Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

front end damage on a friend's V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
UPDATED: front end damage on a friend's V8V

Fortunately, no one was hurt but her V8V roadster will need some serious work. Her airbags didn't deploy, she was just a bit shaken up. Be careful out there folks.

Here is what the front end looks like after the accident:

UPDATE January 2015: The car has been totaled. The exact value has not been agreed upon with the insurance company. The car was a 2013 Vantage Roadster with just over 3000 miles on it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1984.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	409056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1983.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	409057  

Last edited by WG_moots; 01-20-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: new information
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
wow not feeling so good about how the wheels are broken like that

Old 12-03-2014, 02:38 PM
ChiTownM is on a distinguished road
Agreed. Wheels should not crack like that if airbag didn't deploy. Wonder what she hit.

Great to hear that she is doing fine!

Old 12-03-2014, 03:05 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
+1 on the wheels

glad she's okay, sorry to hear about the wreck

Old 12-03-2014, 03:10 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
She hit another car at an intersection and got spun around. I don't think she hit the curb with the wheel. By the time I got to the accident scene, her car was on a tow truck.

The first thing I noticed was the broken wheel.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
good no one was hurt ,, someones insurance and wallet is gonna hurt after the repair though !!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:39 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I would bring attention of the damaged wheel to someone at AM. That is definitely not normal. There might even be some legal action or at least an investigation.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I would bring attention of the damaged wheel to someone at AM. That is definitely not normal. There might even be some legal action or at least an investigation.
The car was towed and left at the local AM dealer, I am sure they had a good look on Monday morning (accident took place on Sunday afternoon). I took pictures and will show them to the manager next time I swing by. My yearly service is due soon.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
I'm glad no one was hurt, but that car makes me so sad!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I don't see any problem with the wheel cracking in the spot it was hit. That wheel did it's job as it was created to do, the LHF corner was hit, fender took the hit, hood absorbed, wheel absorbed, vertical link took the remaining force down low, air filter box dropped out and rail absorbed the remaining force up top.

The speed wasn't fast enough of both vehicles so none of the frontal air bags deployed from a diagonal impact, looks like 40kph(could be wrong, not an engineer)..neither occupant was injured, just shook up a bit but thankfully doing ok, the money to repair will be high, but it can be earned back over time...can't always say the same about your life..car did it's job well(along with the mag)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
My guess would be what's the bottom of the wheel in this pic (6 o'clock) was at the 9 o'clock position when hit and likely took the brunt of the force of the initial impact of what was a 90 degree impact (typical intersection crash). The bonnet is pushed sideways too as the cars squished together with the other vehicle rolling across the front of the Aston.

You can probably get a quick guess at damage by looking at drivers side door gaps to determine if the car bent at all or if the force was sufficiently absorbed by the suspension components.

I'd also guess the power steering bits need to be replaced, even if not visibly damaged.

And I've heard about insurance "diminished value" but someone else may have more info on that.

Sorry about the car - but protecting us is their job - easier to fix/replace them.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I think those wheels are the best looking (Imo, no offense to sport pack and newer wheel style owners), however they seem to not be so robust as I have cracked two in the 50k miles I put on my car.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Feel so sad for the car. Gave me goose bumps, I hope I don't ever see my car like this.
Glad your friend is ok.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM
UPDATE January 2015: The car has been totaled. The exact value has not been agreed upon with the insurance company. The car was a 2013 Vantage Roadster with just over 3000 miles on it.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Wow that's scary, if the 50% of value rule is applied, the repair must be in the range of 50 - 60k!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: front end damage on a friend's V8V