Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2009 DBS SRS Airbag controller location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:50 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation 2009 DBS SRS Airbag Sensor location

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this 2009 DBS Manual Coupe from a dealer in San Los Obispo California and had it shipped home to Easton, Pennsylvania. During the pre-buy inspection it was noted that the Airbag warning light remained on after startup. I referenced the earlier threads regarding the reset of the memory seat function and all operations are normal. I did notice the dip function on the windows was inoperative but a quick reset proved successful. I then connected the battery conditioner and haven't encountered any additional faults since.

Next I purchased an Autel MD802 which indicated an internal fault of the airbag sensor. Can anyone please tell me where this unit is installed? I looked up under the dash above each foot well plus removed the NAV surround panel to have a look down the center. From there I could see the passenger airbag mounted above the glove box but I could not find the airbag sensor.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

drivergmx

Last edited by drivergmx; 05-01-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 PM
09DBS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by drivergmx

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 DBS Manual Coupe from a dealer in San Los Obispo California and had it shipped home to Easton, Pennsylvania. During the pre-buy inspection it was noted that the Airbag warning light remained on after startup. I referenced the earlier threads regarding the reset of the memory seat function and all operations are normal. I did notice the dip function on the windows was inoperative but a quick reset proved successful. I then connected the battery conditioner and haven't encountered any additional faults since.

I then purchased an Autel MD802 which indicated an internal fault of the Airbag control sensor. Can anyone please tell me where this unit is installed? I looked up under the dash above each foot well plus removed the NAV surround panel to have a look down the center. From there I could see the passenger Airbag mounted above the glove box but I could not find the control unit.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

drivergmx
A few of us are behind you on working some electrical/tech diagnosis issues. We are trying to download the manuals and schematics from AM directly and you might want to start there. See link:

https://www.astonmartintechinfo.com/login.aspx

Old 04-26-2016, 01:08 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough

Thanks 09DBS, but before you pay for a subscription check this out, I googled "Aston Martin Dealer Communication Body System" and this is what I found... (Item 1) appears to be located under the center console. For some reason this drawing is missing the circle and line leading to the illustration of this particular component which looks like a dark rectangle superimposed over the center of the left windshield pillar but it's clear enough. I'll try to access it and post an update as soon as time allows...

Last edited by drivergmx; 04-26-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM
So I finally got around to removing the Airbag Sensor and will ship it for repair tomorrow. I couldn't find any illustrations for the center console in the DBS DCS online. For some reason my search came up as bad request. So I searched the DB9 DCS which shares the same parts. This was helpful in identifying where the hardware is located.

There she is! I'm convinced the car was built around this unit.

And here is another view with the unit extracted. I tried to disturb as little as possible. But as you can see it is an interference fit.

Here is the actual unit. I found a company in Duluth, Geoigia by the name of MAS electronics repair who claims to have a quick turn around. Their website is MASrepair.com

Last edited by drivergmx; 05-01-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on your recent purchase, beautiful car and Welcome to the club

Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Thank you sir! And to all you fine Aston Martin enthusiasts, I salute you.

Yes, I regret not coming back here sooner since I ended up trading the 2005 DB9 manual I purchased just over two years ago at Beverly Hills Porsche for this DBS. Now Smith Volvo has it up for sale for less than I paid for it back in February of 2014. And that was before I added the clear LED tail lights, The Sport Pack Rims, 5 bar polished grille, bespoke stainless instrument *****. The ski slope and door caps were just laminated in high gloss black. Looks great! I also replaced the plugs, coils, manifold gaskets, filters. Plus full service. After all that I only drove it a total of 2,000 miles in two years. I was considering an "X- pipe" High flow filters and and ECU tune when this DBS came on the market.

In retrospect I realize now that I should have offered it up here first. But if any of you are in the market for a fantastic DB9 Manual in Skye Gray and Obsidian Black. Smith in San Los Obispo, CA is selling her for a bargain.

This 2005 Aston Martin DB9 Manual will always be my first. Long may you run!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:40 AM
I received the Airbag sensor via priority mail from MASrepair.com on Saturday. Since this is a static sensitive unit I used the battery disconnect switch to remove power. Next, using a test light I verified no power was available at the blue and orange connectors. Reinstalled the unit, placed the key into the ignition to restore power and after the initial self test the airbag warning light extinguished. Repair confirmation successful. Total cost $85.00 USD including shipping. Not bad considering Aston Martin of Summit, NJ quoted me $1,500.00 USD for the part off the shelf plus installation and programing. The car is now ready for PA State Inspection.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:57 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
That's a great feeling to be able to fix stuff yourself and with crazy saving. Excellent job, hope you enjoy your summer as much as I will

Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new car, welcome, and thanks for the great pics and info!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM
exoticschaser is on a distinguished road
Stupid question if you don't mind lol does the arm rest just lift up? or any special tricks to remove it?

Originally Posted by drivergmx
So I finally got around to removing the Airbag Sensor and will ship it for repair tomorrow. I couldn't find any illustrations for the center console in the DBS DCS online. For some reason my search came up as bad request. So I searched the DB9 DCS which shares the same parts. This was helpful in identifying where the hardware is located.

There she is! I'm convinced the car was built around this unit.

And here is another view with the unit extracted. I tried to disturb as little as possible. But as you can see it is an interference fit.

Here is the actual unit. I found a company in Duluth, Geoigia by the name of MAS electronics repair who claims to have a quick turn around. Their website is MASrepair.com

Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 AM
Hi exoticschaser,

If you look at the exploded illustration there are four t25 screws that hold it down. These screws are hidden under trim which require trim removal tools to access. But there are also connectors for the power point plug, cell phone/USB port and accessory jack that need to be disconnected. These components are held in place by a metal faceplate and secured by four miniature Philips head screws. Since these are hand built you may find several shim washers and a forward mounting flange underneath which spring out and have to be taped or tack glued back into place for re assembly... with the armrest off you can see the Airbag Sensor but in order to remove it you have to take out the insulation blanket and loosen the trim held in place with four Philips screws. You must also remove two Philips screws securing the center console and lift it up, back, disconnect the power port plug, trunk release switch and door lock switch connectors. This allows you to turn it 90 degrees placing it out of the way. Note: Be careful not to nick the leather trim or scratch the lower portion of the center stack when handling the center console. I highly recommend taping off everything in advance to avoid damage. Next remove the 10mm mounting hardware consisting of two bolts on the passenger side and two nuts on the drivers side. There is a harness running above the nuts and the orange connector partially covers the forward bolt. I managed to partially remove the orange connector and get on this bolt with a 10mm universal socket. With the mounting hardware removed and the trim pulled back there should be enough clearance to get the the blue and orange connectors off and lift the unit out. Installation is reverse order. In the end, there is nothing wrong with paying someone else handsomely to avoid cursing, spitting and to throw tools for you. Just some options to consider...

Last edited by drivergmx; 05-11-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Manuel Neves is an unknown quantity at this point
how long?

Hello drivergmx,

I realize this was done a long time ago but do you recall how long it took you to take out and put back the airbag sensor?
Wanted to compare with what Aston is billing in terms of hours...
Thanks!