Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Will modern AM value ever appreciate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:57 PM
911ist is on a distinguished road
Will modern AM value ever appreciate?

Curious on what current AM owners think about the future values of these cars. I know we should be buying the car for today's enjoyment and not for resale value but wouldn't it be nice if we see the same type of valuation Porsche's get? Value for air cooled Porsches have gone through the roof but even brand new models like the GT4 and the RS's are being traded at msrp or above for the second hand market. Why can't AM?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I dont think modern AM will ever appreciate.

Porsche is more of a recent phenomenon I think. 996 depreciation used to the norm for them.

AM suffers from the maserati syndrome. Too exclusive (at least not a well known / appreciated brand), perceived lack of reliability, and niche target audience. Porsche also have a more main stream audience.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:40 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I'm not so sure.
1960s and 70s American muscle cars were dismissed, derided, and generally disregarded for years. Many of them are now worth tens to hundreds of thousands.
Even though Bloxham and Gaydon cars were made in larger quantities, they're still tiny numbers, and many have fallen into the hands of those who regard them largely as disposables. That will decrease their numbers even further.
Anything that combines intrinsic worth and rarity is likely to appreciate if one waits long enough. Of course, the conflict is that those who really appreciate Astons want to drive the hell out of them.
I didn't buy mine as an investment, but I haven't given up hope that it may hold value for my children at some point.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:57 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The top of the range models have a chance in the not too distant future, the base/entry models, not so much (at least not for another 20 years).

So...Vanquish Mk I/II, DBS, V12 Vantage for regular production models plus all of the special editions.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Nobody should hold their breath that the Aston they own will go up in value for the next couple of decades. They will continue to depreciate at sickening rates until they are 15-20 years old and finally stabilize at a price your average recent college graduate could afford if they want to take a chance. Unless you plan to sell in the next few years you may as well drive your car rather than continue to put 1,000 miles per year on it.

Last edited by deckman; 10-06-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
My bet, give it a few years and all of the hype over certain porsches and some of the more recent manual ferraris will die down. Current Astons might not be going up right now but maybe its a good time to get in...eventually people will realize what they're missing

Old 10-06-2016, 11:59 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
For what is worth, in my humble opinion manual transmission Astons will go up in value at some point, not sure how long it will be. Most car makers going auto trans, in 5 years time , manual trans will be classic.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:01 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Originally Posted by smogclinic
For what is worth, in my humble opinion manual transmission Astons will go up in value at some point, not sure how long it will be. Most car makers going auto trans, in 5 years time , manual trans will be classic.
+1 the manual is becoming a rarity and will be valued in the future

Think also about who is buying and how the "wave" is moving through the older cars to the newer cars as the people with the disposable income move from baby boomers (who like 60's and 70's cars because that is what they yearned for in their youth) to gen X and soon gen Y. The 2000 onward Astons will gain a following just as the DB 5 & 6 and the 70's Vantages and Zagatos have.

But don't hold your breath - drive them, maintain them and if you are still part of the club when they do go up that will be a double payoff

Graze

Old 10-07-2016, 08:09 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
History may be a helpful tool. An old car that closest mirrors the V8V could possibly lend insight.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I have a 1967 Pontiac GTO. They made well over 70,000 of them in that one year alone. In 1967 the sticker price was about $4300. In 1981 it was worth maybe $500 if you could even manage to sell it at all. Nobody wanted one, period. Now in 2016 it's worth over $50k.

It's all a matter of time and timing. Buy what you like, take care of it, and you'll probably be OK.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by smogclinic
I agree, a big +1. I think having the last of a certain model range like the 2016 Vantage GT I just purchased with a manual transmission,and the last of the Aston Martin the V 8's. If stored correctly or taken care of correctly down the road 5 or 10 years will appreciate in value. Especially if the owner has Paper work with the car, like original owner window sticker service records etc.
Ron

Old 10-07-2016, 06:10 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
It is no surprise that certain vehicles have appreciated.
1960s and early 1970s 12 cylinder Ferraris have soared in recent years.
Extremely low production numbers, generally stunning, etc.
Some modern cars have also significantly increased in value.
Ford GT 40s, Enzo Ferraris, BMW Z8s, etc.
Will the Vantage prove to be a good investment? They are certainly beautiful and essentially hand built but there maybe too many of them.
Anyone know the production figures for the Vantage?

Last edited by larryg; 10-07-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 PM
911ist is on a distinguished road
There are certainly a lot more air cooled 911 than any models of AM and all of them have seen their value at least doubling in the past 10 years. I am not complaining as my 993 is a great beneficiary of the spike but personally, I think all VH AM models are just as special; it's handmade, luxurious and analog which gives it so much more character especially in manual form.

I don't think any AM's value will be comparable to the Z8, Enzo, CGT, etc. but it should hold value better than it currently is...

Old 10-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larryg
It is no surprise that certain vehicles have appreciated.
1960s and early 1970s 12 cylinder Ferraris have soared in recent years.
Extremely low production numbers, generally stunning, etc.
Some modern cars have also significantly increased in value.
Ford GT 40s, Enzo Ferraris, BMW Z8s, etc.
Will the Vantage prove to be a good investment? They are certainly beautiful and essentially hand built but there maybe too many of them.
Anyone know the production figures for the Vantage?
I know that only 100 2016 GTS Vantages were produced. I would suspect that not a lot more than 100 2016 Vantage GT's were produced as well. As for the total Vanatge production from 2006-2015, I don't know. I would be shocked if it was more than 500 a year.
Ron

Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
As for the total Vanatge production from 2006-2015, I don't know. I would be shocked if it was more than 500 a year.
Ron
It was a couple thousand per year. The 10,000th V8V was delivered in the first half of 2008.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will modern AM value ever appreciate?