Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tires - do we REALLY know better than AM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
That's OK, you just keep on ridin' on your rocks while the rest of us go a different way.
Haha, +1

Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kensilver
Do you think an extra couple hundred bucks would have made a difference to a buyer back then? AM have had two strong marketing points in their pricing arsenal... cars priced well above competing brands to the point where everyone still wonders why today. And the 007 following which they have said had a continuing boost to their sales.

I agree as a boutique manufacturer AM just didn't have the cash to play round with, hence their rollercoaster bankruptcies and buy-outs, but they also had a marque that was revered round the world by passionate buyers who would pay the price.

I wonder whether tire price was really an issue here.
a few hundred bucks x a few thousand cars = a lot of money.

Tires are but one component, and every component has associated costs that add up to the overall cost of the car. A couple bucks here and there for each part adds significantly over the course of building a car.

Tire contracts are long-term things. Those savings add up beyond the course of the originally-installed set of tires. Us forum members are different than most owners in that we take an active interest in areas of the car that many owners don't care about (or don't want to touch). For many, the car needs to be entirely OEM - especially the tires.

And the problem is that people *aren't* paying for them simply because they lag in every objective area (HP/TQ ratings, fuel economy, performance figures, amenities, etc). They only lead in subjective qualities (driving experience, looks, sound, passion). The problem is that everyone loves an Aston, but not many of us actually buy them. That changed dramatically with the introduction of the current range (DB9 and V8V, specifically), but they still aren't financially sound and those cars are now further behind in objective measures than every other competitor.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
So, if going with Michelin PSS, do you go with standard size or wider?

People have mentioned the sidewall shape of the Michelin are different/rounder. I just want to ensure the new tires don't end up looking like beach *****. Does the extra width/grip offset with more sidewall play in handling, or is none of this even noticeable?

245/40R19 for the front & 285/35R19 for the rears?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
You can run the OEM size or go up one, you won't have any issues either way. They won't look bloated or ballooned, just a little meatier (not a bad thing).

Originally Posted by ab_aston

These are the sizes run on the V8VS and one size up from the standard V8V. They'll work perfectly fine.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
On a given wheel, the wider tire will look more "balloony," although the difference may be slight.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:38 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
[OT] I thought the Michelins were balloony too - but they don't look that way on the Vulcan. 345/30/19 rears, nice!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Here's a bunch of pics showing one-size-up tires (V8VS sizes) on OEM-sized wheels. The wheels are the same width and diameter as the standard 7-spoke wheels that came on the early V8V, only the offset is different. The tires don't looked ballooned at all. They just don't look stretched anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vasupe...7649746160817/

Last edited by telum01; 08-06-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:30 PM
slxkrdb9 is on a distinguished road
What's your take on the Conti ExtremeContact DW instead of the Mich PSS?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:14 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I've got the Conti ExtremeContact DW on my DB9 (245/285). They replaced 5 year old OEM Bridgestones(235/275) so they were softer & quieter as expected.

They're very good in the rain, which is important where I live. Very good dry grip too. But there is a bit of a hard cornering "set" that takes place and takes a bit of getting used to -- I guess the sidewalls flex a before firming up. Nothing scary, no slipping, but noticeable. I also get a bit of a "floating" sensation on one particular section of deeply grooved highway near here. Doesn't happen anywhere else, and never any tramlining.

All in all a pretty good tire at a good price. I need new rears now after 25K miles (fronts are still good) so I'm waffling between new Contis on the rear or PSS all around.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Telum01 - thanks! I see what you mean.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 PM
YVR, thanks so much for your thoughts, much appreciated! I just got a '07 DB9 with Sport Pack and now thinking of replacing the OEM Bridgestones with Conti ExtremeContact DW, moving from the OEM 235/275 to 245/285 in order to raise ground clearance a bit (given the low front splitter) and hopefully to soften the ride a bit (given the firmer SP suspension), and to lower the unsprung weight, since the Contis are several lbs lighter than the more sturdy OEM BS. Does the larger 245/285 compromise handling in any way?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Thinking of moving to the larger 245/285 setup from the OEM 235/275, since TireRack recommends it. Any thoughts or experiences with the larger set?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ab_aston
So, if going with Michelin PSS, do you go with standard size or wider?

People have mentioned the sidewall shape of the Michelin are different/rounder. I just want to ensure the new tires don't end up looking like beach *****. Does the extra width/grip offset with more sidewall play in handling, or is none of this even noticeable?

The Michelin PSS run one size bigger. The don't look baloony, but they actually do wrap around the edge of the wheel and extend out a bit further than most tires.

245 PSS = 255 RE050A, same is true for the rears, 285= 295 but will still seat properly without bulging.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-10-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by slxkrdb9
What's your take on the Conti ExtremeContact DW instead of the Mich PSS?

The Continental Extreme Contact DW is the closest tire to a Michelin PSS. They are an absolute fantastic tire for a daily driver. They are actually even faster in the wet than the PSS (continentals dominate wet weather grip more than any other manufacturer), but in the dry you do lose about 5% maximum grip.

I actually think the DW has superior sidewalls to the PSS and has better steering feedback. I have DW on my daily driver and they are an absolute fantastic driver.

The deciding factor really comes down to price. On some sizes DW is cheaper than PSS by put to 40%, on other sizes the difference is minimal. If the difference is minimal (less than $20) go with PSS (if they aren't on back order, which they have been for a while on many size). If it's a few hundred dollars less, go with the DW.

They are a very comparable tire. The ContiDW will definitely last longer too and are the softest most quiet tire I have ever owned,

Hope that helps

Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by slxkrdb9
Thinking of moving to the larger 245/285 setup from the OEM 235/275, since TireRack recommends it. Any thoughts or experiences with the larger set?
That should be fine, DW tend to run slightly narrower so 245/285 will be no problem at all. Just keep the profile the same.

You will absolutely love them compared to the BStones, also, the lighter weight per tire you mentioned is definitely noticeable too. Handling will improve significantly

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires - do we REALLY know better than AM?