Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tire Cushions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 AM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Tire Cushions

Looking for advice on winter storage... I've put my '14 V8V into storage in a semi heated garage (it should remain above freezing all winter). Put in fuel stabilizer and plugged in a battery conditioner. Just wondering about the real need for tire cushions? Have read about over inflating the tires as an alternative and have also seen comments that the cushions are a waste of time/money (other forum). What's the downside of just leaving it sitting on the tires (are flat spots really permanent or just a temporary thing)? Any comments would be welcome.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
Personally I would take them off and place the car on stands. If thats not an option flat tires are real and can pose a problem. Each tire is different.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 AM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
I'm in the same boat as AMCan. One of the reasons I don't want to put it on stands or pump up the tires is because winters here can be hit or miss. While I did put some fuel stabilizer in it since I'm not entirely sure I'll get through this tank before spring, I do intend to drive it when there are nice days and the road is clean. And I don't want to have to lower my tire pressure / lower a car off stands / etc before just going for an hour long drive once or twice a month (and then doing all that again when I get home).

I have new(er) PSS tires and I'm not in a hurry to mess them up though. I'd love to see if anyone had any real experience with the pads. Should I just suck it up and increase the pressure in my tires?

Edit: and speaking of winter... was on the roads earlier in my DD and there's already that damn beet juice been spread around by MODOT in anticipation of a few inches of snow tonight. No rain in sight, so looks like it will be at least a few weeks before I can drive it again

Last edited by midwestamv8; 11-15-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I've stored cars in the winter on tire cushions for years and have never had a problem with flat spotting. But I inflate the tires to around 50 psi or so. Not sure if you will avoid flat spots without increasing pressures, even with tire cushions.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I've never used tire cushions, and I've had flat spots in the past. It varies from tire to tire, but they've always gone away fairly quickly. However, for the last few years I've inflated the tires to 50 psi, and I've not had any flat spotting. I take the cars out if we get some rain to clean off the roads, and I just let the extra air out before I go, and add it again after. It's a bit of a pain, but not that much of a pain.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:17 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Try www.flatstoppers.com

Just got a set. Good insurance. Overkill? Maybe? Still did 10psi more than normal.

Easy on/off. Better than possibly replacing 2K worth of tires.

Putting it in stands and having the shocks/suspension extended for a long time can cause other issues.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Depends on the tires and how long they sit in the same position. If you "air-up" and change the contact patch every 2 weeks you will be fine. Higher pressures 50-60psi is not wrong for storage. Once the tires "flat spot" you cannot fix them! Cushions do work, but so do stands. Depends on your storage needs. Air is the most economical method. Don't forget fuel additive and a full fuel tank. It's all in the owners book under storage.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:14 AM
kaj
kaj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by STG991
Try www.flatstoppers.com Just got a set. Good insurance. Overkill? Maybe? Still did 10psi more than normal. Easy on/off. Better than possibly replacing 2K worth of tires. Putting it in stands and having the shocks/suspension extended for a long time can cause other issues.
That's my routine also, seems like the easiest and the cradles are much cheaper than the AM ones.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:42 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
the owner's manual has a section on what to do to prep for storage. They recommend overinflating the tires. Also, don't forget when you go to start it the first time you need to press gas pedal all the way to the floor, and press the start button til the oil light goes out.

Originally Posted by AMCan
Looking for advice on winter storage... I've put my '14 V8V into storage in a semi heated garage (it should remain above freezing all winter). Put in fuel stabilizer and plugged in a battery conditioner. Just wondering about the real need for tire cushions? Have read about over inflating the tires as an alternative and have also seen comments that the cushions are a waste of time/money (other forum). What's the downside of just leaving it sitting on the tires (are flat spots really permanent or just a temporary thing)? Any comments would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	storage.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	407760  

Last edited by zvez; 11-16-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:13 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
I also use a set of tire cushions after overinflating the tires of my DB7 as it is only used a fews week per year when I am in Europe, no flat spots after 4 years of this treatement.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Air pump

Got this great little 12V pump for $60. Just set the desired pressure and it will shut off when done. Pumped up to 50 PSI (sidewall of these 19" indicate maximum of 51 PSI). Noticed some other posts recommending 55+ PSI. Maybe other profiles have higher ratings?
Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
AM manual says to pump up to 50psi.

Originally Posted by AMCan

Air pump

Got this great little 12V pump for $60. Just set the desired pressure and it will shut off when done. Pumped up to 50 PSI (sidewall of these 19" indicate maximum of 51 PSI). Noticed some other posts recommending 55+ PSI. Maybe other profiles have higher ratings?
Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CALGUY
Personally I would take them off and place the car on stands. If thats not an option flat tires are real and can pose a problem. Each tire is different.
Bad thing to due if you set stands on the body and let the suspension hang all winter..you would have to set the stands on the lower arms to compress the suspension to normal ride height

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Depends on the tires and how long they sit in the same position. If you "air-up" and change the contact patch every 2 weeks you will be fine. Higher pressures 50-60psi is not wrong for storage. Once the tires "flat spot" you cannot fix them! Cushions do work, but so do stands. Depends on your storage needs. Air is the most economical method. Don't forget fuel additive and a full fuel tank. It's all in the owners book under storage.
Flat spotting can be reduced and most times fixed to the point of not feeling any concern...just takes labour to be paid for ;-)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Cushions