6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Aston Martin Garmin update? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/388315-aston-martin-garmin-update.html)

kaj 05-19-2016 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4515797)
Yes that is it.

Is that an old part number? The new Garmin NA map seems to have a different part number.

Jarod 05-20-2016 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 4517761)
Did using the Garmin update affect the Aston Martin start-up screen or being able to use a little Aston as the car logo?

No. Still shows the AM logo on start up and the little AM car can still be selected.

It is not a real update anyhow, as no data is changed. It just allows you to use the new maps from the SD card, the maps will not be copied over onto the Nav unit, the system simply reads the new maps from the SD card.

When removing the SD card, everything is back to the previous stage again. You can also select the maps to be used in the settings of the NAV unit.

You could have different maps available, e.g. central europe on the nav unit and eastern europe on the SD card.

kaj 05-20-2016 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jarod (Post 4517850)
No. Still shows the AM logo on start up and the little AM car can still be selected. It is not a real update anyhow, as no data is changed. It just allows you to use the new maps from the SD card, the maps will not be copied over onto the Nav unit, the system simply reads the new maps from the SD card. When removing the SD card, everything is back to the previous stage again. You can also select the maps to be used in the settings of the NAV unit. You could have different maps available, e.g. central europe on the nav unit and eastern europe on the SD card.

Cool, thanks. Does it come with the SD card or is it just a code to access the online updates to copy to your own card?

deckman 05-21-2016 01:27 PM

How do I add POI's? That would make it more useful. I still don't know if I would stop using waze though, because it shows where the cops are.

cuddapah 05-21-2016 02:38 PM

I don't think POIs will work in AM. They didn't for me.
But you can give a try. For POIs you have to use Garmin POI loader. Follow this link:
http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4518483)
How do I add POI's? That would make it more useful. I still don't know if I would stop using waze though, because it shows where the cops are.

JuanP 05-23-2016 01:13 PM

Thanks to all for posting the information about the SD card from Garmin, it should arrive sometime this week.

I think I'll miss seeing myself driving over water when going over the new part of the SF Bay Bridge though :-)

JuanP 05-27-2016 01:49 PM

Got my SD card from Garmin and installed it - very easy to do.

One question - when you bring up the information about the Nav, it will show the originally installed map and the new SD card. Both of these options are checked. Should you leave them both checked or only the new SD maps (both are North America)?

Thanks,

deckman 05-27-2016 02:02 PM

I left both of them checked and it seemed to work. I haven't used it on the road yet but as I said it seemed to work while in my driveway

kaj 05-27-2016 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by JuanP (Post 4521144)
Got my SD card from Garmin and installed it - very easy to do. One question - when you bring up the information about the Nav, it will show the originally installed map and the new SD card. Both of these options are checked. Should you leave them both checked or only the new SD maps (both are North America)? Thanks,

Did you have to update the SD card on your computer before you stuck it in the AM unit? Mine's waiting for me in my mailbox!

JuanP 05-28-2016 02:56 PM

I just opened the package and put the SD card in the Nav unit. Maps are already on the SD card.

kaj 05-28-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JuanP (Post 4521455)
I just opened the package and put the SD card in the Nav unit. Maps are already on the SD card.

Thanks, yeah I did that too and it's working. Any idea how we keep the maps up to date in the future though???

papigko 06-08-2016 06:28 PM

Has anyone tried updating using the lifetime update download available from Garmin. I didn't think it was possible until I saw the mini usb port on the nav unit next to the SD card slot. From what I've been able to find on the garmin website all we would need to do is purchase and download the key for lifetime updates into garmin express and then connect the usb port on the garmin device to the computer that downloaded the info. All seems easy but was wondering if anyone has tried that yet.

kaj 06-08-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by papigko (Post 4525576)
Has anyone tried updating using the lifetime update download available from Garmin. I didn't think it was possible until I saw the mini usb port on the nav unit next to the SD card slot. From what I've been able to find on the garmin website all we would need to do is purchase and download the key for lifetime updates into garmin express and then connect the usb port on the garmin device to the computer that downloaded the info. All seems easy but was wondering if anyone has tried that yet.

That seems like it might work. I tried putting the SD card into a card reader on my computer and Garmin Express couldn't find it. I was thinking I'd try putting the SD card into my old Nuvi portable unit and hook that up to the computer. If there's a mini USB on the Aston unit that sounds even better. I may give both ways a try this weekend.

papigko 06-08-2016 07:01 PM

Great let me know how you make out. This seems to be the perfect option for around $90 you get 4 updates per year for ever if it works. The garmin website list the compatible devices but I'm not sure of the exact model that they use in our cars and Garmin doesn't seem to want to admit that they supply units to Aston in their product listings.

cuddapah 06-08-2016 07:41 PM

I couldn't find the USB port around the card slot in my 2015 DB9. Can you please post a pic showing its location.