Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Jet Seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Jeff Young is on a distinguished road
Jet Seal

So I've got a 2012 V12, one of the "final 40" with the matte black paint. While I've come to like the look, the durability of this stuff is crap. Scratches too easy. I daily drive the Aston (10,000 miles last year) and it's taken a beating. Which is ok, except when your fingernails scratch the paint on the door handle.

I looked around for a sealer and found Jet Seal by Chemical Guys for matte finishes. Finally got a clear weekend to give it a shot.

Put it on, waited the 30 minutes and tried ot get it off...and failed at doing so in many places. Stuff just will not hand buff off.

Thoughts? Talk to a professional detailer?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Call the guys at Chemical Guys. I find they are great at helping me with their products.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:03 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If it dried in some areas before you were able to remove it, I would reapply a small amount and then wipe it off while it's still wet.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:23 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jeff Young
So I've got a 2012 V12, one of the "final 40" with the matte black paint. While I've come to like the look, the durability of this stuff is crap. Scratches too easy. I daily drive the Aston (10,000 miles last year) and it's taken a beating. Which is ok, except when your fingernails scratch the paint on the door handle.

I looked around for a sealer and found Jet Seal by Chemical Guys for matte finishes. Finally got a clear weekend to give it a shot.

Put it on, waited the 30 minutes and tried ot get it off...and failed at doing so in many places. Stuff just will not hand buff off.

Thoughts? Talk to a professional detailer?
Jeff,
Most professional detailers have not ever worked on a Matte finish. I have done 50 or so paint corrections to high end cars, but not once even washed a matte one.

From reading up on Jet Seal Matte --- many people have had your same issue with it and there at least wasn't someone saying a fix to it. Some say its awesome. The Matte Detailer spray from chemical guys seems to work the best for people, so that might be an option to spray on and see if it takes off what is left on your paint.

Attached is an article you might find a good read. However, ALWAYS try products on the right rear lower valance and see how they work out. If you or the products don't work right, or not as advertised, the spot is the least conspicuous on the car.

From what I have read, I would try an 30% IPA to DI water 70% and put on microfiber cloth and wipe the product and see if that takes it off. From the DI article attached, Ammonia free window cleaner seems to be a best solution also. Then only under shade and 70 or so temps, lightly apply JetSeal and immediately take off and see what happens. If it applies nicely, maybe add a few minutes only and see how that does. It appears to vary, and you could apply a few applications in this manner to provide the protection you need.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/proper-matte-care-how-to-care-for-matte-finishes/

You also could email Larry@ammonyc.com and personally ask him what your best options might be. He WILL know and advise properly.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't respond sooner, I try and help the AM guys out with detailing issues and ideas as much as possible. I am in Afghanistan so was out of contact for a few weeks when you wrote this.

SheriffDep

Last edited by telum01; 06-13-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Jeff Young is on a distinguished road
thanks Sheriff, and no worries -- be safe overseas.

I've talked to Chemical Guys (good folks) and they basically said what you said. I've run out of time to deal with this one myself so it is with a high end detailer here in Raleigh.

We'lll see how this turns out and many thanks for the help.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Aston22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Xpel makes a paint protection film in matte that works quite well. That would help with the scratches. I have have a couple matte vehicles now and I'm pretty disappointed Niall automakers who have done a matte paint because they have done poor jobs on them.