Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

06 Vantage purchased in Portland

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
06 Vantage purchased in Portland

Hi - My name is Cliff. I recently purchased a silver 2006 Vantage in Portland Oregon. It is a beautiful car with 18K miles - purchase price $47.5.

I am very impressed with this site. I was wondering what I might find and there are some serious enthusiast here willing to share tech - very nice to see.

I am a long time member (researcher-LOL!) at Corner-Carvers and SVT Performance.

Some pictures of my other cars

2002 ERA FIA - I have been working on this for several years - perhaps 2 years away. It is a track car and I we are trying to build to original weight. This is a lot of work because of the heavier frame and glass body. Engine is aluminum DART 331, mag cased ASTRO T5, all aluminum IRS with Quaife LSD. We are in the middle of fitting the Webers and linkage. The Minilites get swapped for magnesium Watanabe Type R. We are trying to hit curb weight of 2150 lb. Engine made 474 @ 7000. 408 ft lb between 5150 and 6150. Shift light set at 7100.

Next up is my 03 Cobra purchased new in Nov of 2003. We are in our 4th year of converting to a track car and are still developing it. It is very fast for what it is. We built most of the aero and are working on full sheeting the bottom and rear diffuser. Most of our development is aero, suspension, & chassis stiffening. Cooling is fully boxed. We are still running stock power except for free flow exhaust and flash tune.The car continues to get faster. We drove it in the rain last weekend. We usually run it on R7 slicks. Purely brute force - We know longer run it on the street

Portland International - Turn 10

Now for the Vantage

Esthetics -

Push the tires out
Red calipers to black
All grills re-sprayed black
Spay on rear fender spats - black
Comp Grill - pulled the grill as soon as I got it home

Possible rear spoiler -
Possible lower - concerned about roll centers
Possible front splitter, - must adapt to stock bumper - must be small in appearance - must maintain street-ability.

Power -

Swap cats to Cobra comp cats (Bassani) - they are sitting on the shelf - Cobra is 4.6
Upgrade filters - try to spec Amsoil dry - anyone have dimensions of filters?.
Exhaust - sound, weight
Flash Tune

Springs -

1) I am considering VAP replacement. Are these springs adequately damped using the stock dampers? IMHO - the HR pogo is under damped dampers for that spring for whatever reason.

2) Has anyone calculated the roll center change with both VAP and HR. I am concerned about this as I am a big believer in controlling the roll centers and only because I want to track it some. I have been unable to find any information on this. How far do the roll centers migrate vertically and horizontally from their stock locations once the car is lowered. If anyone has control arm dimensions I could model this in suspension analyzer.

Wheels -

Switch to 10 Spoke wheels spray anthracite or some darker shade (black is out for me).
If anyone has an OEM set and wants to sell please PM.
If a vendor can sell me after market 19" 10 spoke please PM and lets talk. I would rather not use spacers.
I read you can move the wheels outboard 15mm front 20 mm rear. I believe several have purchased new wheels with these offsets built in rather than using spacers. Does any one have final offset dimensions for such a wheel - I am being lazy - please forgive me.

Power -

What is with the horrible throttle response off idle? How do I fix this? How the hell can $110K dollar sports car not rev off idle?

The clutch is quite weird. How do you smoothly engage the clutch without (what seems like) prematurely engaging between shifts?

Brakes -

Wilwood two piece rotors - front and rear - reduced unsprung.

Don't worry I am not going to rip the interior out , but will have to take it to the track at some point . Would love to run a GT4.

Beautiful cars here - enjoy you guys work.

x-chr

Old 10-13-2016, 10:56 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Hi Cliff, fabulous selection of cars! Congratulations on adding the Vantage, you're going to love it. Are you still in Portland?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:57 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the car, it looks like you have big plans for it...

Old 10-14-2016, 06:13 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
The rev response and clutch engagement is what irks me as well, after 2 years it still takes a few rev match down shifts before I get natural with it again, whereas other cars I become accustomed to it as soon as I get going.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
The rev response and clutch engagement is what irks me as well, after 2 years it still takes a few rev match down shifts before I get natural with it again ........
yea - I rev match everything and have not been able to find it - quite strange for such potential.

It's life is destined for beauty. The FIA is for the track. Still - I'd like to run the crap out of it once.

chr

Old 10-14-2016, 11:57 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Cliff,

I have these 10-spoke wheels off a DB9. Any wheel from AM you likely will need to use spacers if you want them flush. These are 19's 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. They need no refurbishing at all, just likely a powder coat refinish to a graphite or gunmetal. Likely look really good. I would price them very good for you. Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Mitch P. is on a distinguished road
Nice Vantage and collection! Welcome to the club!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Cliff,

I have these 10-spoke wheels off a DB9.
Wow - beautiful.

Spacers are not a deal breaker - I can't rev match it anyway - LOL!

It took me 2 years to get the wheels pushed out on the FIA with no spacers and no extended ball joints. We machined our own control arms and fitted to SpeedTech uprights. Way too much work, though it does bring a smile.

PM sent.

x-chr

Old 10-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
Nice Vantage and collection! Welcome to the club!
Thanks Mitch

Camas --

Come by some time - we are in Clackamas on Industrial way.

chr

Old 10-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Sheriff - I may be too dumb to contact you with PM. Shoot a mail to rfq@iismet.com.

x-chr

Old 10-15-2016, 07:27 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by era2076
Sheriff - I may be too dumb to contact you with PM. Shoot a mail to rfq@iismet.com.

x-chr

Nope likely not enough posts to PM yet. When you do, just click the name and then send PM.

I emailed you today, let me know sir. Thanks

Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Sheriff - Thanks for the offer, but there is just no way I could paint those wheels - far too beautiful. I contacted a local shop that restores wheels. I am going to take the seven spokes in next week and have them repainted. I will mount them with spacers. If we can get the look right I have my eye on a set of HRE RS103M.

We got the car on the rack yesterday and there are some things that make me hesitant with my plan.

The execution under the car is jaw dropping. I won't be lowering it. I will have to take it to my exhaust guys to see if I can swap the cats. The originals have a sensor welded into the cat. The stock exhaust is art so any changes will have to match.

Can anyone speak to swapping in headers. What disassembly is required?

x-chr

Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Wow - beautiful.

Spacers are not a deal breaker - I can't rev match it anyway - LOL!

It took me 2 years to get the wheels pushed out on the FIA with no spacers and no extended ball joints. We machined our own control arms and fitted to SpeedTech uprights. Way too much work, though it does bring a smile.

PM sent.

x-chr
only way you're going to push the wheels out w/o spacers is to go about 10.5-11.5" wide in the rear with the proper offset.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Sheriff - Thanks for the offer, but there is just no way I could paint those wheels - far too beautiful. I contacted a local shop that restores wheels. I am going to take the seven spokes in next week and have them repainted. I will mount them with spacers. If we can get the look right I have my eye on a set of HRE RS103M.
We can certainly get the look right. All of HRE's wheels are custom built to specifically fit each customer's model specific vehicle. No "off the shelf" wheels here. They are guaranteed to be almost completely flush with the fenders giving you a more aggressive look and widening your track. Will DM you shortly.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:14 PM
ahcjar103 is on a distinguished road
congrats on the purchase! did you get it from d&C motors?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.