Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stuff I am working on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 03:11 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Did you ever get around to installing the new fixed seats?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
The seats have been ordered, but I was unwilling to pay for air freight so we have to wait on the next boat.

chr

Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM
On Mustangs -

LOL - My co-driver Mike and I were just talking about how great the Vantage is on the track. At the end of the conversation he said ' "I can't wait to run the Mustang again". We both agreed it is a cantankerous thing to drive, but for some reason it is still a blast. We did not get to run it this year because we decided to put a true flat bottom with a diffuser out back. It is a lot of work, but we are both anxious to see if we can get down force. We pulled the IRS and replaced all of the pivot points with Delrin. I Isolated the IRS cradle many years ago with POLY. Those are being replaced with UHMW. I cleaned the poly cradle bushings and they looked perfect. We are re-gearing from 3:55 to 3:73. We plan to run the bottom 2.5 inches above the ground with and 8 deg ceiling in the diffuser. The first to tackle is converting to side exhaust.

A few pictures while we wait on seats.

We used Spintech race mufflers - I have no idea if they will be quiet enough. Establishing the floor height is more than I thought - LOL

Pipes will come thru this opening. We are going to try to push fresh air down the cavity.

Our plan is to fabricate fully then take to exhaust shop to connect from heads to side.We got side tracked running the Vantage but we are setting the Vantage back up for the street so hopefully we will be back on it soon, This is our first prototype of the sill cover.

I did some reading about the Viper coupes burning themselves down so this was re-engineered with d-zus fastened such that the cover can come off without opening the door. We set the floor 3" above ground. We will add extended ball joints to front to drop the last 1/2 inch. It runs McPherson on the front so this will leave he lower control are parallel to ground. We have to move fuel and brake lines in the tunnel. That will allow us to weld an X between the sub-frame connectors. I am hoping it will help stiffen the beer can, but for sure it will give us something to attach the center section of floor to.

Hill Billies and Mustangs - it's a "Yank" thing

chr

Old 10-15-2018, 01:01 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07
The front upper arms are actually:
RHS: DG43-3084-AB
LHS: DG43-3091-AB
These fronts are on the V12VS and also the GT8.

The rear upper arms:
ED23-5K743-AA (universal sided)

The fronts can be put on any Vantage..V8/V12, doesn't matter. It's the rears that some ppl run into an issue due to the upper rears having the headlight leveling sensor attached. You could in theory just tie wrap or make your own mounting for the level sensor arm...Aston actually deleted the level sensor because it did virtually nothing with the stiff suspension(if you have the sensor, don't just keep it lose, needs to be fixed/secured to arm). Drill a hole, tap it and a 1-hole 'L' bracket works great. The cutoff for not having the rear level sensor attached to upper arm is 12.25MY.

The V12V and V12VS arms are not the same. The V12V still has the plastic bushing sleeves while the 2013+ DB9/Vanquish/V12VS all have metal sleeved bushing. The plastic sleeved bushing are known to slide/walk in the arm and the metal sleeved bushings stay in place.

FYI, when the bushing walks/slides, this offsets the caster which affects the camber, and in result sets out the toe..aka screws up your alignment and wears tires prematurely.
thanks for the clarification here.

What I wonder is where the differences in suspension hardware and setup is for the different Vantage models.
From reading The Book, I learned that the was a upgrade/change of "suspension setup" when AM introduced the V8V roadster.
That change was then apparently introduced into the Coupe in 2009.
Then in 2012 they introduced the faster rack.

However, I am interessted to find out what was changed?
If the arms stayed the same (in geometry, not bushings), did they changed the subframe to alter the arms locations and subsequent the geometry?
The knuckle (as far as I could find) seems the same and only changed with the larger brakes (V8VS).

Does anyone have insights here?

Thomas

Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
To add to the confusion and or frustration, I have two lower fronts I purchased for a reported increase in bushing stiffness

Assuming they matched the original geometry on the car, we measured one so I can calculate the motion ratio. Using the OEM spring data published here, I plan to calculate the OEM ride frequency.

We media blasted it and it is a 4G43-3A053-BD. We have it's brother and they are listed at Aston Bits for a DB9.

I need to verify I have the correct arms. Stuart if you see this will you confirm I have the correct arms.

x-chr

Last edited by era2076; 10-19-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Publish full part number
Old 11-15-2018, 03:02 PM
We got our VAP headers and clutch installed. I am truly astonished. VAP included 2 tunes with the programmer. One with EGR, one without. The CEL was illuminated when I picked it up. I drove it back to the shop and flashed the tune with EGR delete and everything cleared. Drive-ability is exquisite and the sound quite intoxicating. It seems to be a bit higher pitched after the headers. Acceleration is just so smooth and quick. The clutch engagement is so short on the pedal i had to adjust the seat back.

I have not researched the physical deletion of the EGR valve. Are most of you pulling the valve and using a blocking plate or leaving it all connected and only plugging the port?

Big Thanks to Velocity - beautiful stuff.

x-chr

Old 11-15-2018, 03:47 PM
I talked to Chris at VAP. They have handled everything. Leave everything connected as delivered from Aston, plug the port (22x1.5) and be happy. We ordered the plug from McMaster-Carr

chr

Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 AM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Seat update?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Cobra Nogaro

The Nogaro's came in. They are very narrow. I am 5'6 160lb and they are narrow. Not sure my 6' 240 co driver is going to fit. The quality is very nice. That said they are very utilitarian. They come with very generic instructions and nothing on the electronics so like everything with building cars a new science project.

Have not figured out the 4 spacers yet. Thought perhaps they are spacers between seat and rail but nothing lined up. Hoping they will fall into place when we pull the OEM seats,

I think they will suit my purposes just fine

Will get them weighed in the next couple of days.

chr

Last edited by era2076; 04-06-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Add Title
Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know the stock size of the OEM lap belt retention bolt that attaches the lap belt to the seat? We are thinking of trying to use something like this to secure the OEM lap Belt to the seat. Then we could just clip the harness lap belt in for track work.

x-chr

Last edited by era2076; 01-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Mail from Hooked On Driving

Why did HOD decide to require SFI or FIA approved Head and Neck restraints for cars with 5 and 6-point harnesses? Simply put, we want to mitigate and reduce risks at our events by applying common sense when we see the opportunity. Our National Leadership Team, including myself, Mike and Mona Arrigo, Paul Richardson, Jon Hart, Adam Ricardel, Teri Barrett, Mike Gerhard, and Tupper Hull are unanimous in this decision.

This is why: Street cars now have amazingly effective three-point restraint systems. In an impact, the belt, retractor, and airbags work as an integrated system to soften the impact by allowing some movement, while “catching” the upper body and head to prevent most injuries. A 5 or 6-point harness, with the addition of a head and neck restraint device, also becomes a system. The harnesses restrain the upper body, and the head and neck restraint device prevents the head and neck from accelerating forward and allowing a dangerous situation and possible injury. We believe that a factory three-point system is safer than a 5 or 6-point harness with no head and neck restraint. Yes, most of us put the harness system in the car to hold us tight as we drive the car hard through turns – a good thing. However, without the addition of a head and neck device, we’ve improved our personal comfort, but at the expense of our safety.

Here is a link to a brief video that is graphic and somewhat alarming, but both people survived this crash – as it was a slow speed slide in to a ditch. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK if you have ANY DOUBT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

Head and neck restraint devices simply make sense. Head and neck restraint devices are easy to use, making the driver (and passenger if any) much safer. We strongly believe that the one-time cost is worth the benefit.

Our sponsor Wine Country Motor Sports is reducing the cost of approved Head and Neck restraint devices to Team HOD members. Starting today, for 90 days, at the Sonoma Wine Country Motor Sports store in Sonoma, CA, on in-store or phone-in orders, at 800-708-7223, Team HOD members will receive 15% off on any eligible Head and Neck device. This offer will be extended at the Colorado and Florida stores as of February 1st. HOD is NOT benefiting from these sales, and Wine Country Motor Sports is discounting products that are generally not found on sale.

At HOD, safety is our number one priority, and being proactive like this has helped HOD achieve an industry leading safety record. HOD is leading the way in this direction – it is simply the right thing to do. We encourage other organizations to follow. Note that we are allowing a one event grace period as the word gets out and drivers get equipped.
2019 is our 15th year of operation – and we look forward to many more years of safe fun with you on track!

Sincerely,
David Ray, Founder
Hooked On Driving

Old 01-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Head and Neck restraints are certainly a good thing on track.
I'm a fan of the Simpson Hybrid System combined with quick release connectors.
Really easy to use with almost zero reduction in comfort.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by era2076

Have not figured out the 4 spacers yet. Thought perhaps they are spacers between seat and rail but nothing lined up. Hoping they will fall into place when we pull the OEM seats,

chr
These Nogaro's are looking stealth...

Probably the 4 spacers go across the seat underneath the sliders, so to stiffen sideways?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Cobra Nogaro Weight

TR - yea we are waiting on a harness bar before we install. Am hoping once we pull the OEM seats we will get it figured out.

Weight with side brackets mounted

Weight with side brackets and sliders

chr

Last edited by era2076; 04-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Cliff-
thanks for measuring! Where does that put the savings over the OEM seat?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuff I am working on