Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rust on the Engine?? Forum feedback much appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 AM
DynanMD is on a distinguished road

So I purchased a used 2010 Vantage w/ 6k miles on it, the dealer turned out to be not the most forthcoming with information let's just say, and I want to make sure that the rust in the posted photos is common or won't pose any problem or concern. The carfax history report was clear, but I am pretty skeptical. This is my first used vehicle purchase and I am beginning to regret it!
Also, the right side daytime running LED lights aren't illuminating and I find it hard to believe that they burnt-out this soon; can anyone comment with a similar experience? Do they just need to be replaced or do you think it is an electrical issue and what do you think the repair will cost?

Last edited by DynanMD; 02-19-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !

Did you buy the car sight unseen and without a PPI?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
My '07 Vantage w/ 12k miles has the same surface rust as in your photos except for the rusty valve cover bolt. It is nothing to worry about, at least it's nothing I'm going to worry about. I have a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has more rusty brackets and hardware than my 9 year old Aston Martin.

The headlight issue, I would worry about. I have read on the internet that this issue crops up for time to time. Some people have disassembled the headlight to repair the LEDs (which is not an officially-sanctioned repair), others have replaced the whole headlight assembly (which is the official method of repair). I think a new headlight unit is about $1,000. Good used ones are available for much less.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
My '07 Vantage w/ 12k miles has the same surface rust as in your photos except for the rusty valve cover bolt. It is nothing to worry about, at least it's nothing I'm going to worry about. I have a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has more rusty brackets and hardware than my 9 year old Aston Martin.

The headlight issue, I would worry about. I have read on the internet that this issue crops up for time to time. Some people have disassembled the headlight to repair the LEDs (which is not an officially-sanctioned repair), others have replaced the whole headlight assembly (which is the official method of repair). I think a new headlight unit is about $1,000. Good used ones are available for much less.
I agree, with that little mileage, rust is a given on the engine, unless you control the humidity. The headlight I would have checked out.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The "rust" is normal, there not stainless steel parts and are subject to constant heat cycling along with humidity. It's not rust that going.to eat it's way through the part..like the EGR unit, which is a actually cast iron/steel. The rust you have is just on the surface. And will not cause any further damage...this is just normal ageing, not just on Aston Martin but all motor vehicles.

The LEDs for the DRL's not working should be checked out..if it's not been awhile since purchase, it should still be covered with a dealer warranty due to the value of purchase.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-21-2016, 10:58 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=irish07;4475472]The "rust" is normal, there not stainless steel parts and are subject to constant heat cycling along with humidity. It's not rust that going.to eat it's way through the part..like the EGR unit, which is a actually cast iron/steel. The rust you have is just on the surface. And will not cause any further damage...this is just normal ageing, not just on Aston Martin but all motor vehicles.

That issue can be accelerated if the car is in a high humidity environment, or more than likely kept on the dealers lot as opposed to being garaged. Spray some wd40 (greatest creation ever) on the rust areas to control it.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=embdenb;4475515]
Originally Posted by irish07
The "rust" is normal, there not stainless steel parts and are subject to constant heat cycling along with humidity. It's not rust that going.to eat it's way through the part..like the EGR unit, which is a actually cast iron/steel. The rust you have is just on the surface. And will not cause any further damage...this is just normal ageing, not just on Aston Martin but all motor vehicles.

That issue can be accelerated if the car is in a high humidity environment, or more than likely kept on the dealers lot as opposed to being garaged. Spray some wd40 (greatest creation ever) on the rust areas to control it.
I wouldn't suggest anything to apply. 1 of the objects is the front crank damper and another is the EGR.. Spraying WD40 on the damper will allow the belt to slip and fling off any remaining spray to other areas.. Spraying the EGR will make a nice smoke show when driving

You could spray the cam cover bolt, but it's main reasons for rusting is the vents in the hood..water coming in and sits in that little cavity then surface corroded the bolt

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
When I first got our Aston it had the rusty bolts. I took them out cleaned the and painted them with silver high temp paint. The harder part was getting the rust residue off the plastic covers. For that I used a mix of simple green and oxi clean.