6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Watching the valet struggle (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/384098-watching-valet-struggle.html)

alexhuth 02-14-2016 10:31 AM

Watching the valet struggle

Took my wife out for an early vday dinner last night. Went to a local steak house and got the Aston Valet. Made sure the guy new how to operate it and he did know thankfully.

Came out to leave and since they parked it in front I watched a new guy go retrieve it.

After watching him painfully struggle to figure out the car for about 3-4 minutes, we just walked over, relieved him of his duty, tipped him for the effort and took off.

Next time I'll just park myself :-)

Zinful 02-14-2016 10:51 AM

I truly hate valet parking. When I am too old or too ill to park my own car and walk into a restraunt, I shall stay at home. There are a few restraunts in this area that one can not avoid using the valet service and despite the desirability of the menu, I simply do not patronize these establishments.

goto35 02-14-2016 11:37 AM

The biggest problem with Valet is our hand brake. Rarely do valets know how to put the hand brake off.

telum01 02-14-2016 01:25 PM

I've had valets flat-out lie to me when I asked if they knew how to drive the car and that they've driven several of them (worst was "drive them all the time").

Only takes them unable to start the car until I tell them to hold the clutch in while holding the start button, then unable to move the car until I tell them to release the handbrake, then unable to find the handbrake until I point it out, then unable to release the handbrake until I explain the ratcheting mechanism it uses - you see where this is going - until their lie is exposed and they let me park my own damn car.

And valets more often than not stall the car, for one reason or another. Needless to say, I don't use valets anymore unless I absolutely have to. And when I have to, I have a chat with them beforehand.

ncamv8 02-14-2016 01:36 PM

If you really want entertainment, try a Lotus Elise. Between the lowness--have--dive--in, the key-fob, ignition key, and Start button it's pretty hopeless. The only time I tried It took me longer to explain the ritual than it would have to park it myself. Never tried the Aston, seems almost as much hassle.

Ron Avery 02-14-2016 02:33 PM

Easy answer,is never let anyone else park your car ever!!!!!
Ron

larryg 02-14-2016 04:01 PM

I could never enjoy dinner knowing that my Vantage was sitting in a restaurant parking facility. IMO the risks are enormous.
Take the daily driver.

V12V 02-14-2016 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by larryg (Post 4472461)
I could never enjoy dinner knowing that my Vantage was sitting in a restaurant parking facility. IMO the risks are enormous.
Take the daily driver.

What he said. I would never let a valet park my V12V or leave it in the restaurant parking lot. One exception when we go to dinner in the summer there are a few local restaurants that have patio parking where the car is safe and I can see it.

terminal_ac 02-14-2016 04:59 PM

Using valet parking with these cars is asking for trouble. If I am unsure of parking, I simply take a different car.

Cloneman315 02-14-2016 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by terminal_ac (Post 4472485)
Using valet parking with these cars is asking for trouble. If I am unsure of parking, I simply take a different car.

I agree especially the paddle shift cars I would not even take a chance doing this.

DetomasoGTS74 02-14-2016 06:20 PM

I rarely take the Aston out for many of the reasons above. When I do for something special like my wife's Birthday, I call ahead at her favorite steakhouse and the reserve a spot in front that I park in. Valet never touches just gets nice tip to watch.

alexhuth 02-14-2016 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74 (Post 4472528)
I rarely take the Aston out for many of the reasons above. When I do for something special like my wife's Birthday, I call ahead at her favorite steakhouse and the reserve a spot in front that I park in. Valet never touches just gets nice tip to watch.

I'd like to make reservations for 3, yes myself, my wife, and my car please. hilarious

I am going to try that for sure!

SheriffDep 02-14-2016 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by alexhuth (Post 4472549)
I'd like to make reservations for 3, yes myself, my wife, and my car please. hilarious

I am going to try that for sure!

LOL,

Interestingly enough, most kids these days or even adults have never been in a true stick car, or even heard of a single or double flappy paddle gearbox. That is what bothers or scares me the most. My Maserati had the F1 tranny and I valet it several time in DC and I always cringed a little. The famous youtube video of that Gallardo being valet and the clutch smoked crops up. One of these days someone will say, I don't know how to drive a stick. The only beauty of all this, is that usually they will just keep your car up front, for all to take in the beauty of it. :)

mto 02-15-2016 06:10 PM

I call the manager of restaurant to receive prior approval to park myself and take keys. Tell manager will still tip the valet well. If place is too busy, and push-back, I take another car, or go to different restaurant.

Irish07@VelocityAP 02-15-2016 06:36 PM

I honestly love valet..I do about 3-4 asm clutches a year! ;-)