Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

High mileage vantage - is this a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
thorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
High mileage vantage - is this a bad idea?

Hey guys, figured this is as good a place to ask as any. I've stumbled across a high mileage v8 Vantage and im quite intrigued. Ill get right into the info.

06 V8 Vantage
89,000 miles
Larini Exhaust
Clutch & Flywheel recently done
Tires and brakes recently done
No accidents

I can get it for quite a good price. If i buy it i plan to have a full PPI done by an Aston dealer, and obviously check its history to the best of my ability.

I guess my question is; is this a bad idea? From what i can tell the higher-mileage cars seem to be relatively worry-free, or are there a bunch of horror stories that i've missed? For reference i would be buying it for around 30k.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I think the price is a bit high? is it pounds you refer to?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Sorry I didn't specify, but no ~30k USD.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Properly taken care of those miles should be no big deal. Just prepare with the usual wear and tear items for any cars at those miles but at AM prices.

At that end of the market the correlation between price and miles are rather asymmetrical. Say a 90k mile car is 30k, for 40k you can get a 30k mile example, or a 50k mile one for 35k etc.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
the mileage wouldn't necessarily be the overall concern. it would be more mileage:appropriate market value - knowing that Astons fall into a category similar to Ferraris in respect to mileage. based on prices for 40-50k mile cars and the value difference compared to low-mileage cars, i would say $30k might be in the high side also. you're approaching 'wear-n-tear' type mileage and service/parts will be expensive, no matter what wears out. that formula will hit the value of the car in question rather hard, imo. just my .02

Old 07-05-2016, 02:46 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I'm a bit surprised that some feel that $30k is high even for that mileage. I've not seen a Vantage at that price for any mileage.

In general, I think you'd mostly run into general wear issues like paint chipping, leather wear and shrinkage, suspension bushing wear, wheel bearings, GPS screen mechanism... Nothing unusual for a higher mileage vehicle. I'll give you the same old warning that you should keep in mind that a car that is cheap to purchase is still an Aston Martin when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:34 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Nobody here knows. I've never heard of more than a few with that high of mileage. Its a guess. I can tell you that any car approaching 100k miles may have ancillary items begin to fail. Nothing on an AM is cheap to replace. But paying just $30k, you have a lot of dough saved for repairs.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Hmm okay thanks for the input. Seems like there is no 100% answer, i suppose the individual condition of each high mile car will probably be the deciding factor?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
I personally wouldn't purchase a Toyota with 89,000 miles, yet alone an Aston Vantage.
IMO it is likely a tired old car.
Spend 55K for a 30,000 mile vehicle....you won't regret this approach.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:23 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by larryg
I personally wouldn't purchase a Toyota with 89,000 miles, yet alone an Aston Vantage.
IMO it is likely a tired old car.
Spend 55K for a 30,000 mile vehicle....you won't regret this approach.

A 06-07 can be had with less than 50k miles for in the low to mid 40's now. I would spring the extra 15k to grab one of those. If anything major needed to be done on the 89k miles one, you could quickly find yourself spending more than that initial 15k. But either way your taking a chance, and the likely hood of re-selling a 90k mile one is slim, or trade it in and take a beating. I bet a AM dealer would give you no more than 20k for it. Might be wrong but no dealer will likely take a chance on it themselves.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I have 90k miles and will be posting an update shortly. When high miles, it is really dependant on the type of miles, care and maintenance. Options seem to play a little more of a role at high miles; unique colors, iPod connectivity, etc. Was the car tracked ? Can you meet the owner, see his other cars, his garage, etc.? I drive a bit differently than most enthusiasts, as i have had my share of seat time on the track where it is safe(r). I have to replace tires every 15k to 20k miles and am on original clutch. BTW, book values banks use give an 07 with high milage quite a bit more than $30k.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
A 06-07 can be had with less than 50k miles for in the low to mid 40's now. I would spring the extra 15k to grab one of those. If anything major needed to be done on the 89k miles one, you could quickly find yourself spending more than that initial 15k. But either way your taking a chance, and the likely hood of re-selling a 90k mile one is slim, or trade it in and take a beating. I bet a AM dealer would give you no more than 20k for it. Might be wrong but no dealer will likely take a chance on it themselves.
Just to correct myself--- I saw a 07 V8Vantage on auto trader with I think 30k miles for 40k dollars. Looked decent just not what I am wanting. So 10k more gets you 50+ thousand less miles.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:54 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Price a set of brake pads and rotors and you will see why people are recommending the lower mileage alternatives for not much more. Once cars get to that 100k mile mark, suspensions need refreshing and gasket/seals start to leak.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Go lower mileage, there's no such thing as a cheap used Aston... You are going to pay either way, so you might as well buy a MUCH nicer one for a little bit more

Old 07-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. Will be taking your advice and looking for a lower mile one as that seems to be a consensus, and you guys definitely know better than i do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High mileage vantage - is this a bad idea?