Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My quest for a db9 and a new AM owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Mitch P. is on a distinguished road
I am tempted to start looking for some mild tuning of the DB9, but am unfamiliar with the reputable and proven (with dyno graphs) tuners. Any suggestions are welcomed, but I am anticipating high $$'s for only roughly 10% gains out of a NA engine? If I can find an honest 10% gain out of the engine and not break the bank I may pull the trigger.

With that said, I'm guessing that the only way to do this is to get the restrictions out of the system by doing intakes, cats, exhaust, and ECU tune? If anyone has some real world experience together with proven dyno curves I would greatly appreciate it, cheers! That does not sound cheap, especially on a vehicle like this - :-0

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM
K550 is on a distinguished road
Congrats to your gorgeous ride!

It was a pleasure to read your post! Thank you for sharing!
I have been "lurking" for a while, and "researching", and shopping; will probably go for a 2009 DB9 Volante some time this year;
and I am concerned about the rear seat usability, too... have a 9 yo daughter, who loves to ride in current convertible...

Wife recently said that I should consider leasing, if I "just wanted to get the Aston out of my system", however, I am not sure that would be advisable financially, compared to buying the car and selling it down the road...?

Any thoughts?

Either way: Congratulations to a beautiful vehicle! (Wish I could have seen a family of 4 traveling in it!)

Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K550
Wife recently said that I should consider leasing, if I "just wanted to get the Aston out of my system", however, I am not sure that would be advisable financially, compared to buying the car and selling it down the road...?

Any thoughts?
If you just want to get one to have it and try it, an older one ('05-06) can be had for a pretty inexpensive price. Buy at the bottom and you won't lose much on your sale.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Hi Telum,
Thank you for your response! I actually thought about that, and was considering the 2007 in light of changes for that model year; then I discovered the changes for the 2009, and did not want to miss those improvements... engine, top insulation, stereo, mirrors (?), navi, wheels... I just ordered the book I found on your website (The definitive Guide...), and will study some more!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Bodessem has a spectacular aura aboutBodessem has a spectacular aura about

My girls absolutely love it!

Just to add to it the above comment...I bought an '06 Volante last summer and I have two young girls (7&8). I'm 6'2 so the younger one has to sit Indian style behind me but the 8 year old fits behind the passenger seat no problem. You should test it with them in there. You pretty much can't use child seats in it but no biggie since they sit up high enough in the +2s.

Prices for the older DB9s are great in comparison to the new ones and even though you may need to stick in a few more maintenance bucks it's not bad. Best of luck on your search and I was "mandated" to have 4 seats because of the kids like many of us on this thread and I'm damn glad the kids fit! haha

Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
^^^ Too cute

Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your response, Bodessem!
Just what I needed to hear!
Congrats on the beautiful girls -- and the ride, as well!
That would be my favorite color combo, since I believe that light silver brings out the lines best, and I live in SW-Florida and do not want to have a dark (Obsidian Black!) interior.
My wife will be the tortured one in the passenger seat, with our daughter behind her... since I am 6'5"...

Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by K550
It was a pleasure to read your post! Thank you for sharing!
I have been "lurking" for a while, and "researching", and shopping; will probably go for a 2009 DB9 Volante some time this year;
and I am concerned about the rear seat usability, too... have a 9 yo daughter, who loves to ride in current convertible...

Any thoughts?

Either way: Congratulations to a beautiful vehicle! (Wish I could have seen a family of 4 traveling in it!)
Thanks! The issue with the rear seats is only an issue if I have the entire family along. With the 10yr old in the front, the 7 fits perfectly behind him. I do NOT want anyone behind me or else I'll eat my knees for the entire trip

This is my first time venturing into the land of AM so I have no idea of the depreciation curve, but I'm hoping I hit it right by picking my '07 with 17kmi on it. All I know is that I was contemplating an M5 (used of course) for the same amount and I knew instantly which direction to go.

As far as seeing all four of us in the AM, it was quite a sight. We had to pull off to eat and I chose a fast food Burgerville...to say it looked odd crawling out, and into the burger joint is an understatement LOL!! Great burger and shake though The older boy asked if we were ordering to go and I believe the look said it all

One more thing, I'm not sure if it's the area or not but I've had four people in four days ask me if I was driving a new Tesla Oh well, kudos to Tesla, I respect them very much.

Last edited by Mitch P.; 03-02-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bodessem

My girls absolutely love it!

Just to add to it the above comment...I bought an '06 Volante last summer and I have two young girls (7&8). I'm 6'2 so the younger one has to sit Indian style behind me but the 8 year old fits behind the passenger seat no problem. You should test it with them in there. You pretty much can't use child seats in it but no biggie since they sit up high enough in the +2s.

Prices for the older DB9s are great in comparison to the new ones and even though you may need to stick in a few more maintenance bucks it's not bad. Best of luck on your search and I was "mandated" to have 4 seats because of the kids like many of us on this thread and I'm damn glad the kids fit! haha
Beautiful ride and love the pic of the kids expressions, thumbs up!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Hey Mitch, congratulations! That's a beautiful car, for sure. Be sure to visit the Portland Cars & Coffee just off I-5 (past 217). The guys will love seeing your car.

Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo in Wilsonville can handle basic maintenance items for you, they're great guys and have taken really good care of my Vantage. Of course, they don't have the AMDS (?) computer to reset OEM stuff - head to Bellevue for that.

Last edited by spf1410; 02-10-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
One more thing, I'm not sure if it's the area or not but I've had four people in four days ask me if I was driving a new Tesla Oh well, kudos to Tesla, I respect them very much.
Rolled up to the gas station not long ago and the young attendant (really nice guy, btw), innocently said "This Tesla takes gas?"

Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by spf1410
Hey Mitch, congratulations! That's a beautiful car, for sure. Be sure to visit the Portland Cars & Coffee just off I-5 (past 217). The guys will love seeing your car.
Oh? Is this during the summer or year round? I'd love to swing by! And thank you 👍🍺

Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by spf1410

Rolled up to the gas station not long ago and the young attendant (really nice guy, btw), innocently said "This Tesla takes gas?"
Lol I was shocked. It happened four days in a row! At least I know who the car guys are now at the gym 😀

Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 AM
I guess that would be the time when you want to start "messing with people": tell them, "yes, it's a new Tesla hybrid, made in GB", or that it's a concept car, etc...
good for Tesla, though, pretty much the highest compliment on styling/looks you can give a car, if you believe an AM looks like it!!
As for the expression "eating my knees" (love it!): that's how I felt in a 2001 Porsche Turbo of a friend many years ago -- the sight of me behind the wheel literally made him laugh out loud, especially when I told him (being polite) that it was "really comfortable"! -- I wonder if Porsche has changed the cabin dimensions over the last decade...?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Wow what a beauty? Love the color. Enjoy it and drive the hell out of it.
Ron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My quest for a db9 and a new AM owner