6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Removal of Side Repeaters (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/390032-removal-side-repeaters.html)

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 08:51 AM

Removal of Side Repeaters

Hi All-

I ordered a pair of smoked side repeaters. While I await their arrival, I'm wondering how to remove them. I hope this isn't another long process of removing inner fenders simply to change a bulb.

As usual, all input will be greatly appreciated.

TAC

telum01 05-06-2016 08:54 AM

Yep, you have to pull back the fender liners. But they're pretty easy to get to, not much in the way. You can see them in my door strut video on YouTube. I show where they are because I snapped one clean off while changing my door struts hahahaha

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4512210)
Yep, you have to pull back the fender liners. But they're pretty easy to get to, not much in the way. You can see them in my door strut video on YouTube. I show where they are because I snapped one clean off while changing my door struts hahahaha

Darn, darn, darn!! I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. I don't have a lift, nor do I have a jack and stands.

Actually, it was your car that finally "drove" me over the "edge". I got light bulb envy when I saw your smoked repeaters. :D

randyb 05-06-2016 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by terminal_ac (Post 4512208)
Hi All-

I ordered a pair of smoked side repeaters. While I await their arrival, I'm wondering how to remove them. I hope this isn't another long process of removing inner fenders simply to change a bulb.

As usual, all input will be greatly appreciated.

TAC

Not to hijack the thread, but where did you get them?

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by randyb (Post 4512215)
Not to hijack the thread, but where did you get them?

ebay. search terms: "side repeaters aston martin"

randyb 05-06-2016 09:26 AM

Thanks!

karlfranz 05-06-2016 09:27 AM

You don't need a lift to change them. Just turn the wheel fully in the direction of the side you want to gain access to so there is a bigger gap at the rear of the wheel well. Removing some of the bolts along the trailing edge of the wheel well liner should give you enough access to move it out of the way and stick your hand in. A quarter turn removes the bulb holder from the back of the lens. The lens comes off from the outside with one quarter turn as well.

telum01 05-06-2016 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by terminal_ac (Post 4512211)
Actually, it was your car that finally "drove" me over the "edge". I got light bulb envy when I saw your smoked repeaters. :D

Ahh sorry sorry, sometimes I'm a bad influence :D

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 4512226)
You don't need a lift to change them. Just turn the wheel fully in the direction of the side you want to gain access to so there is a bigger gap at the rear of the wheel well. Removing some of the bolts along the trailing edge of the wheel well liner should give you enough access to move it out of the way and stick your hand in. A quarter turn removes the bulb holder from the back of the lens. The lens comes off from the outside with one quarter turn as well.

What KF said! There's lots of space in there so as long as you can get your hand between the liner and the fender itself, you shouldn't have a problem.

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 4512226)

Yup, this was going to be my first technique! :D

mkzhang 05-06-2016 12:46 PM

Ah man I still have my jack and jack stands back at my parent's place in NJ :D

dsvantage 05-06-2016 01:28 PM

Does anyone have a source for the clear OEM ones? I'd actually like to remove my smoked units and replace them with stock.

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dsvantage (Post 4512352)
Does anyone have a source for the clear OEM ones? I'd actually like to remove my smoked units and replace them with stock.

How ironic, but astonmartinbits has them.

karlfranz 05-06-2016 03:44 PM

You can also get them through any Ford parts dealer. They are the same ones used on the Ford Transit.

EZ Cookin 05-06-2016 10:00 PM

That's good to know about the ones from Ford. I ordered some on eBay a while back but they did not even get close to fitting. I returned them and never received a refund.

terminal_ac 05-06-2016 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Cookin (Post 4512530)
That's good to know about the ones from Ford. I ordered some on eBay a while back but they did not even get close to fitting. I returned them and never received a refund.

Might I ask where you ordered them from?