Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V Roadster aftermarket backup camera install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 AM
cpaulPHL is on a distinguished road
V8V Roadster aftermarket backup camera install

Following the threads on here and in the FAQ, I bought the backup camera kit from VolvoTech.eu (absolutely fantastic experience and super-nice and responsive owner btw)

Wanting to do this slowly and methodically, I spent last weekend carefully removing covers and panels to make sure I knew where best to mount and thread the wiring. FYI I am NOT planning on the much more complicated front-camera install right now.

My question is (for others who have done this) best mounting point for the backup camera. The thread shows install procedure for a DB9 which allows the camera hole to be drilled in the panel just off-center of the license.

On my V8V, the only choice appears to be drilling a hole through the painted bumper cover panel immediately in the center of the license plate. The panels on either side (where the license bulbs are housed) are not horizontal, so I would need to fabricate a mount if I chose to install there.

Thanks in advance for those who have done this before and can best advise. Also, best (safest) way to drill the hole cleanly. It appears that the Aston factory backup kit is installed in perfect center ...

PS: I will post photos after I'm done to help others - perhaps I will add them to the FAQ thread. The location of the Nav unit is different in the Vantage Roadster (it's in the center under the tourneau cover, but luckily there is just enough room to the side for the backup module.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8931.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	448231  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM

To further expand on my question ... I can either:
- drill a hole directly in the center of the rear bumper above the license plate OR
- build a mounting plate and install the camera slightly off-center (7.5cm / 3.5”)

If I install in the center, I will need to use the adhesive strip to secure the camera, as I’m unable to access the bumper to bolt down without completely taking the bumper off (something I don’t want to do).

If I install off-center, I don’t have to drill a hole, and I can secure the camera with a bolt to the mounting plate.

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance… I’ve included a photo of the underside of the bumper above the license plate.
- Paul

Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Just curious, what year is the V8V? I don't have experience with this, but if I could avoid drilling a hole, that would be my way to go. This is something I hope to add to my DB9 when I get my hands on it.

Regards

Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM
It's a 2007. In the end, I've come to the same conclusion - I'm going to fashion my own mounting bracket to avoid altering the vehicle.

Given the wide angle of the lens and the large number of off-center aftermarket backup cameras that fit in license bulb sockets, so I can't imagine it is a big deal.

Originally Posted by W126C
Just curious, what year is the V8V? I don't have experience with this, but if I could avoid drilling a hole, that would be my way to go. This is something I hope to add to my DB9 when I get my hands on it.

Regards

Old 05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
In the end, I decided to leave my car unmodified and not drill holes, instead fashioning a mount from 22 gauge steel. It fits perfectly just to the left of the right license plate bulb and is held in place snugly by the bumper and license bulb assembly above.

Again, I will add details to the FAQ thread once I'm done - I've been taking detailed photos along the way for my 2007 V8 Vantage. There are a few notable differences from the DB9.