Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Quote from Aston Martin of DC for Timing Gasket fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Quote from Aston Martin of DC for Timing Gasket fix

So I got a quote back AM of DC to fix my timing gasket oil leak and service manager quoted me $4750. Needless to say, my jaw hit the ground. I thought it would cost roughly $1500 since AM in Chicago quoted me $1350 when I did the PPI with them last year prior to purchasing the car. Just want to hear back from folks out there that have this done and what the charge was. At this quote, I will either not fix it or find a local indy mechanic to do the fix. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
From what I've read it depends on how they intend to fix it. Adding a bit of "glue" to plug it up will be cheap, taking the front end off and replacing the chain cover and gasket with new parts will be labor intensive but pretty much ensuring the issue will never come back

Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by koolkat1973
So I got a quote back AM of DC to fix my timing gasket oil leak and service manager quoted me $4750. Needless to say, my jaw hit the ground. I thought it would cost roughly $1500 since AM in Chicago quoted me $1350 when I did the PPI with them last year prior to purchasing the car. Just want to hear back from folks out there that have this done and what the charge was. At this quote, I will either not fix it or find a local indy mechanic to do the fix. Thanks.
Um, wtf... That's WAY too much.

Originally Posted by mkzhang
From what I've read it depends on how they intend to fix it. Adding a bit of "glue" to plug it up will be cheap, taking the front end off and replacing the chain cover and gasket with new parts will be labor intensive but pretty much ensuring the issue will never come back
The new gasket is cheap. Like, $100 or somewhere around there. The labor is why it generally costs $1500. $5k is absurd by any measure.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I bought my previous Aston used. In the dealer service records it showed that it had this leak repaired twice by the previous owner. The first time it was covered under warranty. The second time he paid around $3,800 IIRC. I don't know why it has to be done twice.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:36 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Bought my car from AMoDC with PPI done there; ended up with leaking tri-joint the next morning. Pieter gave me the finger on fixing it.

Had it repaired at FCI in Greensboro last spring at about $3400 including parts. The labor is a killer at nearly 24h. The fix is quiet literally a $10 part but other gaskets and fluid replenishment will bring the total to $200. It's a good idea to have your yearly oil change/filter done at the same time since the engine must be drained so that will only be a few more in parts (not included in above figures).

Good luck on having an indy shop fix it.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:38 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I bought my previous Aston used. In the dealer service records it showed that it had this leak repaired twice by the previous owner. The first time it was covered under warranty. The second time he paid around $3,800 IIRC. I don't know why it has to be done twice.

I recall there were two possible fixes for a while. Option 1 was ~$1500 but could fail and Option 2 was more than double but was permanent.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Another example

I was in AM of Troy today dropping off my V8V for the install of Velocity AP's twin plate clutch/light flywheel kit.

In conversation I learned there was a Vantage in the shop for this same oil leak fix. The owner had bought the car used and included an "extended warranty". The cost of this repair, covered by this extension, will be $4800.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 AM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
Can anyone elaborate on both options? I've been putting this off for awhile since the oil never hit the ground. However now i'm seeing drips! ugh!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Here's a cheap solution for you:

Clean any existing drips.
Find the source of the leak.
Plug it with a dab of RTV.
Carry a liter of oil in the boot for emergencies.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ellipsis
Can anyone elaborate on both options? I've been putting this off for awhile since the oil never hit the ground. However now i'm seeing drips! ugh!
See this thread for a candid response from the expert: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cam-cover.html

Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Thank you all for the input. I think I will live the oil leak for the time being as oppose to shelling out close to $5K for a fix.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:27 PM
jgriffi is on a distinguished road
koolkat, just checking in to see what your current status was. Did you happen to try the temporary fix above and if so, did it work? I just bought a used 2008 Vantage with a prepurchase inspection, and the idiots missed this same leak.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Does this require the motor to come out or something? Is it common?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
Does this require the motor to come out or something? Is it common?
Common on the earlier V8V, but was resolved with a gasket redesign at some point in the first couple years.

Engine doesn't come out, but all the stuff attached to the front of it (belt, pulleys, etc) has to come off to get the timing chain cover off.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:22 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
It seems like a lot of jobs require extensive amounts of time on our cars. I expect them to be as reliable as any other car but things do break and seals leak like any car as well. Sounds like a lot of things are not DIY jobs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quote from Aston Martin of DC for Timing Gasket fix