Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Help! V8 Vantage won't shift out of neutral

Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nickplee
Interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what did the repair run you, and what was done?

I don't think that's my issue, since the car shifted fine after replacing the fuse, but I'm curious to see another data point.

Nick - it was about $1300 to repair at an independent Aston Martin service shop in Atlanta. Most of that was labor to diagnose the issue as they had to do smoke tests, etc. to determine where the leak was. I'm out of town and don't have the invoice in front of me, but it was basically explained to me that there is a send and return line (one in each direction for transmission fluid) that runs from engine area to transmission in rear - these hoses are sold as a kit by AM and that's what was replaced. I agree your issue is a little different even though the message is the same - I think it's just the car's way of going into safe mode to prevent further potential damage to the transmission...

Old 03-04-2017, 01:00 PM
nickplee is an unknown quantity at this point
Update on this!

I took it to an independent mechanic in my area (Off Camber Autosport in Dover, NJ-- Mo is great).

Did a bunch of stuff to the car:

- New pads & rotors all around, brakes bled
- Coolant flush
- New FEAD belt

most importantly, regarding the transmission:

- Replaced SportShift lines, reservoir, and fluid. They were leaking.
- While replacing the lines, a plastic nipple on the ASM solenoid pack cracked (for the CHF11S fluid return to the reservoir). He tapped threads into the hole it was pressed into and replaced with a brass fitting. Pic attached.
- Replaced worn ASM relay (computer had a fault stored for it. it got stuck on.)

- Bled ASM system using the computer.

Car drives wonderfully. I did get three warning tones from the dash on my way home today while shifting, but I couldn't tell what it was complaining about. Seems fine otherwise.

�� Total cost: $4500. ��

Last edited by nickplee; 03-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:22 PM
It never ends

Just pulled the car into my NYC garage. The cool part is that I parked the car next to a (seemingly abandoned) Vanquish.

The not-so-cool part is that I think the rear drip tray is soaked with the CHF 11S fluid used by the ASM system

Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had a 2009 - also same color, but with a tan interior - had 43,000 miles on the sportshift (I was 4th owner) - no problems but was Aston Martin maintained all annuals done so I had it with an extended warranty till I traded on a 15 GT (Sportshift) last year. I'd NEVER take an Aston to an independent - they would not likely have access to the service bulletins and maintenance quirks that the dealer would perform at the annual inspections. For example, one locally 2008 Vantage had the hood open at 60MPH - $9000 in damage plus the carfax that destroys value along with it - why? because the independent did not have access to the annual adjustment needed to assure the hood would not fly open. Yes, the annual inspection costs are not cheap, but either are the consequences... of course just my opinion. The Vantages can be gotten cheap, some $100,000 less than sticker now used - but it's still a $150K car with the maintenance to go along with it. Personally I would not buy an independent maintained Vantage unless the owner paid for a full Aston inspection along with the fixes that were discovered.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
All modern cars have a safety latch to prevent this. (Lever you move at the top of the grill to open the hood after pulling the opener inside the car) AFAIK there is no annual adjustment for the safety latch. ??

Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Oh so that was your car at off camber

Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by embdenb
all modern cars have a safety latch to prevent this. (lever you move at the top of the grill to open the hood after pulling the opener inside the car) afaik there is no annual adjustment for the safety latch. ??
+1...

Old 04-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I was told that there is a service bulletin that the cable to the latch needs to be adjusted at annual inspection to prevent the possibility of the hood flying open - I got that info from an Aston mechanic. true or not - I don't know.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
It's on the annual maintenance sheet?

Name:  ForumRunner_20170405_130025.png
Views: 2983
Size:  807.4 KB

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
Oh so that was your car at off camber
Yep. You know them?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.