Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Watching the valet struggle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 AM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
Watching the valet struggle

Took my wife out for an early vday dinner last night. Went to a local steak house and got the Aston Valet. Made sure the guy new how to operate it and he did know thankfully.

Came out to leave and since they parked it in front I watched a new guy go retrieve it.

After watching him painfully struggle to figure out the car for about 3-4 minutes, we just walked over, relieved him of his duty, tipped him for the effort and took off.

Next time I'll just park myself :-)

Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Zinful is on a distinguished road
I truly hate valet parking. When I am too old or too ill to park my own car and walk into a restraunt, I shall stay at home. There are a few restraunts in this area that one can not avoid using the valet service and despite the desirability of the menu, I simply do not patronize these establishments.

Last edited by Zinful; 02-16-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
The biggest problem with Valet is our hand brake. Rarely do valets know how to put the hand brake off.

Last edited by goto35; 02-14-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:25 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've had valets flat-out lie to me when I asked if they knew how to drive the car and that they've driven several of them (worst was "drive them all the time").

Only takes them unable to start the car until I tell them to hold the clutch in while holding the start button, then unable to move the car until I tell them to release the handbrake, then unable to find the handbrake until I point it out, then unable to release the handbrake until I explain the ratcheting mechanism it uses - you see where this is going - until their lie is exposed and they let me park my own damn car.

And valets more often than not stall the car, for one reason or another. Needless to say, I don't use valets anymore unless I absolutely have to. And when I have to, I have a chat with them beforehand.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
If you really want entertainment, try a Lotus Elise. Between the lowness--have--dive--in, the key-fob, ignition key, and Start button it's pretty hopeless. The only time I tried It took me longer to explain the ritual than it would have to park it myself. Never tried the Aston, seems almost as much hassle.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Easy answer,is never let anyone else park your car ever!!!!!
Ron

Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
I could never enjoy dinner knowing that my Vantage was sitting in a restaurant parking facility. IMO the risks are enormous.
Take the daily driver.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:26 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by larryg
I could never enjoy dinner knowing that my Vantage was sitting in a restaurant parking facility. IMO the risks are enormous.
Take the daily driver.
What he said. I would never let a valet park my V12V or leave it in the restaurant parking lot. One exception when we go to dinner in the summer there are a few local restaurants that have patio parking where the car is safe and I can see it.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:59 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Using valet parking with these cars is asking for trouble. If I am unsure of parking, I simply take a different car.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Cloneman315 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Using valet parking with these cars is asking for trouble. If I am unsure of parking, I simply take a different car.
I agree especially the paddle shift cars I would not even take a chance doing this.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:20 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I rarely take the Aston out for many of the reasons above. When I do for something special like my wife's Birthday, I call ahead at her favorite steakhouse and the reserve a spot in front that I park in. Valet never touches just gets nice tip to watch.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I rarely take the Aston out for many of the reasons above. When I do for something special like my wife's Birthday, I call ahead at her favorite steakhouse and the reserve a spot in front that I park in. Valet never touches just gets nice tip to watch.
I'd like to make reservations for 3, yes myself, my wife, and my car please.

I am going to try that for sure!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by alexhuth
I'd like to make reservations for 3, yes myself, my wife, and my car please.

I am going to try that for sure!
LOL,

Interestingly enough, most kids these days or even adults have never been in a true stick car, or even heard of a single or double flappy paddle gearbox. That is what bothers or scares me the most. My Maserati had the F1 tranny and I valet it several time in DC and I always cringed a little. The famous youtube video of that Gallardo being valet and the clutch smoked crops up. One of these days someone will say, I don't know how to drive a stick. The only beauty of all this, is that usually they will just keep your car up front, for all to take in the beauty of it.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I call the manager of restaurant to receive prior approval to park myself and take keys. Tell manager will still tip the valet well. If place is too busy, and push-back, I take another car, or go to different restaurant.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I honestly love valet..I do about 3-4 asm clutches a year! ;-)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Watching the valet struggle