Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Factory Alcantara wheel vs. leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Factory Alcantara wheel vs. leather

My 2011 V8VS has the factory black Alcantara steering wheel, and I feel like I should love it, but I just don't. I've cleaned it, properly, and it's fluffy and new looking and feeling, but I just think I prefer a leather wheel for greater grip. Am I nuts?
CATTMAN

Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Had two vantages with leather now one alcantera - I agree 200%

Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm I'll have to check out your steering wheel one of these days, I was so spoiled with my custom Alcantara on the previous car I can't wait to get it done to the Vantage. Just not a big fan of leather wheels anymore.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:44 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Hmmm I'll have to check out your steering wheel one of these days, I was so spoiled with my custom Alcantara on the previous car I can't wait to get it done to the Vantage. Just not a big fan of leather wheels anymore.

Sounds like a great time for a trade guys, just a thought

Old 08-06-2016, 07:02 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
No, you're quite sane. Depending on the day, I am back and forth on this question. When my hands are sweaty I prefer the alcantara wheel, but on some days I miss the feel of the leather wheel I had on my previous V8V. Also, it might seem counterintuitive, but I think the alcantara is easier to maintain in the long run.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:38 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Perhaps I'm old fashioned but I am not a fan of Alcantera or carbon fiber.
No Alcantera in any of my cars!

Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cattman
My 2011 V8VS has the factory black Alcantara steering wheel, and I feel like I should love it, but I just don't. I've cleaned it, properly, and it's fluffy and new looking and feeling, but I just think I prefer a leather wheel for greater grip. Am I nuts?
CATTMAN
I go back and forth too. So I had my wheel in the db9 wrapped in smooth leather and alcantara. Might seem silly but it really scratches the itch for me. I don't like perforated leather on a steering wheel so the smooth leather and additional thickness added to the wheel combined with alcantara is really really nice.

Just a thought for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20160806_174641.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	705.4 KB
ID:	455559

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20160806_174726.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	642.7 KB
ID:	455560

Old 08-06-2016, 05:14 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Very unique, and looks good too.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by speedracer800
I go back and forth too. So I had my wheel in the db9 wrapped in smooth leather and alcantara. Might seem silly but it really scratches the itch for me. I don't like perforated leather on a steering wheel so the smooth leather and additional thickness added to the wheel combined with alcantara is really really nice.

Just a thought for you.

Attachment 455559

Attachment 455560
I had the steering wheel in my 2007 redone in alcantara and merlot stiching. It was wonderful. I wish my 2016 Gt had a wheel with alcantara.
Ron

Old 08-06-2016, 06:00 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
DCT Motorsports did the work for me. Matched the leather and stitching spot on with the rest of the car and I think it was $600ish..? Also a forum sponsor.. Great guy!

Old 08-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Very nice touch that mix !