Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DB9 GT breaks cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:42 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold

Here she is, the final edition before we enter the V8 Turbo era: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/24/aston-martin-db9-gt-breaks-cover/

Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Ooooh, a new infotainment system for the Vantage, too!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The V12 will stick around for a few years longer past the Jag V8 bites the dust.

Is this cheaper to a normal DB9 similar to Vantage GT being cheaper than the standard vantage?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
The end of an era. The V12 is the heart and soul of the db9/S/Vanquish. I don't see how this car will be the same with a TTV8

Old 06-27-2015, 12:53 AM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by anton28
The end of an era. The V12 is the heart and soul of the db9/S/Vanquish. I don't see how this car will be the same with a TTV8
Maybe we will get lucky and AMG will donate some bi turbo V12 engines to squeeze into the DB9.... I would absolutely love one of those...!!

Anyway, the new Mercedes V8 bi turbo is good for 600+ hp so there will be plenty of power in the Aston version..

Old 06-27-2015, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by MRY
Maybe we will get lucky and AMG will donate some bi turbo V12 engines to squeeze into the DB9.... I would absolutely love one of those...!!

Anyway, the new Mercedes V8 bi turbo is good for 600+ hp so there will be plenty of power in the Aston version..
I'm definitely not talking down the v8tt by any means. It's an amazing platform! I've had a few AMG cars over the years and a huge AMG/MBZ fan. I just love the Aston V12. The AMG v12 is a much more efficient and powerful motor capable of 800hp and 1000tq with minor mods but it just doesn't sound the same as the Aston V12 Aston V12 just sounds so unique.

What they need to do is put the AMG v12TT in the Vanquish, somehow get it to sound like the current Aston v12 and then its on like donkey kong. Then the Aston brand will get the aftermarket support that it needs and we will see 1000hp Astons running around. There are a bunch of S/CL/SL65 guys running that power with relatively minor mods.

Last edited by anton28; 06-27-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MRY
Here's to that!! I don't see why it couldn't wouldn't happen.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM
MRY

I'm definitely not talking down the v8tt by any means. It's an amazing platform! I've had a few AMG cars over the years and a huge AMG/MBZ fan. I just love the Aston V12. The AMG v12 is a much more efficient and powerful motor capable of 800hp and 1000tq with minor mods but it just doesn't sound the same as the Aston V12 Aston V12 just sounds so unique.

What they need to do is put the AMG v12TT in the Vanquish, somehow get it to sound like the current Aston v12 and then its on like donkey kong. Then the Aston brand will get the aftermarket support that it needs and we will see 1000hp Astons running around. There are a bunch of S/CL/SL65 guys running that power with relatively minor mods.
A buddy of mine has a Renntech CL65, and I have driven it to 320kmh in 1.5 miles on a speed event with a validated timing slip, and also more than 300kmh on the road, and it would be fantastic to have that kind of power in a DB9.

I am thinking of buying another DB9 and installing twin turbos on it. 1000hp is very attainable on the AM engine. The rule of thumb tells me that I can double the power and only put an additional 10% load on the components by keeping the peak cylinder pressure in line with good heat management. I need to finish another car project first though.

Anyway, I hope Aston gets the CL65 AMG V12TT engine, Bosch ECU, and ZF8 speed. I would definitely buy one of those and save myself all the hard work of building one..!!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by MRY
A buddy of mine has a Renntech CL65, and I have driven it to 320kmh in 1.5 miles on a speed event with a validated timing slip, and also more than 300kmh on the road, and it would be fantastic to have that kind of power in a DB9.

I am thinking of buying another DB9 and installing twin turbos on it. 1000hp is very attainable on the AM engine. The rule of thumb tells me that I can double the power and only put an additional 10% load on the components by keeping the peak cylinder pressure in line with good heat management. I need to finish another car project first though.

Anyway, I hope Aston gets the CL65 AMG V12TT engine, Bosch ECU, and ZF8 speed. I would definitely buy one of those and save myself all the hard work of building one..!!
I've looked in to a TT build for my DBS but haven't found a shop that would want to take the project on. Coming from a 1000hp and 1200hp vipers I'm very familiar what's involved but I don't know anything about the Aston platform and ecu to start piecing it together my self.

What would you run for engine management? I was told the V12 doesn't have a knock sensor which is a problem but I haven't verified this.

Last edited by anton28; 06-27-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:01 AM
MRY

I've looked in to a TT build for my DBS but haven't found a shop that would want to take the project on. Coming from a 1000hp and 1200hp vipers I'm very familiar what's involved but I don't know anything about the Aston platform and ecu to start piecing it together my self.

What would you run for engine management? I was told the V12 doesn't have a knock sensor which is a problem but I haven't verified this.
Hi Anton,

I want to keep the stock ECU's as I need the OBDII for smog in CA USA. This will require getting the MAFs flowed to get the airflow limits between 0-5V and see what they are to align with the power requirements. Apparently there are some people that have been able to get into the fuel and timing maps to modify them. The DB9/DBS use two EECV Motorola chipped ECUs with Spanish Oak code in a master/slave arrangement. (Ford units)

If the fuel and ignition map are hackable, then all the corners of the maps can be modified that are above the basic load ranges.

Anyway, if I were building something for off road operation, I would use a Pectel MQ12. An SQ6M12 is also fine, or I could also use a Motec 150 or M880. I have an M880 and an M8 for another build I am currently doing. Any of these ECU's save the M8 can handle DBW (electronic throttle bodies) and VVT on the DBS/DB9.

I'm not worried about knock control, as you can tune the engine to fail rich and have a good safety margin. If you need knock control to feel safer, then the M150, M880 or Pectel units can handle all of it as well as being on a CAN BUS. If you want to get excited, you can use in cylinder pressure sensors from Omega and control/monitor the peak pressure via these sensors and control knock much better than microphone based (piezoelectric) sensors.

Anyway, probably not the thread to discuss all these technical items. But, as I said, if AM went to the Bosch ECU with AMG TTV12's, then I would buy one and save the trouble of a build.

Best Regards,

Last edited by MRY; 06-28-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by MRY
Hi Anton,

I want to keep the stock ECU's as I need the OBDII for smog in CA USA. This will require getting the MAFs flowed to get the airflow limits between 0-5V and see what they are to align with the power requirements. Apparently there are some people that have been able to get into the fuel and timing maps to modify them. The DB9/DBS use two EECV Motorola chipped ECUs with Spanish Oak code in a master/slave arrangement. (Ford units)

If the fuel and ignition map are hackable, then all the corners of the maps can be modified that are above the basic load ranges.

Anyway, if I were building something for off road operation, I would use a Pectel MQ12. An SQ6M12 is also fine, or I could also use a Motec 150 or M880. I have an M880 and an M8 for another build I am currently doing. Any of these ECU's save the M8 can handle DBW (electronic throttle bodies) and VVT on the DBS/DB9.

I'm not worried about knock control, as you can tune the engine to fail rich and have a good safety margin. If you need knock control to feel safer, then the M150, M880 or Pectel units can handle all of it as well as being on a CAN BUS. If you want to get excited, you can use in cylinder pressure sensors from Omega and control/monitor the peak pressure via these sensors and control knock much better than microphone based (piezoelectric) sensors.

Anyway, probably not the thread to discuss all these technical items. But, as I said, if AM went to the Bosch ECU with AMG TTV12's, then I would buy one and save the trouble of a build.

Best Regards,
Great info! These are the type of thread discussions we need to see more of on this forum! I'm very familiar with Pectel and Motec both. I'll send you a PM.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Capt Vanquish is on a distinguished road
I'm new in the Aston Martin world, with an 04 Vanquish. Have you guys ever talked with a place in England called Bamford Rose? Seems the guy running the place is an ex engine engineering type, from Newport Pagnell. He can talk all the pressures, lambda stuff and what ever else. I started talking to them about getting rid of the pos of a header system on my car. It looks more like a plumbing system for an apartment building!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Look at the top of the page Bamford Rose is a sponsor here.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
You guys should start a new thread for this discussion. It'll be easier for people to find and not take away from the OP's post.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Capt Vanquish is on a distinguished road
But is Anton and MRY aware of who they are? I've spoken with them briefly and read some of the information they've shared on others websites. Seems like a rocket scientist understandings of the AM v12. And this subject IS worthy of its own thread!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin DB9 GT breaks cover