatings can/ should be combined with PPF.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 PM
They can and are done a lot. Not sure what or how JC does it, or what he recommends. He is your guy, but will be finding out and giving my .02. NOT jumping in on that like the PPF till I find out specifics. Will write that soon

Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Hi all great discussion
I am thinking it two projects
1) have Lambo G Spyder which is filled covered with spell ultimate PPF, CAN I use 22ple coating on it?
2) have DB9, planning to vinyl wrap it, can I use 22ple on vupinyl wrap?
Does it add more shine to vinyl wrap? I am planning To use this vinyl

http://www.metrorestyling.com/Arlon-...2600lx-220.htm

My AM DB9 volante is Metlife gold in color at present.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Wildcat1212
Hi all great discussion
1) have Lambo G Spyder which is filled covered with spell ultimate PPF, CAN I use 22ple coating on it?

WC - Yes you can apply the 22ple to the PPF on the Lambo, however the Vinyl I am not sure. PM ME and I can start finding out from sources on that for you. Even on the Lambo If you are doing it yourself make sure you test an area first, I cannot remember but I think I did it to my rockers that have the Xpel on them. Regardless if you want to test on mine that can be arranged (yes it works, but testing is always a good idea). I am in Tampa so could head your way to do it. I will find out whats best for the vinyl for you. Will wait your pm, give me a day or two to work this out. Thanks Andrew

Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Jean-Claude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wildcat1212
Hi all great discussion

Your 22ple can be applied over the ppf.

Quite frankly, I do not see the value of a coating over a vinyl wrap unless, maybe, it were a satin finish wrap. A coating will not bond as permanently to a glossy vinyl and with the easy to use products now available for light protection, I think it makes more sense to use a regular maintenance product.