Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What do people think of the F type?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
What do people think of the F type?

It's gotten cheap! Cpo v6 for $50 and v8 for $55-60. Thinking of picking up as a daily driver. Just Curious if anyone here has an f type?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I drove one and it is a really great car (but with a small trunk). I prefer manual transmissions so I never really considered one.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:03 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I was driving all F-Types (except the AWDs) on a race track (Jaguar invited to testing the Fs). Did not like the 6 Cylinder in my opinion they lack power low and mid range but it comes at higher revs remembering me of the old Porsche Turbo. Not my piece of cake.
The power curve at the 8 cylinders is OK and lots of power but what really amazed me was the suspension, very comfortable but almost no listing in corners which I thought is an amazing compromise, good roadholding, happy to corner. Looks and interior is a matter of personal taste, so no comment there.
Steel brakes on the 6 cylinders are 1 piston calipers, not my choice for a sports car. The carbon brakes on the 8 cylinders do not need any comment.
What really put me of was the feedback from the steering wheel almost none, my XF-S Jag has more feedback not to compare it with my Vantage, I just love the feedback from the V8V, I like to feel what is happening with the front wheels. Maybe thats just my taste.

Overall I can see me in one of the 8 cylinders when I am over 80 and cannot steer the Aston any more :-)
My recommendation: take a 8 cylinder for a one day test drive and decide yourself.

Cheers

Christian

Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Why would any Aston driver want to drive any Jag? It's a bit second hand and your mates will think you have fallen on hard times, you will feel inadequate at any intersection, with the working class thinking poor mans Aston wannabe, jags have a place in society, that place was on the way up to the Aston.
If your going to drive something else and you really can't be fussed about the akward entry we suffer in small bays get a Bently or a RR sport, going to a jag insults all Aston drivers...........

Only kidding:

Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I felt as if sitting inn a tub... the interior also looked like too many things going on. Did not like it

Old 02-03-2016, 02:36 PM
cmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of lightcmargosi is a glorious beacon of light
F Type

I personally loved the F Type. Very raw with a tendency to power oversteer, reminded me a little of driving an old 911.

I will say that I find the interiors a bit cramped and hard to get in and out of, but its a tremendously fun and beautiful car.

I think Jags are the best kept secret in the car world today. They are building a world class product at price 10 to 20 percent below their German counterparts.

I say go for it!!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I like the V 6 S coupe with the stick. I don't think you can find one used. New I think it would be $90k at least. I love Ian Calum and the work he did on the Vantage and the F type are beautiful cars.
Ron

Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I went to the dealer to drive one but didn't. I'm 6-2, 260lbs. The car felt too tight and confining. But that isn't the worse part. The interior felt cheap to me. Plastic can be made higher quality for nicer cars. But this felt like Chevy cheap (sorry Chevy). I could be exaggerating a bit but that's what came to mind when I sat down in it. I lost my will to ever consider it. Don't care how it drives. If I'm gonna get low grade interiors I can buy Camaro's and Mustangs with big power for less money.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, cheap looking interiors. You spend all your time inside, so no matter how good it looks outside, the inside matters more.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Lol I wonder who told you about these getting cheap ;-)

Test drove a v6s a few months back.

A lot more tech than the Vantage, plush suspension, more than plenty of power for 99% of what we do with these cars (and I'm not as good a driver to take advantage of the last 1%). The auto transmission was the best auto I've driven.

Things I didn't like: Seat buttons in the door look busy, super tiny trunk (in the roadster, which would be the one I'd get), front visibility is limited (more than the Vantage), deployable vents seem gimmicky. The car also felt a bit tall and big (when compared to say, a Boxster S). Lastly, they will continue depreciating like crazy, so if you wait another year you might shave another $10k.

Hell of a car, a lot more usable than the Aston if it wasn't for the tiny trunk (not a big deal in the coupe).

Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
haha after we spoke i was quite surprised! Test drove a v6 and v8. Def V8 is the way to go imo.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jateshk
haha after we spoke i was quite surprised! Test drove a v6 and v8. Def V8 is the way to go imo.
Ahh you see, I only test drove the F and F-S... purposely stayed away from the v8

Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Aston V8V with Eurocharged tune & cats was so much more enjoyable to drive than an F-type. It's a decent GT, but it's no Aston and it does not feel nearly as fast as its spec sheet says and it feels super heavy (V8SC version).. The Aston sounds way better too

Old 02-12-2016, 12:58 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I like the looks of the F type on its own merits. But given where the value of our Astons are going right now.. just put another 5k a year on the Aston and drive it daily. Resale won't know the difference if you are already over 25k.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:00 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
What do I think of the F type....

Well since you've asked....
F Type = poor mans Aston

Might be a nice car but let's be real, if your considering the f type and cross shopping a new Aston 9/10 people would go w the Aston money not being the deciding factor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do people think of the F type?