Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Possible solution for fogged headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:56 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AM V8
Hi sdekoning,

I have read your info on the headlight fan/vent system, brilliant solution. I was just wondering if the filters worked with regards to the dust and if they did, what kind of filter material was it ? Cheers.
Hi AM V8, been 15 months since the last post in this thread and all I can say is that I have 0 dust issues. The filters used are the standard very fine texture ones that come with the fan's and dummy fan housings.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM
ronglos is an unknown quantity at this point
I found it a lot easier to just paint the headlights body color and not drive after dusk.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
AM V8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sdekoning
Hi AM V8, been 15 months since the last post in this thread and all I can say is that I have 0 dust issues. The filters used are the standard very fine texture ones that come with the fan's and dummy fan housings.
Thank you for the reply, I will have a crack at this myself, I have a V8 Vantage, it has 1 x rear box on the lights, smaller than the DB9 but I should still be able to fit a smaller fan and outlet. Reading through the wiring side, where did you wire the positive connection to, how and where in the chain of wiring did the thermostat connections come into play, this could be the awkward bit, Cheers.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:08 PM
KiwiSG is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Light Condensation

Here is the comprehensive solution for the rear light condensation issue:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...f=70&t=1578781

Old 09-23-2018, 11:35 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by telum01
As far as I know, pretty much all Vantages and DB9/DBSs suffer from fogging headlights. I know it's a common problem and my car is affected by it as well.

Here's the service bulletin for addressing it, scroll down and you'll see it:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1114410

Cliff notes: Drill a hole, dry up the moisture, and stick some silica gel packs in there to absorb moisture.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it... this is one of the most ghetto solutions I've ever heard of to fix something from a manufacturer.

I'm getting ready to tear apart the headlights on my 4Runner. I'll be painting the housings (going from chrome to flat metallic grey), upgrading the projector lenses, and adding angel eyes just for fun. While getting ready, I came across something I haven't seen before: Goretex patches designed to vent moisture without allowing more back in.

I found them on the website of The Retrofit Source, in the "Accessories" section. They're $4 per pair of patches, one for each headlight - pretty cheap if they work!

I'm going to order a handful of them when I place my order for my 4Runner stuff. The main thing I'm wondering is if anyone knows for sure whether or not our headlights are fully sealed. It won't do any good to stick a Goretex patch on there if there are more holes allowing moisture back in!

I quoted Rich's original post cause it has a very relevant question that I overlooked when I recently tackled my headlight moisture penetration & subsequent fogging issues.

First there are two separate issues:

1. These headlights are prone to leak water into them. The bead of silicone used at the factory to seal the clear lens to the black housing is sparse, intermittent and does not fully seal the headlight from penetration by water (rain or a car wash). Typical result is a fried LED circuit board.

2. The headlights tend to fog up in certain climate conditions. Results in fogging, too much light refraction and simply embarrassing.

Rich posed a very important question: The main thing I'm wondering is if anyone knows for sure whether or not our headlights are fully sealed?

Well I think the correct answer is: Yes & No - They're meant to be from water but not air.

What I didn't realize when I addressed the first problem, by completely resealing the lens to the housing, was that the unintended gaps (leaks) in sealing were letting the headlight housing "breathe". Sure they were letting water in but not condensating when the outside temps dropped significantly lower than the air inside the housing cause these "gaps" allowed an unintended exchange of air into the housing (as well as water). Now however, completely sealed, when the temps dropped outside below 10C (50F) my headlight lenses were fogging up from the warm internal air and the outside cold air on the opposite side of the lens.

In another thread I posted pics sealing the headlight housing completely. My housings already had a small 3/16" hole (with apparent factory Gore-Tex patch about 1/2" dia.) already in them to permit breathing but it simply was not enough.

I liked Rich's original plan to allow more breathing into the housing so I purchased larger Gore-Tex patches that are 1.75" x 2" and used them to seal my aerated covers that I drilled multiple 1/4" holes into. So far so good but I plan to put in a couple more holes and two more patches closer to the very front of the headlight in the black housing underneath. I also removed the silicone gel pouches that were in the headlight assembly as they were doing nothing but keeping the moisture they had absorbed trapped inside the headlight.

1/4\" holes drilled into the head light housing cover

Gore-Tex patch on outside of cover

View inside cover with patch attached on other side

Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Putting aside differences of opinion for a moment on what has caused this widespread issue, or remedies to correct it - the matter of the condensation can lead to failure of headlights, turning indicators, & brake lights - making this matter truly a safety related issue. The NHTSA (in the USA) is the most powerful of any national org to deal with these matters. If it has enough information and incidences it can conduct an investigation. It can also force manufacturers to correct identified safety deficiencies at no cost to the consumer. Given the low production volume of these vehicles, the complaint percentage thresholds to trigger further action would be relative.

To file a US vehicle safety complaint you need your VIN: If you have pics of the condensation in either tail lights or headlights you can attach them to the online form - but that is not necessary. The whole process takes under 2 mins.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In Canada you file the same complaint here:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-25-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Putting aside differences of opinion for a moment on what has caused this widespread issue, or remedies to correct it - the matter of the condensation can lead to failure of headlights, turning indicators, & brake lights - making this matter truly a safety related issue. The NHTSA (in the USA) is the most powerful of any national org to deal with these matters. If it has enough information and incidences it can conduct an investigation. It can also force manufacturers to correct identified safety deficiencies at no cost to the consumer. Given the low production volume of these vehicles, the complaint percentage thresholds to trigger further action would be relative.

To file a US vehicle safety complaint you need your VIN: If you have pics of the condensation in either tail lights or headlights you can attach them to the online form - but that is not necessary. The whole process takes under 2 mins.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In Canada you file the same complaint here:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
This is a great idea

Old 12-20-2022, 04:49 AM
Aston powers is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by telum01
It looks like the headlight has a fitting molded into the back of the housing for that breather hose to connect to. If I'm understanding its design correctly, I'd not only have to drill a hole, I'd also have to find a way to secure the connector and find a way to seal between it and the housing.
V8V head light fog. I’ve just had the twin fan kit installed £560 all in at aston service Dorset. See how we go. Cleared the initial fog straight away. Time will tell. If it’s good then a good investment. If not sadly it’s time to let the Aston go. I’m a little tired of spending out on parts that should be relied upon.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:52 AM
MAUMAU is an unknown quantity at this point
I’ve had the headlight ventilation kit by AMUpgrades for two years and they are fantastic. Zero condensation and they work perfectly. To make the kit even better, I added the optional timer/rheostat which allows you to decide when the fans operate. This works great when you just want to pull your vehicle out of the garage to wash it and then put it back in. As the engine has not heated up enough to activate the ventilation system, I simply turn the dial and the fans come on. The optional timer/rheostat is very easy to install in about 5 minutes.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:59 PM
scapesandshapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MAUMAU
I’ve had the headlight ventilation kit by AMUpgrades for two years and they are fantastic. Zero condensation and they work perfectly. To make the kit even better, I added the optional timer/rheostat which allows you to decide when the fans operate. This works great when you just want to pull your vehicle out of the garage to wash it and then put it back in. As the engine has not heated up enough to activate the ventilation system, I simply turn the dial and the fans come on. The optional timer/rheostat is very easy to install in about 5 minutes.
Where does AMUpgrades sell the ventilation kit?

Old 03-11-2024, 11:00 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
AFAIK amupgrades @ gmail . com is the only point of contact.