Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Riddle me this....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Riddle me this....

Was in a conversation with a guy about cars. I told him I was planning to get an AMV8 in the future and of course price came up. He made an interesting point. Why get an AM when for 1/2 the price a used Gt500 Mustang. It has 500 hp about the same size. You can coast to coast with no worries and a dealer within 2 hours. Not mention the repair costs and ease of parts and service locations. I gave him the normal replies then he topped it with this. For the same cost of and exhaust you can add 100 hp or more. I gave some a couple more stock answers and the conversation moved on to something else.
But the guy has a point. For less than 40k you can buy a used GT500 and with a little extra effort add 100hp or more and still get it service at the ford dealer.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
/facepalm

If this is a troll thread, I'll be locking and deleting it.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
not to be rude but are you serious?? For half of that you can get a si civic

Old 05-09-2015, 09:48 PM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
An aston is a limited production exclusive car made of the finest materials compared to a mustang , why by a rolex if a casio keeps better time??

Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MSIZZLE66
An aston is a limited production exclusive car made of the finest materials compared to a mustang , why by a rolex if a casio keeps better time??
Great analogy.

You can buy a car to get you from point A to point B.... But one will provide you a greater s nose of enjoy,met and thrill...

Fine watches... Bespoke suits... Select vintage wines.... It's not about getting to the destination, but the journey... And that appreciation is lost on the masses

Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 AM
der Fahrer is on a distinguished road
I like to think there are two types of automotive enthusiasts:
- Those that seek speed / HP figures / 0-60 times above all else
- Those who appreciate the entire driving experience

The former will only be satisfied with the newest offerings from performance marques, while the latter finds satisfaction in a wide variety of cars old and (more and more sparingly) new that offer a more analog experience.

Sure, a GT500 is a performance "bargain" if you are seeking performance above all else, but more often than not that power is unusable on public roads safely. You just need to ask yourself what you value in your cars and find something that speaks to you.

For me, a beautiful design, mid-front engine placement, manual transmission, high quality materials, and relative rarity made the decision easy. Cool tidbits like a carbon fiber driveshaft and rear mounted transaxle sweeten the deal.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:54 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by telum01
/facepalm

If this is a troll thread, I'll be locking and deleting it.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by oo7
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Brilliant.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Ney I never said I was going to buy a stang, just mentioned a point that was made. That's all.
I agree with all of the comments and made the same points to the guy who suggested the GT500. He drives a 6 series BMW. So I don't why he got started on this topic. I guess I will find out if he shows up with a Mustang.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Quick follow up. He got this started because he watched Top Gear when Clarkson dove on through Europe.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Im on my second amv8, an 09.... After the hp wears off and you get used to it, theres not much left. With the anv8, the special feeling never dissipates, Ive had a lot of cars, many with a lot more power, none come close to the emotion of driving the vantage... The mustang gives motion which in normal driving you will rarely use, emotion is 100% all of the time.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:02 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
OK... did I miss something - Is there a creditable comparison here

Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I posted this on Pistonheads last week when someone else was exploring the value proposition of an Aston Martin:

Two imperfect analogies: wine and wives.
If you just want to drink to get sloshed, you can accomplish it with a lot less investment in both money and good taste than is required by a fine Cabernet. Yes, you can also get from zero to sixty a lot faster with something other than a Vantage. But you know what? A One-77 isn't going to win a drag race against all comers, either. To me, it's HOW you get from zero to sixty that counts most.
Also, if you just want a relationship so you can get laid, you can also do that with a lot less investment than it takes to get and stay married. But you know what? I love my wife, and there's a great deal more to real and enduring beauty than there is to transient prettiness. To me, it's HOW you get from zero to sixty in that situation, too.
Just don't let my wife know I've compared her to a fine Cabernet and an Aston Martin. While I would personally be honored by the comparison, I know when I'm too close to my redline with her!

Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Hey, Zuman I like your comment. You and I have the same car background. I had at Gt6 as my first car. Then an XKE, went FF1600 racing in Reynard for 10 years. Had a twin turbo RX7 that was tricked out. Lotus Europa TCS, Elise now have drive a BMW 328x drive. Headed for an Aston sooner than later, nore than likely 09 V8V.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Argus
Hey, Zuman I like your comment. You and I have the same car background. I had at Gt6 as my first car. Then an XKE, went FF1600 racing in Reynard for 10 years. Had a twin turbo RX7 that was tricked out. Lotus Europa TCS, Elise now have drive a BMW 328x drive. Headed for an Aston sooner than later, nore than likely 09 V8V.

This is crazy, my first car was a Gt6 and had E-types an rx7 and raced carts for several years. And every time in the Aston IS a special occasion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this....