Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Vantagelvr is infamous around these partsVantagelvr is infamous around these parts
Engine oil

So I know the recommended is the Castrol 10w60 same as the BMW M series etc .
Has anyone used the Redline 10W60 . I found a source for 5 gallon pails , very reasonable cost compared to the costly Castrol liquid gold .

Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Zeeshan Ahmad is infamous around these parts
I would say go with Castrol's synthetic oils as they are recommended by many manufacturers and mechanics. Formerly known as Castrol Syntec, the new Castrol Edge with SPT (Syntec Power Technology) is one of the best synthetic engine oils for the money. This oil features long drain intervals and excellent protection against metal-on-metal wear, making it a great choice for drivers who rack up miles quickly.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
If I recall correctly, a few people have used non-Castrol oils to no ill effect. I honestly don't think it'd make a difference (especially under normal driving) so long as the oil specs match factory requirements. A lot of owners are very picky about this, but like many other things with our cars - I doubt it'd have a real effect on your car. There are some things where it does matter - gear oil in an ASM transmission, for example. But in my opinion, you should be fine with Redline in your engine.

Last year I did a bunch of research into competing oils. In some places the Castrol does outperform the others. It's been a while since I've looked at all the resources I gathered but, as best as I can remember, I didn't see a performance-based reason to switch - Redline, Royal Purple, etc, didn't outperform the Castrol oil in a way that made me want to change oils. I think the only time I saw a notable difference was with Amsoil - but they also sponsored that test (testing was performed by an independent lab and they offered up everything involved to back the results).

For the vast majority of AM owners, there won't be an appreciable difference between oils.

Last edited by telum01; 11-19-2014 at 06:39 AM.