Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Is it possible to disable exhaust flaps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Is it possible to disable exhaust flaps

I have an unusually quiet 09 Vantage - even fuse 22 removal has zero change, then it occurred to me, perhaps a previous owner (it was once in Bev. Hills) did not like the noise and disabled the flaps opening. So is it possible to do that, and if so where would I look to enable the system again?

Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Maybe you have a quiet aftermarket exhaust. Check for any stamping on the muffler.

I just removed fuse 22 and it sounds much better. I was under the assumption that if the vacuum lines are removed or plugged then it would default to open. I looked underneath to remove the lines but then just pulled the fuse instead.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Its a stock exhaust

Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Here is a diagram of how the exhaust flaps works. You can check next to the exhaust exit ports, you will most likely have to remove part of the lower windage tray. It possible that they have rusted in place, or perhaps there is somethign wedged in the mechanism to hold it closed.

Here is a picture of the valves on the exhaust from AM website:

Old 08-09-2015, 01:08 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Have you checked the vacuum hose connections? Maybe they are not secure leaking/split or vacuum pump has failed. If the pump has failed due to a vacuum leak, your options are to replace the pump and hoses that failed or manually hold open the valves. Safety wire works wonders.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:21 AM
The car is still under warranty, is scheduled tomorrow morning for inspection, not sure i will extend warranty another 2 years, as they seemingly now do not transfer warranty to next owner unless i trade it at an aston dealer! Will have them check valves and for leaks while its still on astons dime.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 AM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
The default path is loud, so if the hoses were leaking of failed, the car would be loud all the time. Your's assuming that it is the factory muffler is stuck on quite.

If it is under warranty, definitely have the dealer check it out.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Exhaust flaps working - the non 'S' 09 Vantage has whimpy sound...

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
There wasn't a "S" model in 2009. But glad they are working as designed. Stock is good cause it works and no surprises or issues with causing other faults. Fuel n enjoy!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Markchip is on a distinguished road
Cheap suggestion

Originally Posted by J doubleU
There wasn't a "S" model in 2009. But glad they are working as designed. Stock is good cause it works and no surprises or issues with causing other faults. Fuel n enjoy!
It struck me that it could easily be possible for the valve operating rods to become corroded and then to get stuck in either of the closed or open positions. A fair bit of WD40 plus manually working the rods up and down to break any adhesions works for quite a few cases where the valves are stuck open so it's perfectly feasible for them to stick closed. This is no guarantee of success but it's very cheap and very easy to try!... 😆

Good luck! Cheers, Mark

Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Why are you replying to a post from last August?

Old 04-27-2016, 04:52 AM
Markchip is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Why are you replying to a post from last August?
Because not every forum reader focuses on only the very latest posts. Some come to, or learn from the various posts on the whole range of subjects to find as much as they can. That was my reason for adding my comment - I felt that perspective hadn't been covered. That's why. ☺