Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8V OEM backbox query

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:17 PM
rickg is an unknown quantity at this point
V8V OEM backbox query

Hi guys, well i've put a decat on and paired it with my tubi backbox.....the car is stupidly loud now! I do alot of shows and love the noise but not 24/7.

I have two questions about the oem backbox:

1. With the valves open is the backbox 'straight through'?

2. When I had the oem backbox on the car, i think the valves were stuck to a open position so it was always 'loud' even with fuse 22 pulled. I understand I need to look at the actuators to check if they are seized, can it be anything else?

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Do you mean with fuse 22 in? With it out the valves are always open. It also depends on what year your car is, it changed to fuse 15? in 2013? Not positive of the details but know it changed later.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 PM
hi bud thanks for the reply. My car is a 2006, and i just inspected the stock backbox. One of the valves were seized so i have no free'd it up. Could it be that it the valve was stuck in an open position therefore it was always on loud mode??

I would have presumed that even if one of the valves was seized open then by putting fuse 22 back in the other valve would have at least closed making the exhaust quieter??

Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
When vacuum is applied, fuse 22 in and not in the rpm range where the bypass opens, the quiet mode is invoked. If you pull the fuse 22, no vacuum regardless of condition so the car is loud.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by millsjq
When vacuum is applied, fuse 22 in and not in the rpm range where the bypass opens, the quiet mode is invoked. If you pull the fuse 22, no vacuum regardless of condition so the car is loud.
yep i get that. if one of the actuators is seized will the other still operate?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Yes, As long as there is not a vacuum leak, one valve being frozen would not effect the other

Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Well I put fuse 22 back in and I heard a tapping clicking sound from the rear of the car which I presume is the pump. However when I tried to put the ignition on again after half hour I didn't hear the pump again. Is this normal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.