Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Does AM stitching fade over time ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Does AM stitching fade over time ?

Mine is a 2015 DB9. Bought it new. Black interior with Spicy Red stitching. Does this stitching fade over time ? I always cover my DB9 with AM's Ultimate Car Cover. But noticed stitching fade in the back.
Anybody noticed stitching fade in their cars ?

Old 12-18-2016, 06:47 PM
mugget is on a distinguished road
My red stitching has definitely faded. I replaced my instrument cluster cover over the summer and you could definitely see fading happened on the stitching and after seeing that I also noticed that a lot of my other dash stitching, mostly the stitching most exposed to direct sunlight, is also faded. My car was in Texas all its life prior to me buying it last year.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I am in FL and always cover the car when not in use. I take the cover to work also and cover the car. Very surprised to see fading.

Originally Posted by mugget
My red stitching has definitely faded. I replaced my instrument cluster cover over the summer and you could definitely see fading happened on the stitching and after seeing that I also noticed that a lot of my other dash stitching, mostly the stitching most exposed to direct sunlight, is also faded. My car was in Texas all its life prior to me buying it last year.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I also recently replaced the instrument binnacle cover and noticed a big difference in the old vs. new yellow stitching. The top of the dash waterfall stitching is most notably faded. I would think the color of your stitching is a big factor in resistance to fading; for example, I doubt you would see much fade on the default silver stitching. Bottom line - these precious interiors don't age well in sun - definitely use a car cover or at least a windshield solar shade when parked in the sun for long periods.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:27 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Everything fades over time. Exteriors, interiors. Paint, rubber, plastic. Leather, carpet, stitching. Ultraviolet light is the enemy.

Garages, clearcoat, wax, shade, car covers are your protection.

Car companies endlessly test materials and completed vehicles in labs and in the field. Ford's primary UV facility is in Naples, Florida. Materials labs are in Dearborn.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Stitching on my DB9 seat covers faded around April 2017. AM Service acknowledged and ordered new seat covers. Order was lost in their system and after sales manager ordered them again. AM service replaced the seat covers and sent the car to me. To my surprise, instead of black Obsidian, they replaced with grey covers and punched a large hole for the seat side button so that foam comes out. I am surprised they even replaced the covers with a different color without even asking me. After exchanging several emails and photos, after sales manager acknowledged the issue and emailed me in June 2018 that new covers are being ordered. I didn't hear from him for 3 months. So tried to contact him by email. No response. Just last week, came to know that after sales manager left and they are trying to find what's going on. This is how I am tortured since April 2017 :-(

Last edited by cuddapah; 09-22-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
303 products marine aerospace uv protectant it works on everything! BTW I'm not affiliated with this product for sales or promotions.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cuddapah
Stitching on my DB9 seat covers faded around April 2017. AM Service acknowledged and ordered new seat covers. Order was lost in their system and after sales manager ordered them again. AM service replaced the seat covers and sent the car to me. To my surprise, instead of black Obsidian, they replaced with grey covers and punched a large hole for the seat side button so that foam comes out. I am surprised they even replaced the covers with a different color without even asking me. After exchanging several emails and photos, after sales manager acknowledged the issue and emailed me in June 2018 that new covers are being ordered. I didn't hear from him for 3 months. So tried to contact him by email. No response. Just last week, after repeatedly asking AM service, they break news to me that after sales manager left and they are trying to find what's going on. Even after repeatedly contacting them, they wouldn't update me. This is how I am tortured since April 2017 :-(
Send me an email Velocitybts@yahoo.com

Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Send me an email Velocitybts@yahoo.com
Emailed you!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J doubleU
303 products marine aerospace uv protectant it works on everything! BTW I'm not affiliated with this product for sales or promotions.
I use their products on the trim and on some tires. It's weird, some brands of tires look good with the 303 and others do not. No rhyme or reason to it. I too recommend the 303 products, easy to apply, Local AM service manager pretty much mandates a windshield cover between the fading and shrinking. I buy one for every car either way.

There are some clear windshield films that block UV. I wouldn't mind trying one, but am curious how the yearly inspection sticker fares with it?

Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I use their products on the trim and on some tires. It's weird, some brands of tires look good with the 303 and others do not. No rhyme or reason to it. I too recommend the 303 products, easy to apply, Local AM service manager pretty much mandates a windshield cover between the fading and shrinking. I buy one for every car either way.

There are some clear windshield films that block UV. I wouldn't mind trying one, but am curious how the yearly inspection sticker fares with it?

CarPro Pearl used straight is a wonderful tire dressing. That will produce a nice shine to the tire while AMMONYC Mud will darken the tire but not make it all shiny. I prefer the Pearl on my RRS and the Mud on my Aston. Clients get Pearl usually unless specified they want more of a matte look.

Clear windshield coverings such as Bray on the outside or any of the films for the inside make no difference to inspections. They are clear and optically so. Inspections only come into play with tinted coverings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.