Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Decision Making Process......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:03 PM
ChiTownM is on a distinguished road
Vantage Decision Making Process......

I have read lots of messages here and understand the differences between the 4.3 and 4.7 V8V models. Since I have a DD I am currently agonizing between purchasing an early model year V8V in the $50K range vs. spending 80K+ for a 4.7. I even thought of a GT for 105Kish.......

It will be my fun car and not get more than 2000 miles or so per year. Since I am torn I am looking for other V8V owners that may have had a similar thought process - so let me know how you decided on which one to get. I know you should always buy the best car that you could afford but in this case, it is not about the money, more about the most sensitive approach to my first Aston.

Thank you!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
my thought is always buy the newest car you can afford. All other things being equal, ie options, condition, mileage, etc. I couldn't swing an 09 comfortably so it was an 07 for me.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
They're both great cars. IMO, the 4.7 is worth the extra money. If you're torn, then the only way to figure it out is to drive them both. Remember that the 4.7 also got some suspension tweaks, and the Sports Pack became an option (which was introduced on the limited production 4.3 N400 -- no other 4.3 cars have it unless it's been retrofitted).

Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
I've never driven the 4.3 so can't comment on that. I am just an average driver and I would say that my 4.7 is very fast but not scary fast. It's definitely not the case that 4.7 has more power than you can use. It has to work pretty hard to trigger the traction control. Low end torque is just ok, you have to be in the right power band to have a satisfying over take on the highway for instance (say downshift from 6th to 4th).

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. My local dealer hasn't had any 4.3 used for sale so I have never driven it. The interior center stack looks different to the newer ones on pictures, when did they change that....I assume at the same time they changed the engine?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
yeah the center stack changed in 2009. The upside is that it looks a bit more modern, with some the settings that used to be buried in the menu now in the form of buttons. The downside is that the old center stack had dials milled from aluminum. Neither was very ergonomic

Old 11-08-2014, 07:58 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I just bought a 2007 amv8v at a great price. I think these cars have hit the bottom in terms of depreciation and there are some really good deals out there.

In regards to the 4.3L engine, it is sufficient for a sports car but as many have said, could use more power. I came from a Carrera S and relatively, the Aston feels a bit slower in my opinion. Definitely not scary fast. I also have a Cayenne Turbo, and after 80mph on a freeway roll, I don't have the confidence that my aston could pass it up if the two were side by side flooring it.

All that being said, I love the car for everything else: glorious engine note, great steering, gorgeous looks, and for it having a special character, feeling and charm. It truly is an event to drive. Plus, there's relatively not that many Astons out there.

It's not the fastest car: it never will be with all the competition having forced induction and dual clutches.

If "the boss" gave me permission to buy a new Vantage GT, I would've bought one right away. It's even more special with all its upgrades and interior touches. It may also be the last release of this car before it gets a redesign and an AMG engine/transmission/exhaust note.

Good luck with your purchase. You really can't go wrong with either choice as these are wonderful cars. If I were in your position, I'd buy the new GT!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Durango has a spectacular aura aboutDurango has a spectacular aura about
I bought mine a couple of months ago. I only shopped for a 4.7. I could have gotten a nice 10 or 11 model for less than $80k. I ended up getting a new loaded 13 model that had been on the lot for 18months for less than $100k. You can probably get a good deal on a new 14.
Another option is to buy a almost new 12 or 13 model for $90k and put on the exhaust mods. You would have an almost new 460 hp vantage for less that $100k.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
One reason you probably are buying the Aston is because it is a "rolling piece of Art", arguably the most beautiful Sports Car available. The main difference between the 4.3 and 4.7 is the HP--so you have to decide how important that is to you (0-60 time for example). Body style and trim are nearly identical across the years you are looking at. There was an upgrade to the interior stack in 2009 but still controls are very similar. Interesting they added a cup-holder in the 2008 if that's important to you--for my wife who always had a water bottle with her--it's important. Is "Cost of Ownership" (mainly depreciation) important to you, if so go 2007 or 2008, especially if you only plan to drive 2000 miles per year.

Most driver convenience features: adjustable seats, heated seats, cruise control, upgraded stereo, Navigation, etc (on my 2008 that was a list of $16,000 worth of options) are important to really enjoy the car, so make sure the one you choose is well loaded. The first year for the Vantage V8 was 2006, so I'd be looking at a 2007 or newer. I have a 2008 and LOVE IT! Plenty of power when I need it for passing--my favorite gear is 3rd, which puts me right in the sweet zone for passing--50mph is 3,500RPM and 100mph at 7,200 RPM (when I finish passing on two-lane roads that have a passing lane). Very Important--If you get an earlier model Aston, get the 3-Pedal version (You can read about all the problems with the automatic in several posts on this message board.)

Last edited by dicktahoe; 11-08-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
First looked at 4.3's because of price point for first Aston (pleasantly surprised). After months of learning (6spdonline, pistonhds, etc) decided to move from $50-60K range and consider later low mileage 4.7's (i.e. 2011 @ $80K+), some with a little factory warranty left….not a bad insurance policy for never having owned an Aston. From there a slippery slope to having just purchased a 2014 6 speed roadster with 100 miles on clock. As mentioned, good time to bargain for what is on the lot, my deal was 30+% off loaded sticker and 10%+ off dealer asking price. Insurance is more (a lot!) with higher value car and warranty starts when dealer registered not when first "owner" buys and registers. I'm very happy to get a spotless under warranty car that has already taken a depreciation hit. If I have to sell at some point I figure the higher initial cost of newer is not all added risk but some fraction, not insignificant, that I am willing to accept. (first post…pictures when I figure out how to get them on)

Old 11-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you all, the search and decision making will continue.....all replies were very helpful.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:50 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I bought my 4.3 without even considering the engine size because realistically there's nowhere you can go to use it, apart from the track. I've had some fast cars in pure acceleration terms like an SL600 (3.6sec) and Bentley Continental GT (4.3sec), but these times have been meaningless in the real world. You can only race from the lights to the next set of lights in most parts of the world.

I've found too if you use the acceleration of your high powered car, other drivers will try and race you or cause problems (I've been boxed in many times on the motorway), when all I wanted to do was use the whirring go-fast thing under the hood for my own pleasure.

With the Aston Martin it's been a different story altogether. I do the same speeds and drive as I always do, yet in this honeymoon period of a month's ownership have had no problems at all with other road users. None. It's the best car for integrating with the general public, bar none. Same with the Vanquish I owned for a year a while back.

So unless you really need the speed, get the car that pushes your Like button, because there will always be a V12 or a Sport or something that attracts you further down the field. It never ends. And you'll find the extra grunt does nothing more than get you somewhere slightly faster with a little more rushing noise.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Just to add - my purchase has been one with the least amount of accessories ever. I discovered later it had cruise control, and that was a surprise, but I rarely use it anyway - that's for boring cruising. My V8VR has no GPS or any of the fancy extras I've been used to on almost every upmarket car I have owned, but is the most rewarding from a driving point of view.

And the sound... the sound is exhilarating! I drive with the top down in all sorts of conditions just to hear it. Get one with that sound and you'll never go wrong!

Old 11-10-2014, 05:07 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
^^^I'll echo Ken on this. I discovered my Bluetooth after 3 years of ownership! I used it for a couple days as a novelty, and went back to forgetting that I have it. Haven't used the nav since moving to northern VA (I don't have the disc for this region and don't care enough to get it) since I just use Waze or Google Maps on my phone. I've never once used cruise control in my car, either.

I have an '07 (4.3L) that's somewhat heavily modified. The 4.7L engine would be nice because the torque at the bottom of the rev range is noticeable. That said, I don't care enough to "upgrade" to the larger engine anytime soon. However, if I was buying now (as opposed to when I was in the market ~4 years ago), I'd opt for the 4.7L and pay the extra it costs to get it.

The GT is a great choice as well - excellent driver's car for the money. I'd just add on the "basic" options... heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, and Premium Audio.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
For me I really enjoy feeling like I received a 'value' when I purchase a car. To be completely fair, $55k was a lot more in the cards than $80k when I purchased a year ago. The 2006-8 V8V is that great value right now on the market. The car is mainly about the looks, and the 'feel' of driving it. (it is a very good handling well balanced sports car... not shorting it) 40hp/40tq with the 4.7l is a nice addition for sure. Does the 4.3l feel 'under powered'... not in my opinion. Plenty of zip to maneuver in traffic or the freeway. I have had other more powerful cars. (My SRT8 Jeep would literally take the change out of your pockets from a standstill) But I am not stoplight racing anyone in the Vantage ... (probably a good thing at this point) ... I think the clutch cost keeps most of us from doing that... plus you'd look silly racing a kid in a WRX. If you are really going to 'track' the car... and compete in a class... maybe a different thought process and you can make a case for needing the performance bump.

Don't overlook the 2006. I thought originally that I 'must' get an 07, but frankly the 06 has been great. I sat in an 07 the day I picked up the 06 and the seats in the 06 seemed to have slightly more lower bolstering. Other details are small changes..... Do try to get the premium audio. Nav is really not worth it. I'd rather have a garmin. Look for overall condition and maintenance history. No one looking at my car would guess its age. It had amazing upkeep and care prior to my purchase. (and continues to have such care)

The real issue I see is that $30k is a lot to spend (60% more) for a car that still isn't breakneck fast.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 11-11-2014 at 11:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Decision Making Process......