Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replacing the factory navigation with Garmin 2689LMT 6"

Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Alex Wu is on a distinguished road
Replacing the factory navigation with Garmin 2689LMT 6"

The install itself isn't terribly difficult. Just the typical learning curve because I only had my MY07 for 2 days before I attempted this. (Only owned the car for a week now) Sorry for no pics of the install, I was a bit busy learning. I'll probably take out the unit so I can do some pics later. On difficulty scale probably a 6 but reallly comes down to patience because there were certain differences between my car and DIYs on the forum. (Mainly disconnecting the screen surround.

I had the plastic surround instead of the aluminium one so I only had to stretch two tabs on to disconnect the surround and then pull out the ski slope. After gutting the innards of the factory screen, I then dremmelled the garmin unit 9mm on left side where the mic is and 5mm on the right side. (so the screen is a little off center. It also involved cutting into the glass of the screen and I was a little carless so there is a 2mm visible crack on the glass.

This was then wired into fuse 45 in the cabin fusebox on the passenger side. The unit switches on and off with the car. The tricky bit that was a bit of a fluke was that I had the navigation running in the car prior to reconnecting the motorised mechanism that opens the nav. So everytime I switch the car on it opens. Once this was confirmed then after I had reassembled everything I removed the factory nav cd so I wouldn't get the instructions coming over the speakers.

Next item on the list is GROM VOLS604!

Mods thus far: 19" VMR V803 with PSS tires, Garmin 2689
Coming soon: Velocity AP springs, V12 replica sideskirts, GROM VOLS04, Audi S3 gearknob (has a bit more weight to it and I got it almost free) Detail and protection with Modesta, repair and wrap broken front plastic lip with cheap 5D caron fibre wrap and also rear valence. Remove all steel grilles and paint matte black (mine have rusted a bit)

Glad to be on the forum. Pics to come after detail.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Alex Wu
The install itself isn't terribly difficult. Just the typical learning curve because I only had my MY07 for 2 days before I attempted this. (Only owned the car for a week now) Sorry for no pics of the install, I was a bit busy learning. I'll probably take out the unit so I can do some pics later. On difficulty scale probably a 6 but reallly comes down to patience because there were certain differences between my car and DIYs on the forum. (Mainly disconnecting the screen surround.

I had the plastic surround instead of the aluminium one so I only had to stretch two tabs on to disconnect the surround and then pull out the ski slope. After gutting the innards of the factory screen, I then dremmelled the garmin unit 9mm on left side where the mic is and 5mm on the right side. (so the screen is a little off center. It also involved cutting into the glass of the screen and I was a little carless so there is a 2mm visible crack on the glass.

This was then wired into fuse 45 in the cabin fusebox on the passenger side. The unit switches on and off with the car. The tricky bit that was a bit of a fluke was that I had the navigation running in the car prior to reconnecting the motorised mechanism that opens the nav. So everytime I switch the car on it opens. Once this was confirmed then after I had reassembled everything I removed the factory nav cd so I wouldn't get the instructions coming over the speakers.

Next item on the list is GROM VOLS604!

Mods thus far: 19" VMR V803 with PSS tires, Garmin 2689
Coming soon: Velocity AP springs, V12 replica sideskirts, GROM VOLS04, Audi S3 gearknob (has a bit more weight to it and I got it almost free) Detail and protection with Modesta, repair and wrap broken front plastic lip with cheap 5D caron fibre wrap and also rear valence. Remove all steel grilles and paint matte black (mine have rusted a bit)

Glad to be on the forum. Pics to come after detail.
Could i see pics of the car with v803. I had no idea that VMR wheels fit on the aston! I am actually sponsored by VMR has ive had 5 Bimmers with their wheels. In fact one of my cars was in there booth. Love their wheels!

Name:  Bimmerfest2012281.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  366.6 KB
Name:  Bimmerfest2012276.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  400.1 KB

Last edited by goto35; 09-22-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I didn't see a car... where's the car?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Alex Wu is on a distinguished road
Very very soon will have pics! VelocityAP springs should be in next week, side skirts finished this week and detailing very soon!

Originally Posted by jateshk
Could i see pics of the car with v803. I had no idea that VMR wheels fit on the aston! I am actually sponsored by VMR has ive had 5 Bimmers with their wheels. In fact one of my cars was in there booth. Love their wheels!