Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM Ram Air..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Adrian928 is on a distinguished road
AM Ram Air..?

New member here. My long time DD has been my beautiful Gerta, a 1985 Porsche 928S. She has been good to me these last 30 yrs. All the feelers are out for a low-mileage '07 - '10 V8 Vantage.
I'm planning on uncorking, 200 cell cats, ECU, K&N, & perhaps some tastefully placed BP graphics...I still have some boy racer in my DNA.
My question is; Gerta has the factory 928S ram air. I know it contributes nicely to stuffing fresh cold air in. Disable the system and performance drops noticeably.Has anyone tried replacing the AM air boxes with a scoop and necessary duct work to force outside air into the MFS?
Thanks & thanks for having me.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Adrian928
New member here. My long time DD has been my beautiful Gerta, a 1985 Porsche 928S. She has been good to me these last 30 yrs. All the feelers are out for a low-mileage '07 - '10 V8 Vantage.
I'm planning on uncorking, 200 cell cats, ECU, K&N, & perhaps some tastefully placed BP graphics...I still have some boy racer in my DNA.
My question is; Gerta has the factory 928S ram air. I know it contributes nicely to stuffing fresh cold air in. Disable the system and performance drops noticeably.Has anyone tried replacing the AM air boxes with a scoop and necessary duct work to force outside air into the MFS?
Thanks & thanks for having me.
If you look at the air intake system on the Vantage, it actually has a scoop in behind the grill, a snorkel if you will that sticks up and is siamesed to feed air to both air boxes.

What will yield results over and above a performance filter is the replacement of the air boxes with a naked cone filter, like on the GT4 Race cars. The downside is that the air filter/box/MAF location is in the fender in front of the wheel, so there is some possibility of water ingress, although pretty unlikely, given the fact that there's an undertray below it.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The intake system on an Aston starts in the grille of the car. The airboxes are at the front of the car, below the headlights. The intake filters are inside of the airboxes, and each airbox has a MAF sensor immediately after it. The ducts from the airboxes join together in a single tube in front of the throttle body, which is bolted directly onto the intake manifold.

If you want to change this setup, you have to re-plumb all of that, which isn't a simple thing to do considering the twin-MAF setup. As it is, it's already something of a ram air setup, but not a direct one.

I've got a video that overviews the intake system that I'm finishing up, it'll be on YouTube in the next day or two.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:21 PM
sanengo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by telum01
The intake system on an Aston starts in the grille of the car. The airboxes are at the front of the car, below the headlights. The intake filters are inside of the airboxes, and each airbox has a MAF sensor immediately after it. The ducts from the airboxes join together in a single tube in front of the throttle body, which is bolted directly onto the intake manifold.

If you want to change this setup, you have to re-plumb all of that, which isn't a simple thing to do considering the twin-MAF setup. As it is, it's already something of a ram air setup, but not a direct one.

I've got a video that overviews the intake system that I'm finishing up, it'll be on YouTube in the next day or two.
Looking forward to this!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Talking AM Ram Air redux

Thank you all for the valuable input. I'll watch for the vid and pull-up an intake diagram (which I should have done already). I'll learn. Mod's on the land shark are just so easy to pick-up an extra 30 hp. test tubes, remove secondary mufflers, DIY ECU upgrade, MB A/T vacuum adjust to "slam-box" & 80mm MAF.
I hope I don't bore anyone with newbie questions.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:03 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
30 hp is easy - it's just exhaust and tune. Downside is there aren't many (or any?) free-hp mods on these cars. Welcome to the forum, tons of information on here so enjoy

Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
My '07 V8 Vantage has Velocity AP headers, RSC 200-cell cats, RSC Supersport muffler, K&N filters, Velocity AP ECU tune, and Velocity AP lightweight flywheel with twin disc clutch. I think that's about $12,000 in parts alone. Adds about 40 hp.

But damn, it goes like stink And sounds like Satan's own chariot

Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Cool

Thank you once again. I will most likely have more newbie inquiries...and I'll keep all updated during the search...PPI...long trip to the bank...and my shake-down blast to the Maine house.
Cheers'

Old 11-03-2016, 05:33 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
What will yield results over and above a performance filter is the replacement of the air boxes with a naked cone filter, like on the GT4 Race cars. The downside is that the air filter/box/MAF location is in the fender in front of the wheel, so there is some possibility of water ingress, although pretty unlikely, given the fact that there's an undertray below it.
Stuart - is the MAF integral to the air box or contained in a tube after the box on the street cars? We've not pulled mine apart yet, but are looking at doing this. Is it possible to set one up with the existing parts minus the box? I understand we will have to fabricate whatever to stabilize the filters, but can the existing electronics be used?

x-chr

Old 11-03-2016, 05:50 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Found it - Big Thanks

Originally Posted by J doubleU
Remove the airbox assembly and mount some open filters directly to the intake tube.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eply&p=4503234

Old 11-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by era2076
Stuart - is the MAF integral to the air box or contained in a tube after the box on the street cars? We've not pulled mine apart yet, but are looking at doing this. Is it possible to set one up with the existing parts minus the box? I understand we will have to fabricate whatever to stabilize the filters, but can the existing electronics be used?

x-chr
Sorry a little slow the last week due to SEMA. With the right size piece of aluminum tubing inside as a stabilizer, some tbolt clamps and a silicone coupler you should be able to run a cone filter on the end.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
A joint venture?

Gentlemen, May I propose a joint effort to help us achieve a bunch of small improvements to our V8Vantages:

1. Simplicity/weight reduction. 6' less molded tubing, elimination of 2 thick walled plastic boxes and a bunch of fasteners.

2. Another mechanical sound to add to our exhaust burbles.

3. A shorter intake tract=quicker throttle response...but just a smidge.

4. Easier servicing than OE.

5. Availability of less expensive generic service elements than from our AM dealers.

Telum is making a "how to service" video. He is really good at it. He can make an entertaining technical speech, while, at the same time, maneuvering a camera to illustrate his points, then adds a title page, credits, etc. and mounts it on UTube. And presto there it is on my laptop! (Easy to write, not so easy to do.)

How about you, Stuart, can you create a kit with all the components we need to implement this modification as you describe above.

Then you both retail the kit/video.

What say the two of you?

Last edited by flinder; 11-08-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added a word, is, to make a sentence more clear,
Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flinder
Gentlemen, May I propose a joint effort to help us achieve a bunch of small improvements to our V8Vantages:

1. Simplicity/weight reduction. 6' less molded tubing, elimination of 2 thick walled plastic boxes and a bunch of fasteners.

5. Availability of less expensive generic service elements than from our AM dealers.

Telum is making a "how to service" video. He is really good at it. He can make an entertaining technical speech, while, at the same time, maneuvering a camera to illustrate his points, then adds a title page, credits, etc. and mounts it on UTube. And presto there it on my laptop! (Easy to write, not so easy to do.)

How about you, Stuart, can you create a kit with all the components we need to implement this modification as you describe above.

What say the two of you?
Something to keep in mind is that the intake ducting starts in the grille, so you're getting a lot of cold intake air at speed. It's hard to reflect that on a dyno. I'd assume that drawing air from inside the engine bay using a short-tract system is going to result in higher intake air temps, which may negate any gains you'd get (aside from much easier maintenance). It'd definitely be a cool project, just food for thought!

Here's an overview of the intake system showing pretty much everything on the V8V:

Last edited by Redpants; 11-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by flinder

Telum is making a "how to service" video. He is really good at it. He can make an entertaining technical speech, while, at the same time, maneuvering a camera to illustrate his points, then adds a title page, credits, etc. and mounts it on UTube. And presto there it is on my laptop! (Easy to write, not so easy to do.)

What say the two of you?
Hi Rick,

We pretty much have this done on the turbo car, just need to pattern the parts.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-09-2016, 07:04 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Head starts are great.

Stuart, Happy to hear about your head start on the induction system improvements being proposed. Let's hear it for knowing what to do and how to do it!

All us snow belt people are making ready to take our cars off the road for the winter. I would love to make this upgrade while I am doing my annual service and have it up on jack stands...possible?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AM Ram Air..?