Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Can't shift, no gear, manual DBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:17 PM
wysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nice
Can't shift, no gear, manual DBS

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere...

I lost access to all my gears (except 3rd, I believe) today. The shifter just wobbled around and wouldn't engage. Luckily, it stayed in a gear that allowed me to drive home, but I'm guessing the shifter cables are shot?

Something similar happened in the past, where I briefly could not engage a couple gears, but I didn't think much of it.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is this a simple dealer fix?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Someone else had an issue that turned out to be a broken shifter cable - I'd start there.

Does the clutch pedal still feel the same?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 PM
wysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nice
Originally Posted by telum01
Someone else had an issue that turned out to be a broken shifter cable - I'd start there. Does the clutch pedal still feel the same?
Yeah, I think I read that somewhere. Will have to hunt that thread down.

Clutch feels fine. But I did notice a burning type smell.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
There is a service bulletin for DBS models with VIN E00001 to E01351 which has to do with the shift lever ball joint becoming disconnected. The bulletin is SB-07-0305. If your VIN falls into that range this could very well be the problem.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Yorick
There is a service bulletin for DBS models with VIN E00001 to E01351 which has to do with the shift lever ball joint becoming disconnected. The bulletin is SB-07-0305. If your VIN falls into that range this could very well be the problem.
That's an interesting possibility. My VIN falls within that range. I'll contact a local dealership on Monday. Thanks for the idea!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
In case I run into this on my own AM:
Can you let me know if it was a broken cable, a disconnected shift lever ball joint or was it something else that was responsible for the problem? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:00 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Sounds like shifter linkage/cable problem.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Major problem? Anyone know of a solution?

I plan to put the car on a flatbed and tow it to an AM mechanic for repair. My problem is that the car is stuck in 3rd gear. I can't put it in reverse or neutral. So I can't even back it out of the garage! Yikes.

Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The flatbed driver should know how to get it on/off if they have the right tools. Go-Jack's and dish soap works well.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
The flatbed driver should know how to get it on/off if they have the right tools. Go-Jack's and dish soap works well.
Thanks for the tip! Never heard of GoJaks before. Those look tight! That's exactly what I need.

In your experience, do tow truck drivers generally carry those (I'll be using AAA), or is it worth springing for a set myself?

Also, what's the dish soap for?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by wysoseereeus
Major problem? Anyone know of a solution?

I plan to put the car on a flatbed and tow it to an AM mechanic for repair. My problem is that the car is stuck in 3rd gear. I can't put it in reverse or neutral. So I can't even back it out of the garage! Yikes.

Any ideas?

Never mind, problem solved. Spoke with AAA. Looks like the tow truck driver should have all the equipment needed. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Some have them, when you call AAA tell them the situation so they dispatch the guy who knows what he is doing. Dish soap on the flatbed to drag it up and off and washes off easy.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:06 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
What am I missing? Just depress the clutch to move the car, no?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Hehe...Theory = K.I.S.S

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Ha, thanks. Yeah, I'd been contemplating this as a one-person job, so this didn't even cross my mind. But you're right, easy as pie, when I have the tow truck driver to push to the car, while I depress the clutch and steer.

Anyway, all's good. Car's en route to the shop now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't shift, no gear, manual DBS