Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Interesting DB9 Gear Selection Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Interesting DB9 Gear Selection Error

I was driving my '06 DB9 (auto) around town today. I noticed some stumbling at idle when stopped at traffic lights (might be coil pack time), so I shifted from D to P at the lights to get a better feeling of the idle. At one light, I shifted from D to P twice. When I pressed D again, the car wouldn't move. I turned the ignition off and restarted, but when I pressed D I noticed that the button seemed to be stuck in...it didn't depress much.
Then I noticed an error message on the instrument panel. Frankly I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was something like "Repeated Gear Selection."
It was a bit stressful: I was in the center left-turn lane at a light leading into a shopping center, and traffic began to back up behind me. I called AAA and they told me they'd arrive in about 45 minutes.
I decided to try something. I still had the plastic pry tool in the car that I had used to remove the console recently, so I pried off the ski slope. I then reached behind and removed the connector from the D button. The button immediately popped out.
I then reattached the connector, started the car, and pressed D, and drove off into the shopping center.
No further problems for the rest of the day...except that stumble at idle.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Interesting. Glad you were able to self-serve the repair.

Stumbling at idle may be a weak/old battery.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Wow, kudos on your on the spot fix!!

Old 10-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
"A bit stressful" My worst nightmare having the car break down in traffic.

Huzzah! to you for the quick thinking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.