Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Diminished Value Claims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 PM
sf911c2 has a spectacular aura aboutsf911c2 has a spectacular aura about
No but I used http://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html

I've been through two accidents with my previous M3's and won diminished value awards both times. I live in CA. The insurance company low balled me and only offered about 25% of what I got by going to small claims court ~$5k. This guy will give you a wholesale and retail DM via mail. He outlines the DM algorithm used. I used this for 1 of my estimates for the judge and he was ok with it. I also had a dealer BMW dealer estimate. Don't go to CarMax etc...

The insurance co. must make you whole by law. It's a bit of work, file forms, got to court etc..but worth it. The insurance co don't have much of a leg to stand on and judges are pretty sympatric to your situation so will give you top $.

Good luck. Hope this helps...

Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 PM
courtier is on a distinguished road
Got my baby back on Friday Dec. 23. Including the supplemental damage, the total bill came out to $12k. I called the other driver's insurance company to inquire about a DV claim. I literally had to explain what DV is to the agent. (You can't make this up...) And so begins the upward fight to be made whole. :-(

Thanks for the link, sf911c2. I'll check them out, too. I have a feeling I'm going to be following in Telum's shoes and needing a lot of documentation.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Curly Sue is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by courtier
I'm curious if anyone who has been through a diminished value claim has used The Saint Lucie Appraisal Company? They seem to have a presence in all 50 states and their website *seems* pretty legit. But I've never been through this and I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for/against any particular independent appraisers to help in building the documentation necessary to fight the insurance company's inevitable lowball offer (formula 17c)?
St Lucie Appraisal is the company that calls Porsche dealers in your area and obtains the expert opinions of six sales managers as a basis for their diminished value report. To my knowledge nobody else goes to these lengths to arrive at real world DV amounts. The rest of the independent appraisers use formulas, some of them refer to them as algorithms, they are supposedly super secret proprietary methods but all just a version of Rule 17C. Then there are those appraisers who just produce a figure out of thin air based on their years of experience. Insurance companies know the real deal from a BS appraisal and will treat you accordingly.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:32 PM
courtier is on a distinguished road
UPDATE: I received my diminished value report back from St. Lucie. I have to say pretty thorough. As Curly_Sue mentioned, it includes quotes back from six Aston Martin dealerships comparing my car to a hypothetical equivalent car with an untarnished history. Lowest hit = 12.50% and highest = 17.86%. I just submitted the report to the other guy's insurance company. We'll see what they have to say...